Noise in front diff :( and more! - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 durango R/T
Noise in front diff :( and more!

Hi there would like to start by taking you for the space!

So heres the situation,

I have a 2001 durango r/t with the 5.9 awd set up.

when I bought the truck a year ago I heard this noise when turning tight, it sounds like a cv click. So I replace both and replace both wheel bearings at the same time noise is still there and now it will actually stop the truck if im in reverse not pushing the fuel pedal. I need help I'm at my wits end ! lol

some one said the the main pin might be be worn out or the side gears are moving in. ive herd soooo many possibilities, if the side gears are pushing in to the king gears and what not how do u adjust them out some?

Thank you guys in advance
Kevin Coleman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Grab life by the horns

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge durango
Well if possible I would go to a junkyard and get one out of an old truck and replace yours with it. The cost of replacing what your talking about probably will cost a lot of money and could possible be beyond your capabilities unless your a good mechanic.
02 Dodge durango 4.7, 32" goodyear wrangler mtr's, afe cold air intake, fastman tb, clutch fan delete, transgo shift kit, superchips, powertrax locker, rancho rs5000 shocks, clear corners, propod 3 gauge pod, nu image gauge face, altezza tail lights
Old 04-11-2010, 04:22 PM

I have some one that is going to do it for me but want to get everything together and right before i take it to him so that it cost me less to repair.

and the only other front diff that is available around here thay want 1500 for it i was thinking just take the front axles out but everyone keeps saying i cant cause it all wheel drive.

i would like to make it 2wd 4wd liek the datotas but hear that wouldnt work either
Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 02 & 03 Dakota Quad Cabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsmDriver View Post
I( i was thinking just take the front axles out but everyone keeps saying i cant cause it all wheel drive.

i would like to make it 2wd 4wd liek the datotas but hear that wouldnt work either
You can do that BUT you have to put the t-case in 4wd and leave it there AND you have to install the outer axle stubs or the wheel bearings will separate.

Much better solution is to fix the problem properly. Might want to take it to a qualified drive line shop for a second opinion on what the problem is. If one of the Various, AB locations in your sig is Edmonton, AB go to Alberta Driveline on the Yellowhead and talk to them.
Hers-03 Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4x4 4.7 545RFE 5spd/Auto 3.92 L/S 265/75R16 Dueler RVTs 5th wheel hitch
Old 04-12-2010, 05:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 durango rt " 410 "
Put t-case in 4wd?? its an awd . How are yu going to do that ?? lol do yu mean 4-hi?? still just take it in to driveline shop get it checked out.. If yu want a 2wd durango ( rare ) sell the RT and see if yu can find a good one and buy that ...Don`t wreck a good awd RT lol
Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 AM

Vehicle: 99 durango slt
2wd durangos arn't rare I see them all the time.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 AM

Vehicle: 99 dakota and 2001 durang
it might be the front drive shaft it was on mine it has a cv joint at the transfer case end
Old 04-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 durango rt " 410 "
well must be a south of the border thing lol , i haven`t seen a 2wd only durango up here ,,,,,,,,, then again we use 4x4 / awd for winter and offroad ,,,mud fun alot up here........ be nice to have a rt with just 2wd with no awd / or 4x4 option...........
Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 PM

i dont want to run it as a 2wd I just want it fixed
Old 04-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade

Vehicle: 99 dakota r/t
Reputation: 133 suprchgd99rango is a glorious beacon of lightsuprchgd99rango is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to suprchgd99rango
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RT View Post
well must be a south of the border thing lol , i haven`t seen a 2wd only durango up here ,,,,,,,,, then again we use 4x4 / awd for winter and offroad ,,,mud fun alot up here........ be nice to have a rt with just 2wd with no awd / or 4x4 option...........
its hard to find a 2wd durango around here too. i know of one and she lives 5 minutes from me.

my durango is basically and r/t. 5.9 with awd and 3.92 gears.

i swapped the transfercase for the 2wd with optional 4wd out of my old durango and i would never go back unless this one gets fucked up.

when i had my transmission done, thats the main thing i wanted was to have 2wd to do burnouts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: