Won't start in 'Park' - starts in 'Neutral' - Dakota Durango Forum
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
SD_R/T
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota R/T CC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Won't start in 'Park' - starts in 'Neutral'

Ok, so I'm 90 miles from home yesterday when I get in the Dak and it doesn't start. Won't turn over - not even any 'clicking' from the solenoid. Tried jumping it - nothing. Since it was getting late and I was far from home, I figured I'd get it towed to a local shop and get a hotel for the night.

Tried to start it in 'neutral' and it fired right up! WTF? I was able to get it home and this morning the same deal - won't start in 'park' but starts in 'neutral'. Anyone ever heard of this? If the starter was toast, wouldn't it be toast regardless of which gear it was in? I would think if the park/neutral switch went bad, it'd be the same thing: it would be bad regardless of gear.

edit: transmission linkage?

Last edited by SD_R/T; 11-25-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 PM
viperkota
Mods Addict

Vehicle: nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_R/T View Post
Ok, so I'm 90 miles from home yesterday when I get in the Dak and it doesn't start. Won't turn over - not even any 'clicking' from the solenoid. Tried jumping it - nothing. Since it was getting late and I was far from home, I figured I'd get it towed to a local shop and get a hotel for the night.

Tried to start it in 'neutral' and it fired right up! WTF? I was able to get it home and this morning the same deal - won't start in 'park' but starts in 'neutral'. Anyone ever heard of this? If the starter was toast, wouldn't it be toast regardless of which gear it was in? I would think if the park/neutral switch went bad, it'd be the same thing: it would be bad regardless of gear.

edit: transmission linkage?

could be the linkage, but sounds more like your park/ neutral switch has gone bad.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
SD_R/T
All I wanted was a Pepsi

I hope it's just the switch - that would be a nice inexpensive fix. Then again, adjusting the linkage wouldn't be too costly either. Last thing I need to be doing this time a year is buying a starter. I'm stuck at work and won't be able to check anything until later this evening.

If a switch goes bad, would it let the starter fire in one gear and not another? Seems like it would go bad altogether, but then again I've never had one of these crap out on any of my vehicles before so I have no idea what these things act like when they go.

post #4 of 19 Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 PM
viperkota
Mods Addict

Vehicle: nope

Quote:
I hope it's just the switch - that would be a nice inexpensive fix. Then again, adjusting the linkage wouldn't be too costly either. Last thing I need to be doing this time a year is buying a starter. I'm stuck at work and won't be able to check anything until later this evening.

If a switch goes bad, would it let the starter fire in one gear and not another? Seems like it would go bad altogether, but then again I've never had one of these crap out on any of my vehicles before so I have no idea what these things act like when they go.
yeah if it was your starter it would have problems in either park or neutral.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
SD_R/T
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Not going into park

Ok, so my situation just got a little more fun. Now it's looking like a transmission issue.

Starter and neutral/park switch test ok. Everything appeared normal with the shift linkage as well. What I didn't notice yesterday, but noticed today was that it wasn't going fully into park (which is probably why the starter wouldn't fire up). Sounds like there might be others who this has happened to. Apparently there is a piece or lever that breaks off, not letting it go into park fully?

Was going to drive out of town and visit family tomorrow but now I'm not sure. Is this more of a nuisance or will I fuck up the tranny driving with this broken piece?

FML

post #6 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 AM
GWhaley

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota Q.C.

I know there is a recall for the safety interlock in the steering column My truck had it done. Not sure if this is part of your issue or not.
Here is the link:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/...f=SearchResult
post #7 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
SD_R/T
All I wanted was a Pepsi

From what I understand, that is for '01 and '02 models only? I've got a 2000. Maybe I'm wrong?

I thought that recall was for a problem where the vehicle could be shifted 'out' of park while turned off. My problem is that it doesn't want to fully engage into park.

Edit: yep, just read the recall notice. 2001 and 2002 only. Thanks though.

post #8 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 AM
GWhaley

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota Q.C.

Quote:
From what I understand, that is for '01 and '02 models only? I've got a 2000. Maybe I'm wrong?

I thought that recall was for a problem where the vehicle could be shifted 'out' of park while turned off. My problem is that it doesn't want to fully engage into park.

Edit: yep, just read the recall notice. 2001 and 2002 only. Thanks though.
Maybe pull the steering column cover off and have a look at the shift blocker anyways.....you never know.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
SD_R/T
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Ok, update: Gear indicators on the dash are slightly off. For example, the little orange indicator is actually just left of 'N' when I'm actually in neutral, etc. I know there is an adjustment for this, but I'm guessing I should probably adjust the shift linkage first? Also, I can get the shift lever on the column far enough into park that I can get the key out and the reverse lights turn off, however the truck will still 'drift' like it's not in park. E-brake is necessary to keep it in place.

I'm beginning to think the band anchor hasn't dropped like on other's transmissions. I took it out this morning - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shifts were all good.

I checked the linkage yesterday - seemed snug and in good order. No play or obvious damage. But today I want to try disconnecting it and making sure the manual shift lever on the tranny is all the way back (in park) per the FSM adjustment directions. But I'm having a bitch of a time trying to release the shift linkage lock (the little plastic thing below the brake booster). The FSM gives no indication how to remove it and I'm starting to feel a little retarded that I can't get it off. Anyone got this little bastard off?

post #10 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
SD_R/T
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Ok got that little bugger off. Adjusted the shift linkage per the FSM. Still won't start in park. Took it around the block. All shifts are good. Now after adjusting the shift linkage, the column gear indicators are a full notch off. Indicator in 'N' = drive, indicator in 'R' = neutral, and so on.

post #11 of 19 Old 11-27-2009, 10:21 PM
89dak2wd

Vehicle: 1989 dakota 3.9

try moving the gear shifter back and forth from park to 1 a few times. usually when that happens to me its just the nuetral safety switch out of alignment.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-27-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
SD_R/T
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Neutral switch ended up being ok. The front band anchor dropped, keeping it from going into park. Front band has some wear, so now I'm looking at a rebuild.

post #13 of 19 Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 PM
SteffieMoe

Did you end up doing a complete rebuild? Or were able to just replace the bands?? My 99 Durango is having the same issue!!
post #14 of 19 Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 PM
TazRango
Jersey Boy

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT+ 4.7
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

The front band isn't too bad, but if the rear band is going you might as well do a full rebuild, since you have to tear the whole thing apart to get to it anyway.

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)
post #15 of 19 Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 PM
SteffieMoe

it's the 2nd gear band that out in mine :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: