4WD Problems W/ NV233 Transfer Case (Grinding) - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transmissions Shift Kits, Transmissions, Torque Converters, Clutches

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM
150,XXX Miles

Vehicle: '02 Dur 4.7L SLT
4WD Problems W/ NV233 Transfer Case (Grinding)

I have the NV233 Transfer case that has the option between 2WD, 4 HI, 4LO and N. When I switch it from 2WD to 4WD HI, it makes an almost grinding type sound (I can hear something make like turns/revolutions, I almost want to say the drive shaft?)that you can hear when you step on the accelerator pedal. It doesn't make the noise when you coast or brake. I have tried switching it both when stopped in the park gear and in the drive gear. I have also tried switching it going about 25 mph. I can tell it's working, because of the added traction in the snow, but it still makes that noise. I don't seem to have the 4WD service light on, is there a fluid level I can check? Any help would be nice, I can survive without it because of my decent all season tires (General Grabber HTS), but incase I ever do need it, I would like to have it working. Thanks in advance!
5DW #187 A lot of stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Diesel Mechanic

Vehicle: 99 Dakota 4x4
how many miles are on it? and has the driveline ever been serviced? if not its definetly due. you can check the level on the tcase by removing the fill plug and seeing if the fluid is level with the hole.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
Drain the fluid and check it for debris. 10mm hex to remove the drain and fill plugs.

Takes a couple quarts of ATF+4.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 AM
150,XXX Miles

I have 132,000 miles on her, whats the driveline and how much will that cost? Wheres the fill plug to tell if I'm low on fluid?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 AM

Vehicle: Null
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydog07 View Post
I have 132,000 miles on her, whats the driveline and how much will that cost? Wheres the fill plug to tell if I'm low on fluid?
The 'driveline' is your Engine, Tranny, transfer case, driveshafts, diffs, etc... Its a 'system' on your truck.

There are 2 plugs on the back of the transfer case. One at the bottom, facing rearward, and one maybe 6" higher up. The bottom one is the drain plug, the top one is the fill. Pull both the plugs and check the magnet on the drain plug (I think there is a magnet on it, I could be wrong) and check the oil that comes out. If there's metal shavings in it, you have pretty serious problems, and it needs to be professionally looked at.

When you put the plugs back in, remember to use a thread sealant.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:39 PM
150,XXX Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor View Post
The 'driveline' is your Engine, Tranny, transfer case, driveshafts, diffs, etc... Its a 'system' on your truck.

There are 2 plugs on the back of the transfer case. One at the bottom, facing rearward, and one maybe 6" higher up. The bottom one is the drain plug, the top one is the fill. Pull both the plugs and check the magnet on the drain plug (I think there is a magnet on it, I could be wrong) and check the oil that comes out. If there's metal shavings in it, you have pretty serious problems, and it needs to be professionally looked at.

When you put the plugs back in, remember to use a thread sealant.
I know I'm going to sound really stupid but where do I find the transfer case? Is it under the hood or under the car itself? And would I be looking for the metal on the magnet or the metal coming out in the oil itself?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:55 PM

Vehicle: Null
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydog07 View Post
I know I'm going to sound really stupid but where do I find the transfer case? Is it under the hood or under the car itself? And would I be looking for the metal on the magnet or the metal coming out in the oil itself?
The transfer case is right behind your transmission. Basically right under your seat, in the middle of the truck. If you walk up to your truck as though you were going to open the drivers door, crouch down and look underneath. You'll see the rear drive shaft run to the rear of the transfer case, and the front drive shaft will run to the front of the transfer case, on the drivers side.

You should be looking for metal in both. A little bit of VERY fine metal on the magnet is ok. It should be so fine that you won't even think its metal, just thick fluid stuck to the plug. You should not be able to see metal in the oil at all.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
150,XXX Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor View Post
The transfer case is right behind your transmission. Basically right under your seat, in the middle of the truck. If you walk up to your truck as though you were going to open the drivers door, crouch down and look underneath. You'll see the rear drive shaft run to the rear of the transfer case, and the front drive shaft will run to the front of the transfer case, on the drivers side.

You should be looking for metal in both. A little bit of VERY fine metal on the magnet is ok. It should be so fine that you won't even think its metal, just thick fluid stuck to the plug. You should not be able to see metal in the oil at all.
Excellent, I'll have to give that a look.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
150,XXX Miles

Is ATF red? I am noticing a small leak in my driveway and it could be possibly from that.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango
Yes ATF is red. I'm having the same problems with 4wd. I also have a grinding/clanking noise only when in 4wd and no noise at all in 2wd. Grinding noise happens when going straight and even little throttle applied. So far my research hss found that it could be a bad front driveshaft but I'm still looking for answers.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
150,XXX Miles

It's a bad front drive shaft (propeller shaft), the stock flange/yoke is bad and it needs to be replaced/refurbished (what i did $180). One of the two flanges will have a bunch or dirt and rust when you take it off (which is what you hear). I took my off and had it serviced, popped it back on (9 bolts) and it was/is good to go!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango
Before you replaced your front driveshaft, was there any play when you tried to wiggle it or was it pretty tight? My front driveshaft doesn't really have any play on it but I guess I'll try replacing it anyway. Thanks for the update!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 02 Dakota 4WD 4.7V8
HOLY COW! this is the same exact problem I have now. Griding when going in 4x4 forward and reverse. much worse in reverse. the stock flange/yoke you speak of....that is on the front drive shaft connected to the transfer case right? Oh FYI, I have a 2002 dakota sport 4x4, 4.7 v8 5 speed manual. Also replaced the pinion bearing and races and carrier bearing and races as well. They were really bad.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Vehicle: 02 Dakota 4WD 4.7V8
Tydog07, Was it difficult to repair?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
Driveshaft replacement is easy. Four bolts at the front axle, 6 at the t-case. Done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: