Manual Trans Swap In Durango - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5.2L/5.9L/6.7L Engines Questions regarding the 5.2L/5.9L/6.7L V8 Engines

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 1999 durango 5.2
Manual Trans Swap In Durango

Hey Guys....anyone have experience or info regarding swapping a 5 speed manual trans into a 1999 durango 5.2 auto? I will pose this question as well: Will the current transfercase bolt onto an old fashioned 727 trans from the late 80's ? I am aware of the "notch" in the bellhousing issue, thats no big deal. What other pitfalls are there? Crossmembers and such are no big issue for me to modify. This truck will only be used occaisonally not daily driven or used for off-roading/towing or long trips at all. Just want it to be dependable for when I need it. The worst towing will be a very small trailer being moved for about 15 miles ( about 1 thousand pounds total weight ). This would be moved twice a year. I hear and see too many bad stories about the 44re trans. Fuel mileage is not a concern,but we all would like that 5th gear to help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: Dakota
Reputation: 150 96daksport is a name known to all96daksport is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 96daksport
I would imagine you could take a 99 manual dak and swap all the necessary parts. I dont know why dodge never offered one, I know I have driven a manual Exploder before.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 

Vehicle: 2 of em.
Reputation: 394 jmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to beholdjmaack727 is a splendid one to behold
Because dodge is gay. Full size trucks and suvs get v8s and manuals but we cant. Bah.
But like said, get a manual trans, from a similar year dak, and a 99 manual pcm, should be good.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Dak, thanks for responding. I know I would need the ECU from the Dakota as well. What do you know about the current transfercase fitting onto a 727 ?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:48 PM

I live in an area where there are 2 U-Pull-It yards. One is over 3 thousand cars and trucks.....tranny there would cost me about 95.00. Of course it's a matter of luck to find it. ( I don't need the NV4500 so it should be easier )
Old 01-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: Dakota
Reputation: 150 96daksport is a name known to all96daksport is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 96daksport
Are you talking about Harry's Upullit?

And I really dont know about the 727. I know that when guys switch shifters to a floor shift they but a kit for a 727, but that is definitely not enough information.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:51 AM

Yeah.... Harry's-U-Pull-It.....and now another one called D's U-Pull-It ( it's just a new area of DeNaples Auto Yard ). I only go to harry's for mostly drivetrain parts....rears...manual trannys...transfercases....driveshafts.....etc; Now and then I find gold but, for the most part only half the time I get what I need. It's only 45 minutes for me to go there. Haven't been to D's yet. But you can't beat the prices.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:06 AM

I am not new to tranny swaps btw...I have swapped a 5 speed into my 95' Voyager 3.0 and what a difference ! Feels like a V-8. miles went up to 25 in city and almost 31 on road trips ( just can't break the 31 mark ). That was easy swap, one day and done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: