How to fix Durango seat "rocking chair" - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FAQ's, Tips & Tricks Helpful technical information.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:23 AM

Vehicle: 1998 SLT 4x4 Dodge Durang
How to fix Durango seat "rocking chair"

How to fix Durango ’98 Gen I, Electric Seat Track (rocking chair effect)
By Alexcklie, Miami, Fl
2/22/2010

We initially removed the upholstery and the bottom cushion during the initial inspection, so we could see better the full assembly. The main advantage is that we can rest the metal frame in a solid surface which makes it easier to work.

You do not have to remove the sliding steel tracks from the assembly
You do not have to remove the cushion and upholstery in order to do this job.

Description:
There is an acme tread long screw (worm gear) between the top and bottom track.
The front of the acme screw rests in a plastic bearing.
There is a gear aluminum case from which a small transmission cable attaches to the front of the worm gear; both ends of the cable have a square shape. The cable is not attached to either end. It just slides in or out of either side.
Inside between the tracks there is an aluminum case that is held in place with 2 torx screws to the track.

The problem:
Inside of the aluminum piece there is an acme thread nut. There suppose to be filler, possible made of rubber, which has been affected by the grease. You will not find pieces of broken plastic; the rubber has become some sort of asphalt with the grease.
Because of the lack of the filler between the acme nut and the interior of the aluminum casing, there is a gap which allows the seat to move back and forward like a rocking chair.

Attached PDF file has pictures

Revision 02/22/2010 information not in the PDF file:
The thickens of the spacer is 7/32

Alex
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to fix Durango electric seat2.pdf (270.4 KB, 1926 views)

Last edited by alexcklie; 02-22-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM
sixpack

Vehicle: 99 Durango SLT Plus 5.9
Thanks a lot!!!!

Great write-up! I've had this annoying problem for a long time, but haven't had guts to tear down the seat. Thanks again for taking the time to do this. I will have a look at it and hope I can sort it out.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:39 AM
150,XXX Miles

Vehicle: '02 Dur 4.7L SLT
Your guy's seats have been moving on the sliding track?
5DW #187 A lot of stuff...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 AM
sixpack

Vehicle: 99 Durango SLT Plus 5.9
Not moving, just a minor unwanted "tilt" like your grandpa's recliner chair in front of TV.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Bull Ridin' Cowboy

Vehicle: 98 Dodge Durango
Thank's alot becuase my seat has been doing this and I have always wondered what it was..
Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: Dodge Dakota 2002
My 2002 Dakota Quad Cab Drivers seat has been "Rocking" for more than a year. Lately it had gotten much worse almost 1/2" of movement with any stop. I would think this would be recall material, but what do I know! I followed the instruction in the above PDF Link for the Durango which worked perfectly!!!! There were some slight differences with the Dakota but none of great significance. I used 7/16" nylon washers, which I bought a Ace Hardware, as shims 2 thin and 1 thick instead of the bolt. I used a belt sander to adjust the thickness of the last shim. Works like a dream! Thanks for the link.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota
I did the same as dakotasuss!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
Hello, new member, first post.

Bought my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 brand new off the car carrier in Oct. 2000. Haven't turned 46,000 miles yet. Has the 4.7 w/auto.

It's been a decent truck over the years. Had its share of problems, including the rocking power seat. Had a shop replace one track a few years ago and now it's beginning to rock, too. Figured my girth was to blame, being nearly 400lbs., but I see it's a problem for lightweights, too.

My question is this: Does anyone know if the manual track is a direct bolt on? I bought this truck for many of the features installed, but the power seat wasn't one of them. I'm 6 foot 6. First time in I put the seat all the way back and down and never had cause to adjust it from there. I can do without the "power". Manual tracks are much cheaper. Not cheaper than fixing the power tracks (I still have the original as well), but a damn sight less future hassle.

If the manual track fits, I can always fix the power tracks at my leisure and reinstall one prior to trading or selling it, so it matches VIN for options. In the meantime, I can ensure my fat ass doesn't test the fix by using a manual track. Unless they are crap, too.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 AM
150,XXX Miles

Vehicle: '02 Dur 4.7L SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyset View Post
Hello, new member, first post.

Bought my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 brand new off the car carrier in Oct. 2000. Haven't turned 46,000 miles yet. Has the 4.7 w/auto.

It's been a decent truck over the years. Had its share of problems, including the rocking power seat. Had a shop replace one track a few years ago and now it's beginning to rock, too. Figured my girth was to blame, being nearly 400lbs., but I see it's a problem for lightweights, too.

My question is this: Does anyone know if the manual track is a direct bolt on? I bought this truck for many of the features installed, but the power seat wasn't one of them. I'm 6 foot 6. First time in I put the seat all the way back and down and never had cause to adjust it from there. I can do without the "power". Manual tracks are much cheaper. Not cheaper than fixing the power tracks (I still have the original as well), but a damn sight less future hassle.

If the manual track fits, I can always fix the power tracks at my leisure and reinstall one prior to trading or selling it, so it matches VIN for options. In the meantime, I can ensure my fat ass doesn't test the fix by using a manual track. Unless they are crap, too.

Are you asking if you can install the manual seat into an original power seat truck? I don't think the track would be a problem, but maybe the seat and its' associated brackets.
5DW #187 A lot of stuff...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
I'm asking about only swapping tracks, without any modifications. A direct bolt swap. I'd like to keep my current seat, as it's leather.

In other words, I'd remove my seat, separate it from the power track, and bolt a manual track in its place. I'm asking if A. The manual track is a direct bolt on to the seat?, and B. Will the manual track bolt to the same holes in the truck the power track uses?

Thanks for your assistance, btw.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 1997 dodge dakota
Garage
does anyone know what i have to do to get my passenger seat to lock...it was actually kind of funny at first cuz everytime i would take off whoever was in the passenger seat would unvoluntarily sky rocket backwards but now its starting to get annoying...there just regular manual seats in a 97 dakota...never fails, everytime someone sits in it, it reclines on its own... especially when im out wheeling and hit some deep ruts....just want a heads up (what to look for) before i pull it apart and try n fix it...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 2001 Durango SLT
This is a huge help!

My driver seat does this sliding.. but I noticed if I don't adjust my seat for a couple weeks, it goes away. When I adjust it in any sort of way, it becomes loose again.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Mopar n00b

Vehicle: 2000 Durango 4X2
Mine has been "rocking" since I got the Durango....I gotta try this when I go on vacation in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the writeup!!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: 1998, Dodge, Durango SLT+
Thanks for attaching the PDF with instructions for this, I have had the "rocking chair" issue on my 1998 Dodge Durango SLT+ with power leather seats for a few years now, and was looking into replacing the entire lower electic seat rail system until I read this blog on it. I appreciate the detail you spent writing this up and plan on fixing my seat myself very soon.

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 AM

Vehicle: durango
Thanks for the info! Very helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: