No Power! - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
No Power!

I've got a '98 Durango, a couple of days ago I went to start it and it reved up to like 800 RPM's (like it normally does when you start it) then it just died. I tried several more times and it would keep going if I held my foot on the gas. Then after a couple more tries it started up and worked fine. Then no more problems until today. The same thing happened, only this time after a couple tries it wouldn't even turn over and there was no power to anything, the headlights wouldn't come on, no dash lights, no power locks or windows, nothing. My friend was standing outside the truck when this was going on and he said there was a loud click the last time I started it. Any ideas? where should I look for the short?

Thanks in advance!

Jordon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM
the blue blur...

Vehicle: 1999 IB RC Dakota R/T
Had something similiar happen on my Dakota a while back. It's usually an electrical problem, either the battery is dying or the alternator has gone bad and sucking all the power from the battery while running. Mine was the latter, and the wire that connects the battery to the alternator had burned up from the backfeed or something. Have the alternator checked at a auto store along with the battery. If it's not those I can't really help much more, but somebody probably knows. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota Q.C.
Replace the battery - these trucks don't like weak batteries
Old 03-10-2010, 08:38 AM

hmmm, I'm not so sure if it's the battery or alternator, I only started it up 3 or 4 times before it craped out. and it was such a sudden loss of power. It was turning over just fine before it just wouldn't do anything. It didn't slowly get weaker... and does that explain how it was just dying right after I'd start it if my foot wasn't on the gas?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
bwdakrt

Have the battery load tested and I believe you'll find it has a dead cell and needs to be replaced.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:18 AM

so, I haven't had a chance to get the battery load tested, but yesterday I got in and tried to start it, the lights came on dimly and when I turned the key there was this loud ticking noise coming from the glove box (like one tick per second). When I opened the glove box it stopped, I closed it and it started ticking again..... WEIRD? ....I took the key out... it kept ticking. I went back inside for about 20 minutes. it was still ticking. Tried starting it a few more times and still nothing. I had the door open while I was doing some other stuff near the truck. when I came back to it the dome light had come on. I tried starting it and it was doing the thing where it would keep running if I was holding it above 1000 rpms, but would die when I let off. I tried starting it today and got it to keep running on it's own a couple times, so I checked the battery with a multi-meter while it was running and got about 14v... I got 12.3 when it was off. Hopefully I get a chance to get the battery checked tomorrow
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
bwdakrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonB View Post
so, I haven't had a chance to get the battery load tested, but yesterday I got in and tried to start it, the lights came on dimly and when I turned the key there was this loud ticking noise coming from the glove box (like one tick per second). When I opened the glove box it stopped, I closed it and it started ticking again..... WEIRD? ....I took the key out... it kept ticking. I went back inside for about 20 minutes. it was still ticking. Tried starting it a few more times and still nothing. I had the door open while I was doing some other stuff near the truck. when I came back to it the dome light had come on. I tried starting it and it was doing the thing where it would keep running if I was holding it above 1000 rpms, but would die when I let off. I tried starting it today and got it to keep running on it's own a couple times, so I checked the battery with a multi-meter while it was running and got about 14v... I got 12.3 when it was off. Hopefully I get a chance to get the battery checked tomorrow
All classic systems of a bad battery.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 01 Dakota CC 4.7L 4x4
Send a message via AIM to SolidStateS15
it's a BOMB!!! get out!

either what was said, or could also be a bad ground(s). check the main bad ground to be sure it's not loose, broken, or corroded.

- 01 Dak CC 4.7L 4x4 5spd MT, DD
- 85 Toyota Supra MKII, Project car
- 09 Toyota RAV 4, Grocery getter
Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 PM

seriously!.... it sounded like a bomb! :-)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 PM

any Ideas what that ticking could've been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: