Increase HP for the 4.7 Engine, is it possible? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Durango SLT
Increase HP for the 4.7 Engine, is it possible?

I was wondering what I need to do to increase my HP in my truck. I have the 4.7L PowerTech V8, which only puts out 235 HP. I was wondering what alot of you owners have done to get better HP. What is the max HP the engine can get before you have to start swapping out alot of parts?

HiJack ZX1 CAR PC Work Log
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
1400+ 1/4 mile passes

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota 4.7
Garage
Send a message via AIM to moparsz
what do you consider swapping out a lot of parts. my 4.7 is putting over 275 to the wheels, but I've done more than just the bolt on stuff. How much HP are you looking to get and are you looking to race it a lot or just for metter mileage

Best pass 2002 Dodge Dakota : 13.302 @ 103.39 MPH and 1/8 E.T. 8.569 @ 82.87mph

Drag Track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNQhtcXkKE
New Years Eve Burnout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVAQ4...lay&playnext=1

www.AIRRAM.com Discounted Performance Parts with FREE SHIPPING!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge dakota slt
intake, throtle body, true dual exahust, sct tune and gears for your heavy durango should put you in your seat real nice then do cams if you can find H.O. cams there usually the cheapest but most people say do at least 206's
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparsz View Post
what do you consider swapping out a lot of parts. my 4.7 is putting over 275 to the wheels, but I've done more than just the bolt on stuff. How much HP are you looking to get and are you looking to race it a lot or just for metter mileage
I guess anything that would be to hard for a newbie mechanic. I know very basic stuff. I have done oil changes, replace the spark plugs (what a b!+ch) and changed out the thermostat and taken out the clutch fan. I also redo all the wiring so its on 0 gauge wire. I know this may sound weird but I am looking for enough that so if I am sitting at stop light with a car that is pretty fast next to me, I make sure when we floor it, im still infront, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GOLDDAKOTA View Post
intake, throtle body, true dual exahust, sct tune and gears for your heavy durango should put you in your seat real nice then do cams if you can find H.O. cams there usually the cheapest but most people say do at least 206's
What is the sct tune? Super Chips? I was going to buy the reprogrammer. When you say gears, what do you mean? You lost me with cams and 206's.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 AM
1400+ 1/4 mile passes

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
What is the sct tune? Super Chips? I was going to buy the reprogrammer. When you say gears, what do you mean? You lost me with cams and 206's.
SCT and Superchips are reprogrammers that are available for the 4.7

Gears he means in the rear end. I think you would have 3.55's or maybe 3.92's. depending on what size tires you have get either 4.10's or 4.56's

206's are one of the cams available. they make HO (high output) 206, 210, 210x, and 212. The 4.7 cams are fairly easy to change since they are overhead cams

you could go with a larger TB with either Fastmam, Dwight's (a member on here) or a F&B

Old 03-12-2010, 01:46 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota Sport 4.7L
Superchips is a good start. I just ordered mine today...

Old 03-12-2010, 02:27 AM

I saw your youtube videos, nice!!!!!!! You should put onboard cameras also. I am going to most def get the Super Chips. What about a Kennebell supercharger? lol

Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 AM
1400+ 1/4 mile passes

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
I saw your youtube videos, nice!!!!!!! You should put onboard cameras also. I am going to most def get the Super Chips. What about a Kennebell supercharger? lol
SCT might be a better option if you plan on doing more mods later on. It can be custom tuned to your vehicle

Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2002 durango
Where in Miami are you? I'm in Cutler Ridge, and have an 02 duranago that has most of the common mods. H/O cams and intake manifold, air raid intake, Thorley 3" single exhaust, clutch fan removed, F&B 70mm throttle body, Superchips....I think that's all of them, lol. All of the mods work together excellently, but I was a little disappointed before they were all finished. Waiting to do gears which they say makes the biggest difference. You're in luck that probably the most devoted 4.7l enthusiast and parts seller just moved to Homestead. I ran into Nick from AirRam on my way to work about a month ago. I based all my mods on what he said worked well together and couldn't be happier. I'll let you see/drive it yourself if you'd like. Kevin
Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM

I think I will do little baby steps. The SCT is on the list. Infact everything you mentioned is. I wanted to ask about the dual exhaust. I noticed that you said true dual exhaust. Do you mean one that doesnt have 2 pipes coming from the muffler, but coming from the headers instead? Also would changing out the headers do anything, if yes, what type are the best? Infact can you guys point me to a site that sells everything I need. The SCT I can get off Ebay, the TB from Fastman, but where can I find the exhaust, headers, cams and gears. Also install wise what is the hardest thing to do? The gears maybe?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnwkrkev View Post
Where in Miami are you? I'm in Cutler Ridge, and have an 02 duranago that has most of the common mods. H/O cams and intake manifold, air raid intake, Thorley 3" single exhaust, clutch fan removed, F&B 70mm throttle body, Superchips....I think that's all of them, lol. All of the mods work together excellently, but I was a little disappointed before they were all finished. Waiting to do gears which they say makes the biggest difference. You're in luck that probably the most devoted 4.7l enthusiast and parts seller just moved to Homestead. I ran into Nick from AirRam on my way to work about a month ago. I based all my mods on what he said worked well together and couldn't be happier. I'll let you see/drive it yourself if you'd like. Kevin
Im near downtown. Next to Brickell. Why were you disappointed at first. Well now I have a list of what needs to be done. My first goal is the interior then I have to buy a H/O alternator. I have alot of electronics going in and the stock alternator cant handle.

Is there a Dakota Durango car club in FL?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM

I didnt see that moparsz had a link to the site the whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!
I looked at the youtube videos, that is exactly what I want.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 01 Dakota CC 4.7L 4x4
Send a message via AIM to SolidStateS15
yes you can get most everything from AirRam, and Nick is a good guy who won't steer you wrong to make a buck. you can trust what he says so i would talk to him.

exhaust you should get done locally. you can buy magnaflow bolt on stuff, but you'll pay more. yes true duals means 2 pipes from the headers back. aftermarket headers don't offer much for this engine so you can save yourself some cash there if you want. the stock headers flow just fine.

there's also a huge 4.7 performance thread on here which goes into more details about these mods. here is the page with my posts.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...t=77372&page=3

- 01 Dak CC 4.7L 4x4 5spd MT, DD
- 85 Toyota Supra MKII, Project car
- 09 Toyota RAV 4, Grocery getter

Last edited by SolidStateS15; 03-12-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2002 durango
I was disappointed with just superchips, air-raid and exhaust. I thought the 3" single would be good for torque but I seemed to lose quite a bit of it with the exhaust. The H/O cams made the biggest difference. Next would be the H/O manifold and 70mm F&B throttle body. The F&B has some idle issues (idles a little high and bounces a little), but was well worth it. From what I understand gears make the biggest difference and should be done first with a superchips to tune for them. They're also one of the most expensive due to the durango being 4X4.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidStateS15 View Post
yes you can get most everything from AirRam, and Nick is a good guy who won't steer you wrong to make a buck. you can trust what he says so i would talk to him.

exhaust you should get done locally. you can buy magnaflow bolt on stuff, but you'll pay more. yes true duals means 2 pipes from the headers back. aftermarket headers don't offer much for this engine so you can save yourself some cash there if you want. the stock headers flow just fine.

there's also a huge 4.7 performance thread on here which goes into more details about these mods. here is the page with my posts.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...t=77372&page=3
The fact that he is now in FL is awesome. I browsed through the site and I see there is so much stuff. I was kind of over whelmed. I saw the manifold thing, what exactly does that thing do? It looks higher then the stock, so I guess the hood needs to be changed out?

I don't know why I never saw that 4.7 performance thread. Thanx for pointing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnwkrkev View Post
I was disappointed with just superchips, air-raid and exhaust. I thought the 3" single would be good for torque but I seemed to lose quite a bit of it with the exhaust. The H/O cams made the biggest difference. Next would be the H/O manifold and 70mm F&B throttle body. The F&B has some idle issues (idles a little high and bounces a little), but was well worth it. From what I understand gears make the biggest difference and should be done first with a superchips to tune for them. They're also one of the most expensive due to the durango being 4X4.
I most def have to see your Durango sometime, All this mods seem fairly straight forward. I guess it makes me nervous because I have never done any of this before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: