Dakota Durango Forum banner

Motor out... Things to replace while out

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RalphP 
#1 ·
Pulling the motor outta my crawler and putting a supercharged 4.7 into my crawler. Truck has 103 on it and while its out I was thinking about doing a oil pump, cam and valve seats. Puffs a little smoke while idling then clears. Thinking of doing a cam as well. What cam should I go with for the supercharger?
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
Freeze or access plugs, while it's out.

I had my motor pulled, at 308,000+ miles, and the mechanic did the freeze plugs (my proximate cause, they were leaking towards the back on the sides), the rear seal (was leaking oil there), the oil pump (hey, see mileage and the pan was off!) and pickup, the timing chain (easier to reseal the oil pan to the timing chain cover after doing the timing chain), added the chain tensioner, and did the valve cover gaskets and intake gasket (they were in there, but I didn't expect him to do them! Not complaining, however!!)

So - anything you can't get to with the motor in the engine bay *grins*

RwP

#4 ·
I'd stick with a good name brand (Mellings, Mopar, etc.) Better Safe than Sorry.

That's what I did, anyway. Sealed Power for me at the time (for both the pump and the pickup).

(Of course, with my luck, Sealed Power is now Dorman rejects ... but at least I try! *grins* )

RwP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.