Dakota Durango Forum banner

P0505, cant figure it out

33K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  brudahwalt 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 Durango 5.9 4x4, I am super happy with it just wish I could figure out how to fix the P0505 code. I have searched a bunch, online and on this forum and I have not found a solid conclusion as to what the fix is. I purchased a new IAC, set it to spec and put it in, reset the pcm to get rid of the engine light and it came right back. I cleaned everything, cleaned the old one tried both of them reset the engine light and it still comes right back on. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks:huh:

#2 ·
here is the code from this website. it may have something to do with your speed sensor or wiring

P0505 (M) Idle Air Control Motor Circuits A vehicle speed signal was not detected

#4 ·
The directions said to adjust it so the end copper colored thing was 1 and 1/8inch from the mounting surface.... I dont know though, the durango idled pretty high at that setting, and the one I took out sat out much farther, but it would still throw the code....

#6 ·
Weird, I tried that first and the durango was idling around 1600 rpms...? I drove it for a while and reset the engine light with it idling that high and the idle never went down and the engine light came back... I took the IAC back to Checker and looked at another one that had directions that said to adjust it to 1 and 1/8 inch so I tried that, still idled a little high.... I will pick up another one from somewhere else and see how it goes...

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses... With the stock IAC(meaning the one that was in there when I bought it) the durango idles fine and exhibits no problems at all except the engine light. With the replacement IAC the durango idled high and still had the engine light. I wonder if it was defective or something?? should I get an IAC from the dodge dealer? I will examine the wiring and post my findings.

#11 ·
Its been a while since I last posted, but I just wanted to update the thread. I went out to start the Durango the other day and the battery was dead, or so I thought. I didnt get a chance to check it out until today and I found the ground connector for the battery was loose, and had a bunch of old dioelectric grease or something on it... I cleaned the crap out of it, and while I was at it I undid all the grounds I could find in the engine bay and cleaned them all with a metal brush. The outcome.... no engine light, the code is gone, so apparently it had something to do with a bad ground.... :mullet:

#12 ·
you prob. didnt fix it. all you did was clear the pcm. the check engine light will be back.

did you clear the codes after u replaced the IAC?

#13 ·
I have reset the PCM many times, and the light comes back immediately. when I started it yesterday I knew I had cleared the PCM, but I was expecting the light to come on right after I started it and it didnt. Yesterday I drove for about 15 min and no engine light, started it up this morning and let it run for a few minutes and no engine light. Its weird, but it seems like it worked. The new IAC I put in there was making the durango run worse than the original, so currently the original is in there, not the new one.

#19 ·
Well, the following worked for me for about $40 and about 2 hours of my time. I have a 2000 Durango R/T 5.9L, check engine light came on and discovered I had a P0505 error code by turning the ignition on and off 3 times and the code was displayed on the digital trip/mileage display.

From Autozone I bought a new IAC sensor $30, Throttle Body Gasket $2, Air Intake Gasket $2 and a new Air Filter $7.

First, disconnected both battery terminals to allow time for the PCM to clear, removed air intake from the Throttle Body and then from the Throttle Body removed all 3 electrical connectors and 1 vacuum tube (inspected for leaks, had none) and unbolted (3 bolts) the assembly holding the throttle cables as well as the cables (simply slide back on the cable mount) Removed the throttle body (it was very dirty externally and internally) and then removed the old IAC sensor and thoroughly cleaned the Throttle Body with Choke & Carb cleaner paying special attention to cleaning the IAC housing port.

After setting the tip of the IAC sensor to 1 and 1/8 inch from it’s mounting plate I reinstalled the components with the new gaskets and air filter, connected the battery terminals and BINGO…no check engine light. The truck seems to run REALLY smooth and a very smooth idle at about 600rpm’s. I’ve been driving it for a couple of weeks now and all is well.

Hope this helps…

#22 ·
I got a 97 Dakota, with the p0505 code. I bought a new IAC and installed it. Code went away for about a month. It is now back, I looked for corrshion everywhere I could, and only found a little bit off the main altanater wire. Of I drive it hard code will pop, if I baby it it takes a lot longer, like weeks. Any ideas? Where to look next? I have been just using a OBD II reader to delete the code. Any it works for a bit. When the code dose pop the truck struggles to idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.