Harmonic balancer installation.....special tool - Dakota Durango Forum
4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
WestCoastKevin

Vehicle: 2002 Durango SLT+ 4.7L V8
Modifications: HO Cams, Superchips, 5-45rfe TCM mod.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Harmonic balancer installation.....special tool

Hello,
Do I really need this tool to install the Harmonic balancer/damper?
http://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=563

I like buying tools as much as the next but I try not to buy "one time only" tools.

Two Questions
1. If so do any of you have one laying around (to sell me) that you will not use again?
2. Can you recommend any general tool like the OTC 4531 or similar that can also do the job?

Thanks,
Kevin

Regards,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 AM
dbilik

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota QC

I will tell you my recommendation, and then what I ended up doing. Go to grainger or McMaster Carr, or similar, and get yourself a threaded rod that matches the threads on the dampener bolt. Maybe a foot long or so. Get a nut to fit it and a bunch of washers. Thread the rod into the crank, and when you have your dampener lined up, stack the washers over the rod so they rest on the dampener and just tighten down on the nut. The pain here will be finding a threaded rod to match the bolt, it is metric, and some weird thread like 10X1.5 or 1.25, sorry I don't remember exactly which thread offhand.

What I ended up doing was polishing the crank and inside of the dampener so that they would go together smoothly, tapped the dampener on a little and used the bolt to pull it onto the crank, BIG no no, I know, but I had to keep moving to beat the weather and I was super careful, took a lot of prep time polishing too to make sure it went on without too much force.

I went so far as to try and weld bolts together without much luck. The threaded rod should do the trick. No easy way to get it on that I could think of.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 05:51 AM
mthandt

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota QC
Modifications: K&N 77 series,Superchips 3715.

Send a message via AIM to mthandt Send a message via Yahoo to mthandt
Check your local chain auto parts store. A lot of them have a tool rental program and will probably have that tool or a similar one to it. Most of the time you just pay them up front whatever the tool costs and then you get your money back when you return it.

My truck is cool.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 AM
dbilik

Hate to say it but they probably won't have it. It is metric threaded and must match your crankshaft. You can find the SE dampener install tools all day long but if any of the major chains carry one for our engines I would like to know also.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 AM
mthandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbilik View Post
Hate to say it but they probably won't have it. It is metric threaded and must match your crankshaft. You can find the SE dampener install tools all day long but if any of the major chains carry one for our engines I would like to know also.

Will keep this in mind because I will have to install my ATI undedrive pulley/damper soon. I also like your idea I'm sure it would work nicely.

My truck is cool.

post #6 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 AM
mthandt

Talk to Nick over at AirRam performance, it seems as if he has the tool for some kind of rental.

http://www.airram.com/product.php?ca...productid=1476

My truck is cool.

post #7 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Rebel13
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 2K R/T

Rent one!
post #8 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM
KRC Tech

Vehicle: 2500 Ram 4cylinder

I use the torch and heat the hub up to 200-250 degrees, grease the seal on the cover and it slides right on. Then hit it with water. Simple.

Marty Fletcher, Lead tech
KRC Performance, Florida

1000rw SRT8 Record Holder
530rw All Motor SRT8 Jeep
post #9 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 01:55 PM
AIR_RAM
www.AIRRAM.com

Vehicle: 2002 QC RAM 4.7L *SOLD*
Modifications: 2011 Grand Sport Corvette :)

You want to be carefull with the ATI damper and torches... Im sure Marty knows how to do it without melting the inner damper bands but if this method is used you should be very carefull not to get it too hot.

ATI recomends that you boil the damper in water for 5 minutes and then install it.. I took it a step further and used cold air to freeze the snout. Honestly I did that and the tolorences where so close that it got about 1/4 of the way and then just froze... I ended up purchasing the correct install tool and got to say its a dream to install with the right tool.

I had a kit put together with the installer & removal tool... but the price for all tools is a bit too much so I plan to offer the tool alone for rental.

We rent the tools out for what they cost new. And charge a weekly rental fee + shipping and deduct that amount once the tool is returned then refund the difference.

We do have the install tool in stock. Also, it appears this tool will also work on the 3.7L & 5.7L... The 4.7L bolts and 5.7L bolts are almost identical.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
post #10 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
dbilik

If you aren't going to fab up your own tool I would definately say rent it from airram then, will save you a lot of headaches.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 PM
KRC Tech

Vehicle: 2500 Ram 4cylinder

If it is an ATI -I separate the hub from the balancer before installing.

Marty Fletcher, Lead tech
KRC Performance, Florida

1000rw SRT8 Record Holder
530rw All Motor SRT8 Jeep
post #12 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 PM
scjeep4.7HO

Vehicle: 97 dakota, 04 G. cherokee
Modifications: 2004 Grand Cherokee. Supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed. meth injected, SCT tuned, 72mm F&B throttle body, 180* T stat, Magnaflow exhaust, Trans go shift kit W/ deep trans pan.

I lubed the snout and the inside of the hub. Lightly tapped it onto the snout, then I kept checking it with the stock bolt. Once I had over 3/4" sticking out of the hub I used the stock bolt to pull it on. Worked fine just have to make sure you have enough threads into the snout so not to strip it.

Paxton NOVI 2000 supercharged Jeep 4.7L HO, Cammed, Heads, Built Motor, Custom COG supercharger drive sysem, Custom ATI dampner w/ custom cog pulley, Both Sheet metal intake or stock intake, Turbo Smart race port BOV, 72mm F&B throttle body, Meth injected, SCT tuned, 60# injectors, Billet fuel rails, full Fuel system, True dual Exhaust W/Magnaflows, Iridium plugs, Built Transmission W/Trans-Go shift Kit, Deep trans pan W/Trans cooler, 180* T stat, 275 60 R17 rubber, ETC....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: