Dakota Durango Forum banner

Camper?

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Flat4Love 
#1 ·
I have an '02 Dakota quad cab 4x4, and my wife and I have been seriously thinking about buying a camper. My only worry is that will the truck and 4.7 have the kahuna's to do it? I know a pop-up style camper would be no problem but we have been looking at the ultra light campers with the slide outs on either end. i think total tow length was around 22ft and around 3600lbs with a hitch weight of right under 400lbs. I do know that the sway bars that attach to the camper's tongue would help but I want to know realistically if my dream of RV ownership is too big with my Dakota? Also, will my manual transmission hurt or help the situation any?

#2 ·
My parents have pulled thier 25ft ultralight hybrid (hard side with the bunks on the ends) for 6 yrs now... In an 02 durango with the 4.7...no issues at all...

Only issue i see is getting used to clutching the tranny with the added weight... Other than that.... You may want to look into a heavy duty clutch....

#5 ·
You can get an HO kit for it.

#7 ·
My camper is another dodge dakota!:D
but seriously I have had no issues pulling a double axle car hauler back when I was stock.... just make sure you have trailer brakes and deep gears and you're good to go.
gears gears gears!

#8 ·
I pull this 20' toy hauler with my truck: 4.7L, manual tranny, 3.92 axle, 4x2. Dry weight it's listed at 4200#, when I have it loaded up for a trip it's a lot more than that. Never weighed this loaded rig, but I'd venture to say that it's over 6000# easily, probably close to 7000#. I use an Equil-I-Zer hitch with 1000# bars.

Loaded or empty this trailer takes pretty much the same effort to pull, the wind resistance is the same regardless of the weight, and I know it's behind me. Because of my modest mods and gearing I have plenty of power, but could always use more. It does struggle sometimes holding speed in 4th gear (load, gravity, incline, RPMs, etc.), but I have found I can keep it in 4th up a modest grade at 3000 RPM (~70MPH). Dropping into 3rd I can conquer anything hill I have pulled with gusto at about 4500 RPM (55-60 MPH).

I took a trip from CA to NC towing a car trailer. Total weight (truck and trailer with completely stuffed Jeep Cherokee) was 12,250#. Far less wind drag, much easier to tow.

Attachments

#11 ·
+1 for Equalizer Hitch. Nothing like anti sway and weight distribution.

5.2L, 3.92G, LSD, Bags, Brake Controller, Wilwood BBK, Custom Tranny, Rear Sway Bar, Tranny Cooler, etc, etc. My 5000+lb Airstream and I have been at almost 13000ft! Just take it slow.

No personal experience with the 4.7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.