Dakota Durango Forum banner

Squeaky Front End (HELP!)

52K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  BigRed78 
#1 ·
I have 2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V8. When I turn the steering wheel or drive over speed bumps I hear squeaking. There is no popping sounds only squeaking. I have already replaced the tie rod end. When I put it on jack stands and turn the steering wheel the sound stops. Any advice you could offer would be great!

#2 ·
Have you tried pushing down repeatedly on the front bumper and seeing if it squeaks? It would explain the squeaking over speed bumps (possibly sway bar bushings), but I'm not sure what turning the steering wheel and it squeaking could mean. I'm sure another member will post a reply soon, but this might get you started.

#3 ·
i have a 2006 raider, and mine did the exact same thing for a day when it was -20 degrees as i live in minnesota. when it warmed up it quit. i couldnt find what was squeaking but it didnt seem like it effected the drivability

#7 ·
suppose it might thats y i reccomended spraying your bushings when it will be dry for a while with a spray lubricant do like certne ones at a time so that way you can be like o not the swaybar bushings... not the control arm bushings... not this or that you can use process of elimination to find it.... when was the last time your shocks were replaced... i belive most reccomend them being replaced every 50K miles

#8 ·
It's been a long time since the shocks were replaced. Also, the noise was not there one day, and just showed up the next.

I have the front end of the truck off the ground now, and it doesn't make any noise turning the wheel. Which leaves me to believe that it's a shock or bushings.

#9 ·
i would say its a shock or a bushing too look and see if you have any that look like they are worn badly or look like they are dryrotted or any torn balljoints or tierod ends while your down there aswell cant hurt to give everything a good lookover and make sure your front halfshafts boots arnt torn or anythin

#10 ·
Front sway bar bushings, lube them up!

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
WTF? How much experience you got in anything? It's far from shocks and struts, For one i never hear them squeak unless beyond limits, his year far from beyond limits. Front sway bar bushings....it is

#13 ·
um daks dont have struts any way boss this is another one of them damn spams look at the location and vehicle...... if the "SHOCKS" are extreamly worn they can squeek though but i would be looking at the bushings

#15 ·
They do have struts in 05+ :sorry:

#17 ·
OP says 2005. I may be drinking, but how much are you drinking? 2 and 4 wd's are struts up front.

#19 ·
nope

#22 ·
I've never heard of a ball joint squeak, but I guess the sound's gone. I'm more used to popping noices and then the truck falling to the ground lol.

#23 ·
They squeak when they are dry as hell. The hoodlems with old use cars, you hear that shit all the time!

#25 ·
Dodge flaw

#32 ·
my truck had two different squeaks.

one was the sway arm bushings. i only heard this going over bumps. i lubed them a couple of times, it came back every time. i then purchased new bushings and it hasn't came back yet.

second was/is the upper ball joints. when i turned the wheel these would squeak. i got a needle in the seal and filled them up and they havent come back yet. expecting them to dry out again eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.