Dakota Durango Forum banner

clockspring

11K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Burned 
#1 ·
so my clockspring is broke and i need one. does anyone have a clockspring i can buy from them. i am pretty sure no one does.

#2 ·
Good chance that if anyone took it out to put on an aftermarket steering wheel that the clockspring was junked once removed or broken trying to take it out. Really there is no need for it anyways as it's only function is to turn off your blinker switch once you make a turn- I turn mine off manually now- no big deal- Better then paying the dealer for a new one as it is a dealer only part

#3 ·
i think the clockspring does more than just control your blinkers. mine controls my air bag, cruise control and horn.

#5 ·
actually there is a horn its just a never-ending horn. in order to turn it off you have to unplug the relay in the front.

#6 ·
That sounds like the button is stuck.. When the clockspring ribbon breaks the circuits don't short, they open.

#7 ·
i am pretty sure it aint stuck. as soon as my clockspring broke it started going off. basically i was taking a left hit a bump and it pulled it more to the left and pop and horn. i had to pull over and get under the hood and pull the plugs to turn it off.

#9 ·
what about PL who is parting out his 01 R/T?

#10 ·
i have no clue who PL is. didnt know he was parting out his R/T. i know about the dealer wanting over 300 for it. i thought i had a heart attack when i heard that. then it was going to be about a 200 dollar install.

#11 ·
Check out the for sale thread. "5.9 R/T full part out"

His prices are gooooooood

#12 ·
$200 to change it?

There's like 2 screws to hold the airbag in and the bolt that holds the wheel in. The clockspring itself "snaps" in place. Then there are 2 electrical connectors.

Just make sure the steering wheel is straight when you remove it or put it in.

#13 ·
its the dealership. what do you expect? they are going to haggel everything they can out of what they do.

#22 ·
How many clocksprings?

My 01 Durango has 5 clocksprings according to my manual. the steering column has 17 switches. Some contain resistors to provide voltages that are sensed by logic circuits. And then there is that Central Timing Module the some of the switches talk to. And then there is the P1596 Code
Possible Causes:
(1) Speed control switch ground circuit open, clockspring to S/C switch.
(2) Speed control switch ground circuit open, PCM to clockspring.
(3) Clockspring signal/ground circuit open.
(4) S/C wiring harness observable problem.
(5) Speed control on/off switch.
(6) Speed control switch signal circuit open, PCM to clockspring.
(7) Speed control switch signal circuit open, clockspring to S/C switch.
(8) Speed control switch signal circuit shorted to voltage.
(9) Powertrain control module.

Jon

#15 ·
Broken wires in the column or under the dash?

The horn relay is tripped by the CTM for the alarm so the relay itself is good. It is also tripped by the horn switch.

Try this, under the steering column remove the cover so you can access the connector to the clockspring. Check for 12v on pin 3, the black with red tracer wire.

Power would be coming through the horn relay. You can ground that connection and the horn should sound.

#19 ·
yeah thats if you have radio controls on your steering wheel. i for one dont.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.