post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Floridahardcore

Vehicle: Durango
Modifications: Torsion and shackles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Opinions of tire set up.

I have an 03 4x4 durango. I have put 2 in shackles and 3 inch torsion keys. I am going to get 2 inch spacers, bump the rims to 17 inch, and put lt315/70/r17 on it. Wondering if it will even fit and if anyone else is funning this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Colin Quinn

If it helps I've got a 2000 dakota 4x4 3in keys and 3in body lift running 35's on 18's. I had to trim the bumper a hair. My opunion I think you should be fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170610_092357_1497853256127.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	101874  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM
RXT

Vehicle: 99 Dakota
Modifications: Quad Cab swap, Cummins swap, Solid axle swap
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

When you say 2" spacers, do you mean a 2" body lift?

In my opinion, the keys are a waste of time and money. Your independent front suspension is limited in both up and down travel. If you look closely at the suspension, you will see that there are rubber bump stops that limit the suspension's range of travel. When you lift up any truck with this type of suspension, all you're doing is altering the amount of up vs down travel in the suspension. In this case, the suspension won't be able to droop any more before the upper bump stops, tops out. With the limited range of motion your suspension has, you can easily crank the torsion bars on the factory keys to top out the suspension and in all honesty the max you should lift the suspension is an 1 1/2" to 2" which is below the amount of lift the keys promise. A 1 1/2" lift will provide you with a mild amount of lift, a little firmer ride and you'll have more useable down travel available (more droop) which helps to keep the tires planted to the road

The tire choice you selected measures out to about a 34.5 inch tall tire. For a Durango, this is pushing the limits of your front wheel bearings and front differential. Critical to this will be wheel offset. These bearing aren't very durable to begin with, if you select a rim with too much negative offset (dished rims), the force on the bearings is increased leverage and the bearings won't last more than about a year or two (If you're lucky) Also being from Florida, you will see lot of rain. These bearings aren't water proof despite being rated as "lubed for life". If your truck sees deep water occasionally, expect the bearings to fail within 6 months.

If you like taking the truck off road, keep in mind that the front differential is made out of aluminum and can be prone to cracking. Bigger tires require more torque to turn, greater torque tries to separate the ring and pinion gears, which creates the potential for cracking in the aluminum housing. Max tire size for a Durango is about a max of 33" or in P metric equivalent sizes;
305/65R17, 285/70R17, 275/70R17, 255/80R17 or 255/75R17

My suggested lift and tires size would be to crank the torsion bars about 1 1/2 to 2 inch max, shackle lift in the rear, add in a 3" body lift, and use tires to a max of 33".

Ed

Last edited by RXT; 06-19-2017 at 02:04 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Colin Quinn

I heard the same about the bearings and halfshafts whenever i was deciding on wheel and tire sizes. Since i do a whooole lot of driving all over the southern states (atleast 3000 a month) i was worried. Then i just said F*k it lol. Not to say that RXT is wrong, but i honeslty havent had one problem with bearings or halfshafts and its been almost 90,000 miles on the set up i have now. (with a new set of tires in between)
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 PM
RXT

Well Colin I can tell you this thru experience. I've owned my Dakota for well over 10 yrs. In that time I've put over 150K on it, and I've also had to replace about four sets of bearings. (I always do them in pairs) As I mentioned to the OP, critical to his rim choice is rim offset. Thats the amount of offset there is between the rim and mounting surface of the rim. Rims with negative offset (deep dish style) are hard on the bearings because the mass of the tire and rim are sticking further out from the vehicle and that creates leverage on the bearings which they aren't designed to handle. This is common to every vehicle thats equipped with unit bearings, not just Dodge. The factory rims have a positive offset. That means the mass of the tire & rim are more centered over the bearings and theoretically won't add quite as much leverage on them. I don't know what rims you have, but I know that I had pretty deep rims and only 32s on my truck….Of course there is probably another couple of contributing factors which your truck probably doesn't see, but the OP probably will if he lives up to his user handle and comes from Florida. First, we get a lot of rain and roads flood. Off road, theres a lot of mud. These bearings don't do water well. When water gets in, the grease is contaminated and the bearings are not long for this world. I can tell you by experience that you got about 6 months out of a set of bearings if the grease becomes contaminated. And the best thing to do was not get them wet in the first place. These bearings have no grease fittings or any other way to grease them. If they got water inside them, you had to replace them. As I mentioned I replaced about 4 sets, and I always did them in pairs. At $130 a pop, I got real tired of it and chose to do a solid axle swap.

Half shafts are not a real concern, so long as the rubber boots are intact.

Ed
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Floridahardcore

First off colin, WOW, i think that dakota looks kick ass on that wheel set up you have.

And Ed to answer your question im getting 2 inch adapters for my hub to rim.

In the end after reading this and doing a little further research here is what my end game will be.

I have the 2inch shackles in rear right now. I have 3 inch torsion keys in front cranked to max. I have reflex shocks all the way around and its a dang good ride. I will be putting 2 inch adapters, 6 lug 4.5 to 5 lug 5.5, on hubs because i am going to a 17" 5 lug ram 1500 wheel and i will be mounting lt285/70/r17 cooper discoverer rtx. I will also be putting a 3inch body lift on her once i have fixed front driver body mount, if anyone has a recomendation on where to purchase. Thanks guys.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM
RXT

The tire size you're looking at now is approximately 31"s, so they are a safe size. The next issue is rim offset. If you're going with 17" rims off a Ram the rims should have a positive offset, but the wheel adapters will push out the rims and add leverage on the bearings. In my original configuration, I had 32s on deep dish aluminum 15" American Racing rims. The bearings didn't like it too much, but I was able to get a set last me about four years, so long as I kept them out of the mud. The others….well lets say I love to go mudding and they didn't.

Anyway, I hated replacing bearings. So, I swapped out the front axle assembly and put tons under it and now it rides on 41.5" Pitbull Rockers….oh, and I stuck a Cummins in it too.
<-----(Just look there in my vehicle info)

As to the body mount. If you're talking about the metal support thats welded to the floorboard, just behind the front tire. This is a known rust out spot. If you look at the mount, it's right behind the tire, right where tire spray goes. Theres a rectangular hole where the spray can get into and that cavity will fill up with dirt and crud, and that will eventually lead to rusting. I had this problem on my Dakota, and eventually the mount failed. In my case, I decided to replace the entire cab as the rockers and part of the floor were also rusted out (The PO came from Michigan)

In your case, a body swap will be a bit more extensive as you'd be replacing an entire SUV body, if you went that route. As far as I know, there isn't a reproduction or replacement component. You might try someplace like Rock Auto, but I doubt you'll find what you need. The only other option is to cut out what you need from a wreck or fab a new one out of heavy gauge sheet steel. In any case, this will be a rather large job. You should also look at the opposite side and consider replacing that side as well because it won't be too far behind in condition.

And as a public service announcement to you and everyone reading this, if you want that mount to last longer, fill in that rectangular hole behind the front tire, to keep the crud out, especially if you live where the roads are salted during the winter. Maybe apply a coat of a rust inhibitor like POR15, Fluid Film, or even used oil.

Ed

Last edited by RXT; 06-20-2017 at 02:12 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Floridahardcore

Yes ed the off set from the ram rims is why i was getting 2 inch adapters. Upon calling them though they only make two piece ones and over 400$. Wow insane and what wear it would be on the geometry of the suv. So instead im purchasing some black rock matte black 17x9 4.5 back space 6lug 4.5 997796445. Well mesh better with the look im going for and less wear on my moving parts. Plus they look kick ass and not so stock. As for the body mount, my 03 sxt rango came from rhode island and is new to florida, so you can only imagine the rust build up on her under carriage. The driver side mount is completely gone from frame, sits one inch lower on driver side. Once i have wheels and tires on,i will post a pic before and then after the body lift. Thanks ed you were very helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: