Gear Swap 3.55 to 4.56 - Dakota Durango Forum
New Member Introductions A place for people who are new to the site to introduce themselves.

post #1 of 3 Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Colin Quinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gear Swap 3.55 to 4.56

Any advice or opinions help! Ive got a 2000 Dakota 5.9l 4x4. Running 35x12.5x18 Trying to get a little more get up and go. If anyone else has done this with a similar set up any pros or cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-19-2017, 01:21 PM
RXT

Vehicle: 99 Dakota
Modifications: Quad Cab swap, Cummins swap, Solid axle swap
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Yeah, a 4.56 will certainly give you more get-up and go, but with 35's I'd be more concerned about the front wheel bearings and front diff.

The bearings will not be happy with bigger tires and won't last real long if you got the wrong rim offset. Unfortunately, the bearing design just isn't very durable when bigger tires are used.

The front differential housing is made out of aluminum. Normally they hold up fine on stock sized tires, but the bigger tires tends to require more torque to turn (especially in difficult off road terrain if you love using 4wd) When torque on the gears increase, the pinion gear inside the diff wants to separate from the ring gear. Aluminum isn't as strong, so theres more potential for the housing to crack or explode when the gears try to separate.

This was a common issue with the older Dakotas and Durangos which used the Dana 35 front axle. And tire size should be limited to 33s. By the 2000 model year Dodge replaced the Dana 35 for a slightly larger 8.0 corporate front differential, which should hold up to more torque, but the housing is still made out of aluminum and all gears do try to separate under load. So that potential for a crack is still there. I'd suggest you don't push the limits of your truck, if you off road the thing.

Ed
post #3 of 3 Old 06-20-2017, 03:48 AM
Turbojeep

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I did it, threw in a Detroit locker in while I was going into the axle.

I really liked the change, but it wasn't as noticeable as I expected. However, I was only on 30s and not 35s like you.

I love it one the highway, passing is a dream. Haven't had the chance to take it off road yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: