Sputtering/backfiring through intake - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2.5L/3.7L/3.9L Engines Questions regarding the I4 and V6 Engines

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 AM

Vehicle: 02 dakota
Sputtering/backfiring through intake

Okay, so i bought a 2002 v6 dakota from a friend. I did an intake manifold gasket to it, hoping it would solve the problem. It got rid of the cylinder 1 3 5 misfire codes, and the 02 sensor high voltage code. But it did not solve the problem.

When you stand on the throttle, sometimes itl downshift and take off like it should, but usually it'll bog pretty bad and start sputtering and popping until it reaches the upper rpms, then it takes off.

So currently there are no codes being thrown, and the problem seems to be worse when it is cold. It isn't registered because i don't want to waste the money until it runs right.

I appreciate any help, Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 03:11 AM
No habla jibber jabber

Vehicle: 2002 dodge dakota sxt
Reputation: 156 02sxtkota is a name known to all02sxtkota is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 02sxtkota
try plugs wires and etc cause mine did that for awhile and if it throwing o2 code that can cause it as well since i just went thru all that same thing.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Diesel Mechanic

Vehicle: 99 Dakota 4x4
when mine did this a long time ago it was the upstream o2 sensor. i suppose if a tune up hasnt been done in ages try that.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 02 dakota
Well I did the cap and rotor. I doubt its the plugs because the wires look brand new. Also there is no code being thrown, so I really have no idea
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
don't feed the bears

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota
Reputation: 197 Jarheadoo7 is a name known to allJarheadoo7 is a name known to all
ceck the gap on the plugs .. i think ours is .40 or .040 i cant remember for sure
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 AM
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Vehicle: '94 Dodge Dakota Sport
Reputation: 582 Little Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up there
First thing I would check would be fuel pressure & volume

(but that's just me)

Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 AM

If you've had the intake off it might not hurt to check the timing, just in case the distributor was put it a tooth off or something.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 02 dodge dakota
Ok I am dealing with this issue still but not as bad anymore. It oringinated as a busted intake bolts and gasket.
1. replaced gaskets all the way down to the heads. ( only intake was necessary but everything was in such great shape i regasketed the engine instead of replacing it with a used one )
2. removed clogged pre cats and main cat ( helped tremendously )
3. new rotor and cap, plugs and wires ( no luck )
4. replaced both upstream o2 sensors ( this killed the backfire issue )
Now the truck gives no codes but acts cold natured and seems to lack it original power. I did get my fuel milage back somewhat.
I ordered the 02 sensors online for half the cost of any of my auto parts stores locally could provide.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme84 View Post
If you've had the intake off it might not hurt to check the timing, just in case the distributor was put it a tooth off or something.
you dont have to take the distributor off to change the intake manifold and it also doesnt control timing. only fuel sync.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 02 dodge dakota
I never removed my distributor and still had the same issue.
If you replaced the intake gasket the pull your upstream o2 sensors. Yours are probably filled with carbon like mine were. They werent right just slow. Im also gonna go ahead and change the two downstream to ensure the comparisons are similar to those of factry spec.
It sucks cause mine were pluged into the wiring harness for the left side on top of the tranny. The right on the back of the block near the distributor. They couldnt have picked a worse spot to put that crap.
I think im the victim of ECM software failure, as it cannot compensate nor reset fully to accept the new values. ( theory only )
Now sometime during the warranty period the wiring harness and ecm programing was updated by the dealer. As ive owned the truck since mile 1 I know this for a fact.
This has been a great truck. Now its a project

I'm not tryin to hijack a thread here but we are dealing with a similar issue with similar symptons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: