I need help quick guys.Stuck in 4 wheel drive - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota
I need help quick guys.Stuck in 4 wheel drive

I put my truck in 4wd just to get it across the lawn,and I had no problem.I put the truck in 2wd,took off down the street,goto make a left and get this awful bind,snap noise.I stop the truck,put it back in 4wd,then into 2wd,back it up 10 feet, go forward and it's still stuck in 4wd.It acts/sounds like the drivers side is hung up and I cannot figure out how to get it back in 2wd.I have to drive 48 miles a day and I really dont wanna burn my front diff up.any idea's on how to get it out??

Just to be clear,the tranfer case is shifting fine, lo/hi range.
I jacked the front left tire up, put it in neutral,and if I spin the wheel,the front driveshaft is spinning.

I did try to hold the driveshaft,spint the wheel,no dice,if one spins,the other goes with it.I cannot find a 4wd/Front actuator on the axle or a fuse.any ideas??

At least I only push snow,If I drove Ford I would be pushing the truck too.....

I work on them all.......And they all suck when they break....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Vehicle: 02 & 03 Dakota Quad Cabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEFD17 View Post
I did try to hold the driveshaft,spint the wheel,no dice,if one spins,the other goes with it.I cannot find a 4wd/Front actuator on the axle or a fuse.any ideas??
Normal operation.

There is no axle disconnect on your truck. The front shaft will spin any time the front wheels rotate. All the t-case does is disconnect the front shaft from the drive line internally when in 2wd.
Hers-03 Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4x4 4.7 545RFE 5spd/Auto 3.92 L/S 265/75R16 Dueler RVTs 5th wheel hitch
Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Resident Craigslist Whore

Vehicle: One with a bowtie
Reputation: 104 6shooter is just really nice6shooter is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEFD17 View Post
I jacked the front left tire up, put it in neutral,and if I spin the wheel,the front driveshaft is spinning.

if your stuck in 4wd, you shouldnt be able to spin the front wheels and have the rear stay still. and like trouble maker said, you have no disconnect on your axle. 4wd is engaged/disengaged at the tcase. since your tcase is operated manually and not with a button like the newer kotas, there will be no fuse. the only wiring your 4wd system has is to kick the 4wd light on thats in your gauge cluster.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
I imagine the 'snap' you heard was the t-case disengaging. Occasionally, I notice my t-case sticks in 4hi for a moment...it always pops out when it does this.

As mentioned, we run a 'live axle' in the front. It all spins, all the time.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:23 AM

Vehicle: 98/Dodge/Durango SLT
Send a message via MSN to RebelX
when kickin out of 4wd. i always drive backwards about 15foot to make sure, then usualy give her some gas and see if the rear spins.
5 Door Whore # 173
Old 04-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota
Thanks for all the replies.I did figure it out.I realized that the T-case is what connects -disconnects 4wd and that if I had not been pissed off to begin with,I would have figured it out without posting the question.It was the wheel bearing had a ton of play in it,and when I got it off,there were some flat spots in the bearing.I replaced it and all seems good.It has been a real rough time with my vehicles lately.I just picked up a '95 Monte Carlo,with the dreaded 3.1.It was already overheated,from the intake gasket and it wiped the crank out from the coffee milkshake mix.I bought it knowing this (real cheap) I just bought it for gas mileage,it was cheap and to keep the miles down on the Dakota(it's at 196,000 now).Then our Jeep GC I noticed,is leaving a trail of oil whereever it goes and the radiator just puked a quart of coolant on the ground after church.Gotta go get to work,Have a good one guys, and thanks for the replies.

At least I only push snow,If I drove Ford I would be pushing the truck too.....

I work on them all.......And they all suck when they break....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: