Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Matts00SLT

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bad coil pack??

Hey guys this is for my roomates 2002 ram 5.9L. He was having shuttering problems at around 45mph before the truck would start up once the truck was warm it would be ok. Then this morning we went out and looked at it and now it wont even start. Its a pretty damp day out so i checked to make sure theres fuel in the rail, then pulled the main wire off the ignition pack and just stuck a little wire to the block to see if theres spark and theres hardly any spark at all. Now shouldnt there be a nice strong looking spark coming off that coil pack?? Im leaning towards it not starting because that pack is pretty much dead. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Matt

2000 dodge dakota 4x4
4.7L V8- 31" cooper discoverer STT tires
Spintech pro street muffler dumped
-comming soon-
Tint front drivers and passenger windows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Primus
I hate you people.

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quite possibly but you need to take the wire on the distributor cap that is going to the coil, remove the end on the distributor cap from the coil, and check from there. If no spark there, get a multimeter out and check the harness connector voltage, current, and continuity output. If any of those are not showing anything on the multimeter, then either crank position or camshaft position sensor has gone bad.
Though, that is only if you have not had damp conditions. When I had my 94 Dak 5.2, I washed it a few times during the summer at the local automatic brushless. One day, after getting done at the carwash and then heading into town, I came to a stop light and while stopped, I had a misfire, then two, then three, then the engine stalled out. I was able to restart it but since the truck at the time was over 300K miles, I assumed the coil was in need of replacement, so ordered a MSD Blaster II coil from Advance Auto parts along with MSD's 8.5mm SuperConductor spark plug wires and Autolite Double Platinum spark plugs. Turns out after getting the coil off, the epoxy sealer on the bottom of the coil had cracked open, so water probably got in and caused a short. Never had another issue with the MSD coil or wires after that.

Something stinks and it ain't me.
327K+ miles, mostly all original factory parts, and 15 yrs. of reliable service.....you are missed.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 AM
OSJ

Vehicle: 91 dakota

i am having a similar problem with my 91 5,2L.
runs fine, then just out of the blue, it will stall and die. it will crank and crank and nothing. i can smell gas. then after a few minutes it will start again and run great. you guys figgure the coil?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Nevets57

Vehicle: 1997 Dakota CC V8 2wd

Im also having the same issue on my 97 5.2. Out of the blue the truck just wont start. It cranks just like OSJ's but no luck.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 AM
daniyel
VikingVish

Vehicle: 2004/Dodge/Dakota SXT
Modifications: Yeah.. read the sig instead. :]

^^ Check if you have spark first, if okay then check fuel pressure. If those are both okay, my best guess would be a sensor like a crank position sensor and/or cam position sensor (not entirely sure what the 97 318/360's used to time the advance).
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
eric63m

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
Modifications: Ram Air Intake, 2.5 inch custom exhaust w/ Magnaflow Super 44, Trans-go shift kit

You can test your coil with a multimeter, call autozone and find out what the acceptable ohm limits are, if you are outside of them you need to replace it. If it checks good there its not the coil.

I'm at work now, but if you need the tolerances ill shoot them you way when I get home.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: