2003 Durango Blower Motor Problem? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Durango
2003 Durango Blower Motor Problem?

I have replaced the blower motor resistor 3 times now on my 2003 Durango and the last time, I noticed the conector was partially melted. I was able to get it apart to replace the resistor but it only worked for about a month. I ordered a new connector which comes with a crap load of wires as a repair kit but no instructions. Anyone have any idea where I might obtain the instructions?

Also, I read on the web that the problem may be a bad blower motor? Anyone ever heard of this?

If I have to replace the blower motor, what kind of cost will I be looking at and is it something I can do myself?

TIA,
Jimmy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Resident Craigslist Whore

Vehicle: Silvy, Kota and a Harley
Reputation: 104 6shooter is just really nice6shooter is just really nice
the blower motor stopped workin on one of the F150's at work. i started easy, replaced the resistor. still no fan. took the dash apart and found the back of the fan speed switch was melted. ford actually sold a replacement switch insert instead of having to replace the whole HVAC unit, which is handy. when that still didnt fix it i knew it was the motor. ordered a new one and pulled the old one out. the housing was rusty as shit and you could barely spin the shaft with a set of pliers on it. when an electric motor starts to drag or tries to freeze up, it draws more amps to try and overcome the obstruction/resistance. more amps = more power draw = more heat. sooner or later, the wiring/connectors wont be able to support the load being put on the system by the failing motor and will start melting shit.

ive never had my dak's fan motor out, but the F150 at work took about 45 mins to remove from the truck, remove the motor from the plastic housing, replace with new motor, and reinstall in the truck. the motor was a "universal" kind of wiring design, so with the wire colors of the motor (black/orange) matched to the truck (black/red) the fan ran backwards. just took the wiring back out of the connector and reversed them, works fine.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota Q.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT1950 View Post
I have replaced the blower motor resistor 3 times now on my 2003 Durango and the last time, I noticed the conector was partially melted. I was able to get it apart to replace the resistor but it only worked for about a month. I ordered a new connector which comes with a crap load of wires as a repair kit but no instructions. Anyone have any idea where I might obtain the instructions?

Also, I read on the web that the problem may be a bad blower motor? Anyone ever heard of this?

If I have to replace the blower motor, what kind of cost will I be looking at and is it something I can do myself?

TIA,
Jimmy
Your blower fan is drawing too many amps and melting the resistor/plug. Time to replace the fan. Don't replace the connector or resistor again until you replace the blower motor.....
Do a search for "FSM" on this site and you should be able to find the instructions.

If it is the same as an 01 Dak, I think you need to pull the hvac housing out to replace the fan - which is a bitch

Last edited by GWhaley; 04-28-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Durango 4x4 4.7L
ya I had this same issue, I replaced the fan, resistor and harness at the same time:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...28#post2324028
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: