Transmission will not downshift on its own - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transmissions Shift Kits, Transmissions, Torque Converters, Clutches

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2l
Transmission will not downshift on its own

Ok I need some help here badly.
First off let me start off by telling you what I have .

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango.
It is the 5.2l V8 Magnum with an auto tranny.
The truck has been well maintained and has only 108,000 miles on it.

The issue I am having is I drove the truck for 15 minutes down the road today and stopped to grab an ice coffee at the cumberland farms and left the engine running and the AC on while I ran into the store. Up till this point the truck was running perfectly normal. Now I went to pull out and the truck had no power and seemed to be stuck in too high a gear. ( almost like it never downshifted) So I manually switch down to D2 and it drove fine and then switched up at 2500 rpm's to overdrive ( D3) and carried on about my way.
When I got home I pulled up my driveway only to have the truck barely get up the driveway as it would not downshift on its own.
The truck will run fine if I upshift myself from D1to D2 then to D3 but I am not sure why.

Now info that might pertain to this issue....not sure but I want you to know everything about the tranny.

I had a leaky tranny pan gasket for about 5 months and just kept adding fluid to keep it going as I had no idea what was leaking but I had just had surgery on my foot to reconstruct it and was pretty much uncapable of getting under it so 2 weeks ago I finally power washed it ...saw the leak and replaced the tranny pan gasket and did a full fluid change and filter. Leak went away and it is full of fluid at warm idle in Nuetral as required at testing.

I had put Lucas into it a few times as I thought that may help the leak not knowing it was just loose pan bolts but as I said I had no way of getting under it to check.

It has driven for 2 plus weeks perfectly fine with no leaks but all of a sudden it stopped shifting down out of the clear blue. Maybe the drop down linkage? Or a switch or something. I am clueless as to what tranny it is even. I am guessing a 46Re or 44Re ???

I posted this up in the tranny section on the forum as well but I was hoping I could get your opinion.

Oh and it just threw a check engine light code on the way home tonight after I drove it for about 45minute , shifting it manually. Might have caused the code as I am no perfect shifter but not sure. I will need to find a code reader to read it but I was told a tranny issue won't trip a check engine light. Is that right?

some one has told me that after a tranny fluid and filter chanfge that the transmission needs to be reset or something ??? true?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Mopar lover

Vehicle: 04 QC Dak. SLT+ 4x4 4.7L
Shorted 02 sensors can really freak these transmissions out. (42RE, 46,47,48RE's) Get your DTC and report back. Can you cycle your ignition switch from off to on *not started* 3 times within 3 seconds with the final position being in the on position and look at your odometer is should tell you.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trad444 View Post
Shorted 02 sensors can really freak these transmissions out. (42RE, 46,47,48RE's) Get your DTC and report back. Can you cycle your ignition switch from off to on *not started* 3 times within 3 seconds with the final position being in the on position and look at your odometer is should tell you.
I tried that 3 in 3 sec trick (never heard of it before though ) but it did not do anything and I tried it like 10 times. Nothing came up. Must not work with my year durango or something. I will head to auto zone to read it tomorrow
Old 06-04-2010, 06:11 AM

just found this info

[quote]2000 and newer Dakotas and Durangos have a built-in system that can display check engine light (CEL) codes without the use of a scanner. 1999 and earlier Dakotas/Durangos must be read with a scanner, check your local dealership or auto parts store for assistance.
[quote]
Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 AM

as I continu researching this and with the help of another member here on the forum via email consult I am begining to feel as though the issue may be the govenor pressure sensor and selenoid. Sound Right?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:36 AM

Vehicle: '98 Durango 5.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddee View Post
as I continu researching this and with the help of another member here on the forum via email consult I am begining to feel as though the issue may be the govenor pressure sensor and selenoid. Sound Right?
my 98 durango is doing the exact same thing. did u ever figure out the problem or not? its getting annoying having to shift an automatic tranny at every stop light.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:41 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango R/T
Did you ever fix the problem? mine is doing the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: