CTM Repair/Replacement - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
mbowser82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

CTM Repair/Replacement

Alright, so after almost 2 years I'm finally ready to do something about my bum CTM. Awhile ago, I started getting weird honk patterns and random alarm modes when I unlocked my 01' R/T Durango with the key fob. At first it was sparse and annoying, but it became more frequent and more annoying. Then one night I drove to the store, got out for 5 minutes and got back in and started her up to find I had no headlights (except brights), no rear lights (except brakes) and the AWD/4WD selector was blank as were all dash/interior lights. A quick disconnect of the battery took care of all the troubles for like a month, but then I lost my keyless entry function one day. Everything else has worked like a champ since, except the keyless entry. I survived until now. Now we are in the process of packing for moving and stuff and I have decided I need to get a spare key and fob and get the keyless entry working since I have almost locked the keys in it twice in the last few weeks. Anyone had any luck getting their CTM repaired? I saw a guy on Ebay offering to repair it for $150. I've also gotten a few offers to buy one for around $50-75 off salvage vehicles. Do they work when swapped? Do I need the same year? Will it need programmed for my specific truck? Is a dealer going to have to reprogram it no matter what? I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest, but surest route. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 AM
petrock
The Anti-RUB

I don't think you can repair the CTM. Its a circuit board. I had pretty much the same problem as you and replacing the CTM fixed it. Check out my thread on it.

Physically replacing it is very simple. Its just a couple of wire harness connections to disconnect/connect and a couple bolts. However, I'm pretty sure that you have to have it reprogrammed (I don't remember. I had the dealer do everything under warranty). Your existing key fobs won't work. You'll need to bring it into a dealer to have them reprogram them.

Getting a salvage one is the way to go, IMO. A brand new one cost a couple hundred $$, if I remember correctly. I would try to get the same year and model, but you can call your local dealer to see the CTM part number for your truck goes with what model year ranges.

If I remember correctly, not all CTM's are the same. I remember the tech telling me that my CTM has some extra features to handle some of the stock add-ons that my truck has. Don't remember what they are. They were listed in my factory service manual, which I don't have handy right now.

Good luck...

4.7L '03 Patriot Blue Durango SLT
K&N FIPK
Magnaflow Muffler w/ stock tubing
post #3 of Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
l1tech

You don't have to go to a dealer to have it reprogrammed, anyone with a DRB III can do...I have one but don't plan on being in PA anytime soon.
post #4 of Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
caulk04
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Simple to swap, just get one with the same part/model number on it. I had to argue with the scrap yard to get mine, but I ended up getting it for $50 I think.

Had the dealer reprogram the fobs and activate the alarm. All works now, except I can't turn off the automatic door locks for some reason...
post #5 of Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 AM
Five9Dak
Blown and Squirted

Send a message via AIM to Five9Dak
My truck doesn't unlock the driver door when I press the FOB button once (but the dome light comes on), when I press it a second time it unlocks both. Resetting the battery does nothing. You guys think I am right to assume it is the CTM? Do 99's have a CTM?

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 9" 3000, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
Z Code Performance Website
post #6 of Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 AM
bwdakrt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
My truck doesn't unlock the driver door when I press the FOB button once (but the dome light comes on), when I press it a second time it unlocks both. Resetting the battery does nothing. You guys think I am right to assume it is the CTM? Do 99's have a CTM?
Your CTM is on the right side of the glove box. Have to remove the glove box to get to it.
post #7 of Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 AM
99dakotaman
"I WANNA GO FAST!"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
I know this is almost a 4 year old thread but I am having similar issues. How did you solve it?

Jamie "The One with The Green Truck" Perna
'99 Dakota CC SLT+ 5.2 4x4 Emerald Green Pearlcoat
I would rather be on the Dakota
Dreaming of a 408 stroker Dakota R/T 5spd!
Daily Driver: '99 Subie Legacy Outback 2.5 AWD bitches!
Wifey's Car: 2014 Dart RALLYE 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: