Dakota Durango Forum banner

Schrader Valve Tool

12K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  05SLT 
#1 ·
So I'm having my A/C worked on and my mechanic tells me that the schrader valve in the high pressure line is leaking and needs replacing. It's a dealer only part that requires a special tool to remove and replace.

We got the part, but does anyone know where I could find this special tool? The mechanic says he's having a hard time finding one. Apparently, it's not a standard one on these trucks.

#2 ·
schraeder valve tool?!?!? slap that mechanic and never go back to him...any1 got a tire valve core remover??? SAME DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
A schraeder valve tools allow you to do the change with the system under pressure. Have fun with that with a tire valve core remover.

#4 ·
I hate to disagree without knowing a whole hell of a lot about the subject, but I think the mechanic is right. I looked at the valve and it's much bigger than any other valve I've seen. He said specifically that it's not the size of a normal one like from a tire.

#8 ·
So the mechanic told me he was unable to find the tool to get mine out. He told me to go down to this shop that specializes in Auto A/C work. I went by there, they took one look at it, pulled the truck around and had it out in 30 seconds and the new one back in. I asked the guy about the tool and he said they use a kit from SnapOn that comes with about 20 different size pullers in it. Just an FYI for anyone out there who might run into the same problem.

#12 ·
Man you can buy that tool from an advance auto catalog. You don't need to buy it from snap on. I got one of those from my house. And yes you can use a valve core tool on some vechicles for removing them. Whoever it was that said they are for removing them under pressure is wrong. YOu should never remove anything on refrigerant tubing or any other part if its under refrigerant pressure.

#14 ·
this is from the snap on kit posted above.

Description:
Unique design offers a locking device that holds the shaft in place when removing or installing the valve core. Makes removal and installation of Schrader valve cores possible on fully charged systems.

#13 ·
05SLT i'm in the navy also and we use the correct tool. Why would you waste your time notching out an allen wrench when you can just order one from johnstone or grainger. If a ac&r technician doesn't have a valve core removal tool then he isn't much of a tech.

#15 ·
Whatever I've replaced about 50 of them on all kinds of different vechicles without the snap on kit. I just have a auto a/c schraeder valve remover cost less than 10 bucks.

#16 ·
I have actually replaced them on an 01 dakota along with the evaporator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.