Stuck spark plug - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2002 quad cab 4x4, 4.7L
Stuck spark plug

Hey All,

This is my first post here and am excited to have found this place!!!

Of course I found this while in search of answers about my 2002 quad cab 4x4 with the 4.7L engine.........so here it goes.........

You know that little rubber insert inside the spark plug socket that grips the ceramic?? Well....it is stuck (rammed, wedged) down around the hex part of the plug so I can no longer get the socket on to twist it out.

The plug is easy to get to (#8) but not easy enough to see into the hole. I have tried picking the rubber piece out with a dental pick with no luck. There is MAYBE 1/16" between the side wall and spark plug hex. It seems i need a 5/8" socket made out of sheet metal or something thin that will cut into the rubber and grab the plug.........I need ideas..........

Do they make any special tools or gizmos to address something like this?? How do people get out plugs that have stripped the hex part off their plug?? Please help!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 03 Dakota QC
Reputation: 137 Jecht is a glorious beacon of lightJecht is a glorious beacon of light
Take the plug out. Take rubber boot off plug. Now put plug back in the get it started. Stop take off the rubber and tighten all the way. What I do my socket is worn out.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 PM
99 Durango 5.9 part out

Vehicle: 99 Durango R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecht View Post
Take the plug out. Take rubber boot off plug. Now put plug back in the get it started. Stop take off the rubber and tighten all the way. What I do my socket is worn out.
He's saying he can't get the plug out. If it's going to be replaced anyways, I might try a pair of vise grips on the tip, it shouldn't be in there that tight to begin with.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 2K R/T
Reputation: 297 Rebel13 is a splendid one to beholdRebel13 is a splendid one to beholdRebel13 is a splendid one to behold
I want pics, I picture what he is doing-did? All you do is pull the wire boot off and loosen the plug? If boot sticks and breaks, get pliers or vise grips to pull off remaining junk and then loosen plug?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:16 PM
99 Durango 5.9 part out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Dog View Post

You know that little rubber insert inside the spark plug socket that grips the ceramic?? Well....it is stuck (rammed, wedged) down around the hex part of the plug so I can no longer get the socket on to twist it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
I want pics, I picture what he is doing-did? All you do is pull the wire boot off and loosen the plug? If boot sticks and breaks, get pliers or vise grips to pull off remaining junk and then loosen plug?
He's talking about the piece of rubber inside the socket

It came off and got pushed down, so that it's blocking the hex where the socket would grab.
I'd still give the vise grips a shot, if not, maybe one of those gator sockets?

Last edited by RJ_Hythloday; 01-25-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM
5 Door Whore #215

Vehicle: 01 Durango, 02 dakota r/t
he has the 4.7 you cant grab the spark plug with vise grips or pliers it down in the head
Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
99 Durango 5.9 part out

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango2001 View Post
he has the 4.7 you cant grab the spark plug with vise grips or pliers it down in the head
That sux, not even needle nose vise grips? Is there a heat shield that can be removed? My neighbor has a 4.7 but I haven't spent much time looking under the hood.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM

That cylinder bore in the head, for the spark plug, is JUST big enough for the spark plug and a standard socket. I have consumed the space for the socket with the rubber socket insert.........mashed it down in there REAL good!!

I MAY be able to get a needle nose vise grip in there but was hoping for a less (possibly) destructive method.......to begin with at least. Right now the truck runs fine so I don't want to make the problem worse or the truck inoperable just yet.

If i do go the vise grip route..........do you think it would be OK to soak the plug/hole with PB blaster??? Hopefully a little bit would get past the rubber piece and to the threads. That one plug has been in for 144K so it might very well be a tight one.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota 4x4 R/C
How did you go about doing this?? The rubber insert should fit right back into the spark plug, if it doesn't just slowly rotate the socket while pushing down hard til it clicks down onto the hex. If that doesn't work just get a long skinny knife or screwdriver to cut the rubber so it's not all the way around it, then blast it out with air. I don't really get how you got the rubber stuck on there to where you can't get the socket back on by pressing hard though.
2004 Honda 450R
Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocartone View Post
How did you go about doing this?? The rubber insert should fit right back into the spark plug, if it doesn't just slowly rotate the socket while pushing down hard til it clicks down onto the hex. If that doesn't work just get a long skinny knife or screwdriver to cut the rubber so it's not all the way around it, then blast it out with air. I don't really get how you got the rubber stuck on there to where you can't get the socket back on by pressing hard though.
From what I remember it was pretty easy!!! It went like this.........

Put socket on plug.......realized it was loose........took it off and realized the rubber thingy was not on.........got another rubber thingy from another socket and went back at it. Couldn't get it to seat right so "worked" at it with a little force.........THIS is when I realized the rubber thingy that I thought I lost had fallen out of the socket the first time I put it on the spark plug........I think it was old and shriveled cause it was always falling out of the socket anyway......

So.......as I "worked" on getting the socket with the 2nd rubber thingy on the plug I was smashing the other one down in the space between the cylinder wall and the plug hex part.........and did a dang fine job i might add!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota 4x4 R/C
Smooth one...just try to cut it with a thin long screwdriver and blow it out with the air.
2004 Honda 450R
Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocartone View Post
Smooth one...just try to cut it with a thin long screwdriver and blow it out with the air.
I just picked up a stamped plug wrench for a homelite small engine......fit the new plug just fine. I might have to grind the outside edges down to reduce the wall thickness and make them "sharper" to hopefully cut into the rubber. Might even heat up the new tool to try and melt the rubber and let is squish up while I tap it down on the plug..........

I did make it to church yesterday so hopefully between that, all the planets aligning and a quick witches potion ........all will be well!!!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Durango SLT+ 4.7L V8
Do you have a small o-ring pick/hook set? That should do it.
or
Take a wire coat hanger and bend the end of it and sharpen it to pierce the rubber. Try to hook it up

Try to get it up before cutting it into pieces. You do not want pieces of it falling down the plug hole.

Good luck,
Kevin

Last edited by WestCoastKevin; 01-25-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 2K R/T
Reputation: 297 Rebel13 is a splendid one to beholdRebel13 is a splendid one to beholdRebel13 is a splendid one to behold
This thread is funny!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota Sport 4.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
This thread is funny!
x2!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: