Dakota Durango Forum banner

2000 Durango power steering pulley hitting coolant tank

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  acorad 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The center of the power steering pulley on my 2000 Durango is hitting my coolant tank and wore a hole in it.

It doesn't touch the tank at idle, so the engine must be shifting forward when I'm driving it?

Any suggestions on what's going on?

Thanks,

Andy

#4 ·
Hi all,

I'm still trying to sort out this problem of the center of my water pump pulley hitting my coolant reservoir (and wearing a hole in it) on my 2000 Durango.

The protruding center of my water pump pulley (the center female part that is pressed onto the male shaft of the water pump) is only about 1/4" away from my coolant reservoir. So it only has to move forward about 1/4" before it hits the coolant reservoir.

Is that unusual? Could that be the problem?

Is the center of the water pump pulley on your Durango farther away from the coolant reservoir than 1/4"?

Thanks and please let me know!

Andy

#5 ·
Really the water pump pulley shouldnt be anywhere close to the coolant reservoir. Or do you still mean power steering pulley? Anyway you can take some pics and post them. Showing the gap, where it's rubbing and maybe a picture of how the reservoir is mounted to radiator.

#6 ·
Sorry, yes, the center of the power steering pump pulley (not the water pump pulley) is about 1/4" away from the coolant reservoir. It seems that the engine moves forward under braking or something and the center of the pulley hits the reservoir.

It's the 5.9 liter engine.

How far away from the reservoir is the center of the PS pump pulley in other 5.9 first-gen Durangos?

I'll see if I can post up some pics when I get to work.

Andy

#7 ·
Here is a photo (looking down from the top of the radiator/coolant tank) of the PS pump center and how close it is to the coolant reservoir.

As you can see the center of the PS pump is about 1/4" from the reservoir, and it chewed up the reservoir.

You can also see my temporary fix (JB Weld and a piece of a sawz-all blade) until I figure out what the problem is.

So, is my PS pump closer to the reservoir than on other Gen 1 5.9 Durangos? Or is this how close all of them are?

Andy

Attachments

#9 ·
I could take another one, so that I take the pic from the correct angle what are you looking for?

I could shoot a video too, if you like.

As far as my buddies and I can tell the shroud is mounted completely flush with its mounting brackets in the front, so it can't go any further forward.

Andy

#10 ·
I'd almost say it's got the wrong pulley on it.. That snout sticks out way farther than any I found pictures of in a quick search (mine is a 4.7, and the snout is flush with the front of the pulley as well).. There should be more clearance than that. But there's also no reason the drivetrain should be shifting forward that much..

#11 ·
Taz, I thought the same thing, but googling 2000 5.9 dodge Durango power steering pump pulley (https://www.google.com/search?q=200...+steering+pump+pulley&spd=7523248285443723259) all the pics have that nose on them.

And I can feel that the shaft of pump is even with the end of the pulley nose, so it seems like the correct pulley.

To your other point regarding the engine shifting forward, is the engine shifting forward 1/4"+ too much?

I'm completely ignorant of how much an engine should or should not move.

Andy

#12 ·
It's been years since I've paid much attention to a factory 2000+ shroud and how close it is to the front of engine. I removed mine right after I bought the truck when I installed an E-fan. Pic from side showing the whole shroud and clearance with front of motor. Maybe where it mounts to the radiator to make sure the shroud isn't loose there.

#13 ·
Maybe where it mounts to the radiator to make sure the shroud isn't loose there.
This.

I just looked at the new shroud I bought and it has a tab at the bottom that must slide into a slot on the top of the radiator to hold that skinny little leg in place.

I'll bet the genius (me) who replaced the busted rad a few months ago never saw that tab and never got it into the slot, or maybe even unknowingly busted it off.

If I don't post up again on this thread, that's what it was.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.