2000 Dodge Dakota P0133 and P0171 Code help - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Control Parts Info Links : PCM Modules

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota V8 4.7L
2000 Dodge Dakota P0133 and P0171 Code help

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota V8 4.7 with two codes and are way to generic to figure out

P0133 which is 02 sensor slow response oxygen sensor response slower than min. required switching frequency.
&
P0171 which is fuel system lean A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.

My truck has horrible gas mileage 8-10 mpg and is shuddering when in any gear at lower speed.

I changed out the O2 before cadalitic and code went away for a day. Then they showed back up.

I hear that Power Steering can get into the harness of the steering sensor when it cracks and can foul up the o2 sensor. I took apart the harness and it was wet but with lubricant oil only from the manufacture. The wires were all dry so this is out of the questions

I am going to test the fuel pressure next, it says it should be 49.2 ish on these Dakota'

I am also going to test the volts on the Map Sensor but don't know which of the three prongs to test. I hear its suppose to be 5v when engine is running though?

I am not getting any black smoke but the 02 sensor was covered in black as the truck is running really rich. Even though the code says lean. arg.

Any advice you could give me. I am just trying to diagnose and save as much money as possible right now by fixing it myself. Is there any other possibility for this error that would cause the truck to act up like this that I am missing?

Thanks for your guidance,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 04:51 AM
5 DOORWHORE 201

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Durango
well when you find out let me know cause mine is dropping p0171 code and having the same symptoms as yours. i have checked for vac leaks checked fuel pressure map voltage and o2 sensors. here is the funny thing my truck only does it after i have been driving at highway speeds for 30 mins or so and if you park it for an hour or two and it is fine. i like my durango but I'm about to sell it due to this problem I'm over it and no one on this site can figure it out and I'm not about to take it to the stealer
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT QC
Your problem is being caused by a leaky power steering switch.

The switch develops a leak, which causes power steering fluid to seep into the engine wiring harness. The seepage eventually finds its way into the front O2 sensor, which then shorts out. The engine computer then starts reading a lean condition, and enriches the fuel/air mix going into the engine to compensate. However, since the shorted O2 sensor never responds to the extra fuel, the engine computer keeps shooting more and more excess fuel.

Replacing the O2 sensor by itself will not help matters, as you may have guessed. The seepage will have about a week or two to short out the new O2 sensor, then you will start seeing the same problem again.

The cure is to replace the leaky power steering switch (it's near the power steering pump), spray brake cleaner into the wiring harness until it drips off from near the front O2 sensor, let dry, and replace the front O2 sensor again. All of these actions must be completed, or you will see another recurrence of this exact problem.

56041335AA - Power Steering Switch - about $20.00 or so at rockauto.com

I troubleshot this exact same problem on my friend's Dakota (now my Dakota). He took it to a number of dealerships over a course of 2 years, and none of them could fix this problem.

2000 QC with 4.7L V8, 545RFE transmission, Polished/Ported Cylinder Heads, Bosch +4 Plugs, HO Cams, Mopar beehive valvesprings, bwdakrt 65 mm Throttle Body, Fuel Delivery mod, Magnaflow Hi-flow cat, Dynomax Cat-back, Trans-Go Shift Kit, JGC Fan conversion, no stock engine-driven fan, Ceramic front brake pads, Power Slot Cryo rotors, Goodridge S/S brake hoses, PLX M250 WB AFR gauge, 2004 Mopar fuel injectors, JBA Ceramic coated headers, coolant-based intake heater
Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Vehicle: Auto tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Your problem is being caused by a leaky power steering switch.

The switch develops a leak, which causes power steering fluid to seep into the engine wiring harness. The seepage eventually finds its way into the front O2 sensor, which then shorts out. The engine computer then starts reading a lean condition, and enriches the fuel/air mix going into the engine to compensate. However, since the shorted O2 sensor never responds to the extra fuel, the engine computer keeps shooting more and more excess fuel.

Replacing the O2 sensor by itself will not help matters, as you may have guessed. The seepage will have about a week or two to short out the new O2 sensor, then you will start seeing the same problem again.

The cure is to replace the leaky power steering switch (it's near the power steering pump), spray brake cleaner into the wiring harness until it drips off from near the front O2 sensor, let dry, and replace the front O2 sensor again. All of these actions must be completed, or you will see another recurrence of this exact problem.

56041335AA - Power Steering Switch - about $20.00 or so at rockauto.com

I troubleshot this exact same problem on my friend's Dakota (now my Dakota). He took it to a number of dealerships over a course of 2 years, and none of them could fix this problem.
Only time the p/s sensor would 'wick' into the 02s is if it is a california model (two sensors, one on each bank). Im having a similar issue but it only has one 02s and it is on the passenger side and the p/s switch is on the drives side. The wierd thing is that im having a p/s switch fault code also...wtf? i did a fuel injection service, replaced the plugs, and replaced both 02 sensors with mopar ones. fuel trims looked good so i let the truck go. over the weekend the truck came back with the same symtoms... im stuck.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzrx7man View Post
Only time the p/s sensor would 'wick' into the 02s is if it is a california model (two sensors, one on each bank).
My narrative above didn't pertain to a California model Dakota. My truck is a Federal model, and this thing described above happened to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzrx7man View Post
Im having a similar issue but it only has one 02s and it is on the passenger side and the p/s switch is on the drives side. The wierd thing is that im having a p/s switch fault code also...wtf? i did a fuel injection service, replaced the plugs, and replaced both 02 sensors with mopar ones. fuel trims looked good so i let the truck go. over the weekend the truck came back with the same symtoms... im stuck.
You are surprised that the power steering fluid would somehow wick itself all the way from the left-hand front of the engine, to the right-hand rear of the engine, near the transmission? This isn't at all surprising. Power steering fluid isn't water. It's stickier than water, and gets to be real thin if it's in a heated environment (hm... kind of like inside an engine compartment).

Replace your power steering switch, clean off the wiring harness with brake cleaner (you don't even have to take apart the harness - just spray inside and outside the harness), and replace the O2 sensors (again).

2000 QC with 4.7L V8, 545RFE transmission, Polished/Ported Cylinder Heads, Bosch +4 Plugs, HO Cams, Mopar beehive valvesprings, bwdakrt 65 mm Throttle Body, Fuel Delivery mod, Magnaflow Hi-flow cat, Dynomax Cat-back, Trans-Go Shift Kit, JGC Fan conversion, no stock engine-driven fan, Ceramic front brake pads, Power Slot Cryo rotors, Goodridge S/S brake hoses, PLX M250 WB AFR gauge, 2004 Mopar fuel injectors, JBA Ceramic coated headers, coolant-based intake heater
Old 06-20-2010, 05:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Durango
wow...what a timely response. I had a power steering switch code, and a lean fuel code...would have never guessed that they were related, but sure enough, replaced the switch and the 02 sensor (what a pain) today, and the check engine light went off, and my gas mileage shot way up! The engine light went off about 30 minutes later after a few starts and stops, and no more gas smell...thanks so much!!!

mm0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: