Dakota Durango Forum banner

03 QC 5.9 SAS soon to start cutting!!!

8K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  CarbonDak 
#1 ·
I picked up my axles on Fri, KP 60 5:38's , Elocker, Sterling 10.25 Old Pattern 538's and Griz locker. I got lucky on Sat and pick up a set of 40" Mud grapplers with less then 500 miles on them for 1K. Wouldn't be my first choice of tire but they seem to have decent reviews for performance offroad just noisy on the road and you cant beat that price.This is not a DD so the noise won't be an issue.

Cost of total project so far.
truck itself $6K
donor truck for axles $150
gears, lockers, and set up $3K
Artec axle truss $150

#2 ·
A little progress today

I got the tires mounted, rear axle shafts installed, and truss welded together. My plan was to get the front axle back together but I had to order the spindle bearing and seal kits. I couldn't find my angle finder so I couldn't weld the truss on the axle. I just ordered Rough Stuff rear disc brackets. Hopefully I can get both axles completed and ready for link brackets by the end of next weekend. I am also undecided on coil overs or ORI struts. Im leaning toward struts. If anyone has run both and can chime in Id really like to hear some input

Attachments

#4 ·
I haven't personally run ORI struts but I have been in a few rigs that have had them. The people I know who use them really like them and they offer some more stability than an air shock or coil over will give you. The only instance that the struts don't do as well is in the go fast stuff.

#5 ·
I picked up the rest of the goodies today to get the front axle together, seals, joints, calipers, etc. Plan is by the end of the weekend the front axle will be ready. The rear is waiting on the disc kit but that should be a quick swap. The next thing on the order list is ORI STX struts 14". After all I've read and heard I think that's the way to go. My truck will be mostly on road, trails, and rocks. Probably very little high speed off road if any. I will post pics as it comes together.

#7 ·
Looks like a great project. I'm doing a 99 Durango sas with 37" tires. 3 link in the front and in also thinking of going with ori struts. The rear will be leaf springs since I want to tow a jk on trips.

Your ahead of me. I got axles and parts but I still need to get wheels and tires. Also my first project is to install my NV4500 and Atlas. I hope to start the manual swap in the next week or so. I will be following your project closely. Please post a ton of pictures.

#8 ·
the stock dak abs sensor works in the sterling rear. You just need to cut off one of the ears on the rearend.

#10 ·
I don't have it on mine . I have 488 gears and 37s on mine. I clocked the truck and it was 7 mph slow. I just correct it myself when driving. For the trans mine is an auto as well it still works like its supposed to and the abs works.

#12 ·
So after basically ZERO progress over the summer I have decided to have a local shop start the SAS my truck. Here is a list of parts purchased to date and a few pics of the progress. A lot more pics and progress soon to come " I HOPE"

KP dana 60 538's artec truss and elocker
High steer crossover kit with passenger side arm
ORI 14" struts
Jonni joints, DOM tubing, brackets and tabs for front 4 link.
GM 1500 6" lift leaf springs for the rear
Shackle flip kit
Sterling 10.25, 538's, and griz locker
17x10 wheels with 40" Mud Grapplers ( not my first choice on tires but I couldn't pass up the deal )

I know a lot of you will say I should have went 3 link for the front but this truck will also be driven at hiway speeds by my wife . Yes Im probably sacrificing some flex but I still want good road manners.

The tube under the front is just a temporary cross member . It will be replaced after the steering box finds it's home.

I am in need of a reduction box or doubler kit to lengthen my front drive shaft, I have tried contacting both behemoth and D&D with no luck. Does anyone know of a 231/241 kit actually in existence that is for sale? I have found a few 203/205 kits but I really don't want all that weight and besides that by the time I get a 203 and a 205 rebuilt plus the kit and shifters I just as well get a 4 speed atlas.

I hope to get a test run in it before the snow flies or sooner. I will post more as it starts to come together.

Hey 5 Spd how is the Durango project coming? Pics?

Attachments

#13 ·
Have you tried clocking the t cAse

#15 ·
There used to be doubler kits using the 231 on the market but they proved to be to weak

#16 ·
After some more research and talking with NW Fabworks I think I'll just do a eco box and a 241. I emailed Kris late last night and had a response answering all my questions this morning. It looks like everyone that has delt with NW was happy. I cant even get a call back from D&D after I left a message saying I need to order a doubler asap meaning a guaranteed sale if he would have just called back.

#17 ·
I would use the Dakota Digital interface, my speedo is exact with 37" tires and 5.38 gears. Very easy to setup and calibrate.

Good call on the Eco Box, that is the route I would like to go. My buddy runs the Black Box version. He had a few issues when it was first installed but he is happy with it now.

How far forward are you pushing the front axle?

#18 ·
After talking with NW Fab they convinced me to go with an eco box and a np205. I pick up a used 205 from a friend for $100, it was shifting and running fine when he pulled it out. According to the big brown truck tracking .com the eco and shifter will be here by the end of Tuesday.

I went by the shop and helped (very little he was almost done when I got there) drop the t-case out of the Dakota. I read somewhere that "some 231's and 233's were 6 pinion planetary's. I hoped being behind the 360 I just might have one aaaannnnnnnnddddd NO a 3 pinion. I had made a few calls around town and a local shop said they had a shelf full of good used t-case parts I could come look through to see if I could find a 6 pinion. I was there less then 5 minutes and scored a 6 pinion for $50.

The steering box is ready to bolt in, he was just waiting on the bolts to show up. Amazing no one in town had and 7" long 7/16 bolts that were up to snuff for holding a steering box on.

We decided to order front shackle mounts for the new rear springs after discovering the factory mounts are a gusset for a splice in the frame. Rather then cut them out and weld something in to replace the gusset. They will just get left in place, trimmed and cleaned up to clear the new springs.

I will try to post some pics in the next week or so. Progress has been slow gathering all the parts so the shop can spend some extended time on it rather then jump back and forth to it waiting on parts. It kinda looks like it might get broke in on a snow run. Im guessing the snow will be here SOOOON!!

#20 ·
So I got to see the truck move on its own today, yaaaahoooo!! Just a few final touches and I'll be bringing it home tomorrow. I do have one issue that will need addressed before any real wheeling. The vacuum brake just aren't powerful enough for the doubler in low low with the 538s. It's on fit street but when in double low the truck just over powers the brakes. Can anyone help me out with a parts list for a hydro boost conversion.

#21 ·
Got her home!!!!

Here is a couple pics. Having an issue with the eco box blowing oil out the vent. I'm hoping it's just too full. I'll get the garage warmed up in the morning and check it out closer. It flexes nice. A bit of a vibration from the front drive shaft. I may need a double joint on both ends of it, the angle isn't real steep but it has left to right angle as well as up and down angle.

Attachments

#23 ·
Can anyone help me find info on upgrading my master cylinder. I read somewhere on here that someone put a 1 ton MC from a Dodge on their Dakota. I am just wondering what year and model their trucks were? I looked at a MC from a 96 Ram and it wasn't even close to fitting. One from an 03 3500 looks close. Any ides?

#25 ·
New pics with exo and sliders. I have about 200 miles on her mostly trails/hiway driving and 1 good shake down run under my belt. Hydro assist steering is going on order Monday. Inner air beadlocks will be next on the last as well. I have also added hydro-boost brake system from a junkyard 96 chevy 2500. It made the brakes 1000 times better. I can lock up all 4 40's if need be!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.