V6 to V8 Swap - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2.5L/3.7L/3.9L Engines Questions regarding the I4 and V6 Engines

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 AM
2000 Fake R/T & 2001 R/T

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to V6KotaRT
Exclamation V6 to V8 Swap

Yeah yeah I know there are many threads posted about these swaps but getting info from all these different forums and getting things right can be difficult when there are so many scenarios.. I just bought a donor its a 1998 Durango with a 360 of course factory with an automatic. I have a dakota with the 3.9 and NV3500.. I plan on keeping the NV3500 with the swap. I need to know what all needs to be done to the 360 and the NV3500 for the swap.. I have read all these threads about internally and externally balanced cranks blah blah blah.. Then I read about the flywheel and which one you needed but have become more and more confused as I read from these different forums.. As I mentioned above I have the complete durango so I have wiring harness, engine, ECM etc..... I couldn't beat the deal.. I only paid $100 for the complete durango with somewhat low miles. Planning the swap this spring which is right around the corner... Need to hear from the ones that have "actually done the swap"!!!!

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Clone Bright White RC # 132 ,V6 to V8 conversion with 5 speed NV3500, Durango leather seats, R/T Wheels, 2-3 Drop, garage made CAI and more to come. To be track truck....

2001 Dodge Dakota R/T Bright White CC #205... 3-5 drop, roll pan, Stillen bumper cover and Cervinis SS Hood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota R/T
Send a message via MSN to AmberFireDaK
It's not that complicated really...

The 360 is externally balanced, while the 318 (5.2) and 239 (3.9) are internally balanced.

You want to keep your 5 speed so you will need the flywheel for a 360.... automatic ones like in the durango have a flexplate and a torque converter.

IIRC you need to find a flywheel from certain year Ram's that came factory with 360/manuals
Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota SLT
Send a message via MSN to nhead0802 Send a message via Skype™ to nhead0802
I am in the exact same situation but I have a 5.9 liter to swap in. I've heard that the NV3500 will bolt up to everything you will need/have to swap but the tranny will not hold for very long up to the 5.9. I am uncertain if it will hold up with the 318 but i would look into before you get elbows deep in work and realize it won't hold. I've found two trannies that will hold up but do not fit in the stock tunnel and they both require at least a 3 inch body lift. (T56 and the NV4500) I do not know whether this information is solid but it's what i've been told from numerous guys on the forum that have done the swap
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
2000 Fake R/T & 2001 R/T

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to V6KotaRT
Got a pilot bearing issue... The clutch set and flywheel I bought for my Dak (94 Dodge Ram) came with a pilot bearing.. The Crank is pre drilled to accept the pilot shaft, but the bearing seems like it it too big for the hole.. I thought I had read something about a Mopar Performance bearing I had to use but have not seen it again.. Maybe I missed something. But if anyone who has done the swap could give me some info it would be greatly appreciated as my truck has been down for almost 3 months now!!! Just to let ya know I have pretty much everything I need..
Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Engine Swap

Hi; I have an excellent running 1999 4x4 Dodge Dakota with 318(5.2L) V8. but the body is junk!. I also have a really good bodied 2002 4x4 with 3.9 V6 which runs good but performance sucks!
I am thinking about swapping out the drive line, engine, etc, from the 1999 into the 2002 V6 truck. Can it been done and what if any problems would I encounter. For instance do I need to change transmissions or transfer case, radiator, etc?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Stroked 91

Vehicle: 87 Dakota, 05 Durango
Send a message via Yahoo to 87DakBuilder
Truck Nut,

provided both trucks are Automatics, you should have no issues with the swap. It is simply plug and play, in terms of swaping. You may have to swap out the instrument cluster and under dash wiring, as Chrysler did some wierd stuff in 02. The trans should be the same. Have fun and do the swap.
390 Stroker W/TKO 600 finally in truck.
RIP 87 Dak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: