Sub box under GenII Dak rear seat? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Audio, Security & Multimedia Speakers, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Alarms, TV's, Game Consoles

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Vehicle: 94 Dakota 5.2L
Sub box under GenII Dak rear seat?

Sorry if this is already out there somewhere, I searched, but I don't have the time or patience to read ten pages of threads that match my keywords:

I was wondering if anyone has made the a gen II CC's rear storage/jack compartment area into a sub box. I have two Jensen 10's and I want to cut a hole in each of the door panels and bolt one speaker, facing upward, to the underside of each. Or, I can put both subs into one panel, and the amp on the other side/underneath.
Either way, I want to keep my rear seat functional because I have to drive more than one passenger fairly often. And having it under the seat is super low key, completely my style.

I'm not asking if this can be done, cause I know I can do it, no problem. All I need to know is, can I get good sound out of something plastic like that? I have no concept of how 'proper' sub boxes are designed, but I have only seen them made of wood. Also, the box the subs are coming out of has two big ass plastic vent holes that are circular with about a 6" diameter, are those important?

I can pretty easily build a custom one out of wood, but I don't want that extra weight, and I really want to keep at least one of my storage compartments functional.

As always, thanks for any tips or ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Ok, I tried harder, but still came up with very little, and the threads are oldish, anybody got any new input?

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...highlight=subs

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...highlight=subs

I'll just try my idea, see if it works, and get back with news for anyone who cares.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 PM
I need a beer...

Vehicle: 1994 Dakota Sport
I was always thinking of doing this, let me know how it turns out for you.
The Big Red Machine - 1994 Dodge Dakota CC Sport V6
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbugs1 View Post
I was always thinking of doing this, let me know how it turns out for you.
After I did some research, I doubt it will turn out well. My only real hope would be to hollow out the non jack side to allow enough air space, and put caulk all around the bottom of the whole storage box to make it air tight against the body of the truck. I want to try it, but I think I'm gonna end up with a pair of these http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...TS-SW2501S2|S4 instead, the air space they need is tiny, and I shouldn't have to hollow it out. Still won't be air tight, but worth a try. I think I'll have to make a box, and put some sort of slot in for the jack, which kinda sucks. meh. Two 300w 10's should be more than enough bass for a mid sized truck, right? Keep in mind I only wanna vibrate my own innards, and not so much those of people in cars adjacent.

btw, that roll bar kicks ass, is it custom?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:52 AM
I need a beer...

Vehicle: 1994 Dakota Sport
That is why I never got around to it, just too much work for me.

Thanks and no I found it on CL for $75
The Big Red Machine - 1994 Dodge Dakota CC Sport V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: