2.5L/3.7L/3.9L Engines Questions regarding the I4 and V6 Engines

post #1 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
zidane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Heat Cold At Highway Speeds

Hey guys,

I;ve been looking all over the place for an answer to this, but it seems people have the opposite problem where the heat is cold/ luke warm at idle/low speed and gets better at high speed. When making my commute back home from Long Island (about 7 hour ride) my heat just started blowing cold air at about 75 mph. I rode home frozen to the steering wheel the rest of the way and replaced the thermostat. Backflushed the heater core, before winter hit, but the problem still developed. I have tried blocking the radiator off, pipe insulation around the heater hoses. Nothing really seems to fix it or improve the quality of the heat. I have to drive it around for about 30-40 minutes for it to blow luke warm heat at city speeds. Any ideas? I wanted to get opinions before I take it to the shop and shell out cash for a new heater core or something. Thanks in advance for your help.

Zidane

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4
3.9L V6, Auto
V8 Throttle Body
Westin Grille Guard
2" PA Body Lift
32x11.50 BFG A/T's
Taurus E-fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Jarheadoo7
don't feed the bears

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota

what degree thermo did you put in it?

::
post #3 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
zidane

195. Up to the point in my trip where the heat stopped working you could watch the temp fluctuate to the temp the t state would open then the temp would drop, then suddenly the temp drooped and stayed low, like 160 or so, so I thought the t stat was stuck open. Didn't seem to fix the problem though.

Zidane

3.9L V6, Auto
V8 Throttle Body
Westin Grille Guard
2" PA Body Lift
32x11.50 BFG A/T's
Taurus E-fan
post #4 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 PM
polecat
5 Door Whore #176

Vehicle: 2000 durango

sounds like the heater core is leaking mine was doing the same thing never ended up in the cab though it was draining through the drain hole in the heater box do you smell coolant at all with the heat on?
post #5 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 PM
bwdakrt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sounds like a bad radiator cap and it's releasing the pressure in your cooling system too early.
post #6 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 PM
6shooter
Resident Craigslist Whore

Vehicle: One with a bowtie

my 98 was a 4 banger, and it did it to me sometimes. i just figured it was the simple fact that at 10 degrees outside and 75 mph, that little 4 cyl didnt make enough heat to keep the coolant system temp up high enough for adequate heat. basically the cooling system was just too efficient in super cold temps.

Hi, my name is Brad, and I have an addiction to Dakotas.
post #7 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
zidane

I was concerned about the heater core, but I haven't been losing any coolant, the level as been constant in the radiator and in the overflow reservoir. I'm liking the radiator cap idea, since its just a tad cheaper than the heater core. I've been watching the passenger floor mat for wetness but nothing there either. I'll give the radiator cap a shot, it's never been replaced. Thanks for the advice, I'll report back after.

Zidane

3.9L V6, Auto
V8 Throttle Body
Westin Grille Guard
2" PA Body Lift
32x11.50 BFG A/T's
Taurus E-fan
post #8 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 PM
hskrRT
nstg8tr

Vehicle: 2000 R/T
Modifications: Lots 'O stuff
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to hskrRT Send a message via Yahoo to hskrRT
Sounds like maybe your blend door isn't working properly. Either a broken vacuum line or just a bad solenoid for the door.

post #9 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 PM
bwdakrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrRT View Post
Sounds like maybe your blend door isn't working properly. Either a broken vacuum line or just a bad solenoid for the door.
Guess you didn't read post #3.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 AM
hskrRT
nstg8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdakrt View Post
Guess you didn't read post #3.
Okay??? He changed his t-stat and it didn't fix it.

post #11 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 01:08 AM
bwdakrt

Quote:
Okay??? He changed his t-stat and it didn't fix it.
195. Up to the point in my trip where the heat stopped working you could watch the temp fluctuate to the temp the t state would open then the temp would drop, then suddenly the temp drooped and stayed low, like 160 or so, so I thought the t stat was stuck open. Didn't seem to fix the problem though.

Since when does a blend door cause the temp to fluctuate?
post #12 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 03:57 AM
hskrRT
nstg8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdakrt View Post

Since when does a blend door cause the temp to fluctuate?
So how does your radiator cap theory fit in here?? You didn't see me jump on your case about that shit, why did you feel the need to post your BS about my suggestion?

zidane, what was the outside temp when it was doing this? And have you changed the t-stat since it started?? Your post was a little confusing. My heater doesn't work all that great when driving down the road, but sit still in a drive through and it warms up as the coolant in the radiator warms up more than when driving and forcing cold air through it. If I stop and pop the hood right after a drive in the 30 degree or colder temps we've been having, my bottom radiator hose is cold, and my heater hoses are cool enough to hold on to.

post #13 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 05:38 AM
dave2003
Site Supporter

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota Sport CC
Modifications: 360 Power Shot Intake, V6 modified TB, HS 1.7 RR's, Superchips

Quote:
My heater doesn't work all that great when driving down the road, but sit still in a drive through and it warms up as the coolant in the radiator warms up more than when driving and forcing cold air through it. If I stop and pop the hood right after a drive in the 30 degree or colder temps we've been having, my bottom radiator hose is cold, and my heater hoses are cool enough to hold on to.
My trucks seems to be the opposite. I get great heat when moving and next to nothing when idling.

2000 Dakota CC 3.9L 5SPD Man
180* T-Stat, 360 Power Shot IntakeZ, bwdakrt modded V6 TB, Superchips 3715, HS 1.7 RR's , Black Magic 180 Extreme Fan (Clutch fan kicked to the curb!), Taylor 8mm Wires, NGK FR5-1's, EBC Sport Rotors & Hawk Pads, Infinity Reference 6020CS & 6022SI, AMI Locking Fuel Door, Diamond Clear Corners with O*NEX 6000K HID's.
post #14 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 AM
6shooter
Resident Craigslist Whore

Vehicle: One with a bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2003 View Post
My trucks seems to be the opposite. I get great heat when moving and next to nothing when idling.
thats your water pump impeller fins bein shot. i had the same problem on a friends yota a while back. took the pump out, the fins looked like a saw blade cause they were corroded right off. your coolant isnt circulating because your moving, its circulating because your at a higher engine rpm, making up for the worn out blades.

Hi, my name is Brad, and I have an addiction to Dakotas.
post #15 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 06:15 AM
dave2003
Site Supporter

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota Sport CC
Modifications: 360 Power Shot Intake, V6 modified TB, HS 1.7 RR's, Superchips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
thats your water pump impeller fins bein shot. i had the same problem on a friends yota a while back. took the pump out, the fins looked like a saw blade cause they were corroded right off. your coolant isnt circulating because your moving, its circulating because your at a higher engine rpm, making up for the worn out blades.
That sucks! I hope its not the case. I changed out my water pump about 35k miles ago. If it is then it is a relatively cheap and easy fix.

2000 Dakota CC 3.9L 5SPD Man
180* T-Stat, 360 Power Shot IntakeZ, bwdakrt modded V6 TB, Superchips 3715, HS 1.7 RR's , Black Magic 180 Extreme Fan (Clutch fan kicked to the curb!), Taylor 8mm Wires, NGK FR5-1's, EBC Sport Rotors & Hawk Pads, Infinity Reference 6020CS & 6022SI, AMI Locking Fuel Door, Diamond Clear Corners with O*NEX 6000K HID's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: