Dakota Durango Forum banner

2wd to 4x4...and a solid axle?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Lear96 
#1 ·
So, this is more of an 'I'm dreaming big,' and am wondering if anyone has ever even attempted such a large build on a 2nd gen Dak and is it feasible thread than an actual 'I'm doing this,' thread. That being said, I DO want to convert my 99 Dakota Pickup cab ,3.9L, 5-speed NV3500 to 4x4, this is one of the many methods that crossed my mind, and after kicking the thought around it seems the most time and labor consuming, but hey if i'm going to convert it, I may as well go all out.

Now, before we start this discussion, id like to kick to the curb any suggestions of "Why don't you just trade your 2wd in for a 4x4?" The answer is this, sentimental value.

And now on to the topic, I've done some research (and by some I mean it's all I've done for the past month) and it seems as though I'd be in for a lot of welding, fabrication, measuring, remeasuring, oh wait I screwed up let's try that again, for a few months. Not to mention a few high dollar tool purchases for aligning the front differential and the T-case...that's a headache believe me. But I think this would be worth ever penny and drop of sweat, just for the solid axle capabilities.

Your thoughts? By the way, keep it civil please.

See less See more
#3 ·
I believe I've seen the same (if not similar) thread.
Same here, I have yet to come across a 99 Dak 4x4 that I could get a good look at to see if a straight swap would be possible or not, I'm almost positive the Crysler modified the frames of the 4x4's to acomidate the differential and the 4x4 IFS. If this is indeed the case I'd need to modify the frame anyway...

#4 ·
the frames are different and so are the motor mounts. for you shoving a mid 70's bronco dana 44 under it with radius arms and coil is easier as you just add coil buckets. and for the 2wd-4wd conversion the tailhousing of the trans needs to be replaced also the output shaft may need to be replaced (meaning tear trans gut out and replace) the trans is easier to find a NV3500 4wd trans from a full size ram and then get a drive shaft to make it work with the dana 44 axle.

#7 ·
So here are you options for a 4wd conversion, based on my 1993 Dodge Dakota experiences.

1. Sell your 2wd, buy a 4wd. EASY!

2. Do a body/frame swap just like I did. Medium difficulty to do, lots of time/space/parts needed. Mostly bolt on, no welding necessary. Find a 4wd truck with the same cab/bed and engine size as yours. Swap over the frames body and engine.

Click HERE

3. Do a SAS Solid/Straight Axle Swap, 100% custom tons of cutting and welding necessary. Hard to do, tons of time, and way more $$ than you think. I did this too, Click HERE
Take your pick!

#8 ·
Not sure how I feel about a divorced tcase, with the rough country I would want to take it through I'm not sure how it would handle it. After researching the required checklist of mating up a tcase with my trans, I'd prefer to pull an NV3500 with a tcase already on it I'm thinking, but I'm going to do more research on cost benefit before I make that call.

Crazy4x4rt...I don't mean to nit-pick or start a brawl, but your welds don't look so great...and that crossmember you modified...sends shivers down my spine, may I suggest redesigning it soonish? Other than that your project looks good, did you start with the 5.9? I bet that puppy puts out a lot of torque!

The thing I'm thinking of doing differently is rigging up a coil-over shock and a four link, as opposed to leaf springs like you did with your setup. Side-note: I am well aware of the costs of all this haha but considering that the truck was free to me, I don't feel I'm losing much buy pouring several grand into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.