Dakota Durango Forum banner

Looking to do a tune-up

13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Rockin360RT 
#1 ·
I recently got a 2003 Dodge Dakota, its my first vehicle and it runs very good, although I need a tune-up. I asked a shop how much it would be and they said 118, now thats not bad I don't think but they said all it covers is the wires and spark plugs, my dad told me a basic tune up consists of wires, spark plugs, rotor, and distributor cap. I found a tune-up kit online and it was about 50-60 bucks, so I was thinking about attempting to do it myself, what I really need to know is is it hard to do a tune up? And does anyone know a website that can walk me through it, if I can save a bit of money and get the job done myself it would be alot better for me. Thanks for any help you can give, it is greatly appreciated!

-Zach

p.s my truck is a V6

#3 ·
I'd never recommend buying a kit. Just get a good set of wires, Autolite 3923 plugs, and a cap/rotor from Rock Auto/wherever you want. Like rt99three60 said, be sure you have the wires connected properly to the Cap. What I usually do is put the new cap next to the old one, and replace the wires one by one, to ensure I put every wire in the correct place.

#10 ·
Assuming it is a 3.9 Mag, this is a stupid easy job.

The only part that makes me start cussing is doing the cap/rotor..it's back behind the intake, and under the firewall lip..it's sort of a bitch, can't see much of shit..etc.

As far as the parts, I'd say go with Autolite 3923 regulars..no plat,double plat, none of that crazy shit. Go to Advance Auto or Napa, and get the cap/rotor with brass terminals, works better and doesn't wear out as fast. plug wires, whatever advance or napa's " top of the line" is, Bosch most likely.

While you're already under the hood, clean your throttle body real good, replace the PCV valve, check all your hoses etc..

And make sure you use anti-seize on the plug threads.

#13 ·
Not much power

I have a 99 dakota rt. Im new to it but from what i see from driving it.. Not worth the gas. 390km a tank and inless its wet it wont spin the tires and i have 235s on all around. what can i do to clean it up without loose alot of money? Its all stock other then a new cold air intake cone. Please help me out! Thanks

#16 ·
you're getting like 12mpg if you're saying it costs $100 to fill with gas at that price. if your truck has a clutch fan on it i always say to make sure it isn't seized up, seems to be a very common problem. i was throwing away a lot of gas because of mine. if you're beating on it all the time don't expect good mileage either.

#17 ·
How to find out what rear end is in?

Alright, got a full blown tune.. Exhaust.. Runs better but just doggin it of the start. people say there rt is crazy off the line and i cant even get a churp from the tires... I feel maybe the rear end? How can i check if the last owner put a different rear end in. VIN? Something like that or?.. Im hurtin boys help me out haha thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.