transfer case problems - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Gen III Dakotas 1997-2004 Dakota-Specific Questions

post #1 of Old 05-17-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Junkydakota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

transfer case problems

I've got a 2001 dakota quadcab with the 244d awd transfer case and i'm pretty sure its going bad. It started off with a low rumble this morning and within a mile it was making a squealing/howling/gravel in a dryer sound that was worse when you hit the throttle but eventually was all the time. The service 4wd light came and went a few times but when I locked it in 4wd high or low they both worked. I pulled the fill plug but didn't see any metal at all. Any ideas? Also could I swap in a 233(?) t-case so I could get a little better mileage? If so does the wiring or computers need swapped? Also can I pull the front shaft and drive without problems?

Last edited by Junkydakota; 05-17-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Trouble Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkydakota View Post
I've got a 2001 dakota quadcab with the 244d awd transfer case and i'm pretty sure its going bad. It started off with a low rumble this morning and within a mile it was making a squealing/howling/gravel in a dryer sound that was worse when you hit the throttle but eventually was all the time. The service 4wd light came and went a few times but when I locked it in 4wd high or low they both worked. I pulled the fill plug but didn't see any metal at all. Any ideas? Also could I swap in a 233(?) t-case so I could get a little better mileage? If so does the wiring or computers need swapped? Also can I pull the front shaft and drive without problems?
Sounds like the front drive shaft CV joint is taking a dump. Pull the front shaft, put it in 4wd so the truck will move and see if the sound is still there.

Switching to a 233 won't gain you much since in 2wd all the parts in the front still turn.

Russ
His-SASed 02 Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4x4 4.7 NV3500 5spd/Std D44/9.25" 4.88s lockers frt/rr 35" ProComp Extreme MTs frt EPi 9k Superwinch rear LP 8.5k Superwinch
Also his: 09 Power Wagon Hemi 4.56 gears 285/70R17 Duratracs factory winch and lockers
Hers-03 Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4x4 4.7 545RFE 5spd/Auto 3.92 L/S 265/75R16 Dueler RVTs 5th wheel hitch
post #3 of Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Junkydakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker View Post
Sounds like the front drive shaft CV joint is taking a dump. Pull the front shaft, put it in 4wd so the truck will move and see if the sound is still there.

Switching to a 233 won't gain you much since in 2wd all the parts in the front still turn.
I'll do that after work tomorrow. Will it be safe to drive much with it out if no noise? Also the tag says new process 244d not new venture?
post #4 of Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 AM
HemiDak
Mods Addict

Quote:
I'll do that after work tomorrow. Will it be safe to drive much with it out if no noise? Also the tag says new process 244d not new venture?
You can drive the truck like that forever, and it won't hurt anything.

New Process and New Venture are the same companies. Just a name change is all.
post #5 of Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 AM
Trouble Maker

Quote:
Will it be safe to drive much with it out if no noise? Also the tag says new process 244d not new venture?
Not as long as you have it in 4wd so the center diff in the t-case is locked.

New Process/New Venture are the same company.

Russ
His-SASed 02 Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4x4 4.7 NV3500 5spd/Std D44/9.25" 4.88s lockers frt/rr 35" ProComp Extreme MTs frt EPi 9k Superwinch rear LP 8.5k Superwinch
Also his: 09 Power Wagon Hemi 4.56 gears 285/70R17 Duratracs factory winch and lockers
Hers-03 Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4x4 4.7 545RFE 5spd/Auto 3.92 L/S 265/75R16 Dueler RVTs 5th wheel hitch
post #6 of Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Junkydakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker View Post

You win a prize!! The cv joint was crunchy! Took the shaft out, boot ripped and no grease. Also the tranny shop that did my rebuild lastyear left the wiring harness lay across the joint and it ate through some wires.
Anyway, does anybody reman these? Advanced or autozone?
post #7 of Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 PM
HemiDak
Mods Addict

Search here first:

www.car-part.com

Last time I needed CV axles I got them for $33/each from my favorite local wrecker.
post #8 of Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Junkydakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiDak View Post
Search here first:

www.car-part.com

Last time I needed CV axles I got them for $33/each from my favorite local wrecker.
I tried car-part.com and the closest to me was 126 miles away and they wanted $200. Advanced sells a reman for $309 so I guess thats what i'll do.
post #9 of Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 AM
HemiDak
Mods Addict

When I first read your post I thought you were talking about a CV axle, and not the CV joint in the driveshaft. My mistake.
post #10 of Old 05-23-2010, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Junkydakota

The shaft from advanced came with a u joint at both ends and a sticker on it saying the problematic cvs are replaced with ujoints and spin balanced to 3500 rpm. Well I read on ebay the same thing from a place selling the shafts but they did not recommend them for awd applications. And it turns out i'm getting a vibration from about 65-70 mph on up, and even a little bit when braking to a stop. So should I have a cv shaft instead? Will this ruin my transfer case front bearing?? I'm worried.
post #11 of Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Junkydakota

Any ideas? Anybody got a 2wd t-case they want to get rid of?
post #12 of Old 05-25-2010, 03:28 AM
HemiDak
Mods Addict

Quote:
Any ideas? Anybody got a 2wd t-case they want to get rid of?
There aren't any. 2wd's have tail housings on the back of the transmission instead of a transfer case.
post #13 of Old 05-25-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Junkydakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiDak View Post
There aren't any. 2wd's have tail housings on the back of the transmission instead of a transfer case.
lol, a t-case thats capable of 2wd rather than awd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: