Dakota Durango Forum banner

Harsh / High RPM 1-2 Shift at light throttle

12K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  BPKOTA98 
#1 ·
My 98 Durango has a 3000 RPM harsh shift from 1-2 when I give it light gas. When I give it heavy gas, it still goes around 3000 RPM, but the shift is smooth. I have tried adjusting the TV cable, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Any ideas of what I could try?

I read about the front band adjustment, but I am unsure if I trust myself doing that.

Anything else I could try?

#2 ·
I have the same issue with mine... High RPM's before shifting out of first. Found out yesterday it was a broken band and band strut. When it was cold it shifted fine but once it warmed up it went from first to third.

#4 ·
They told me when they dropped the pan there was a tab from the band laying in the bottom. I've read on another forum people have found the strut laying in the pan. I was told the only way to find out forsure was to tear it down.

The shop called and let me know that my Durango is fixed. It was a broken band preventing it from shifting to second, was going right into third from first. A couple seals needed replaced and the band strut replaced. Pick it up this afternoon.

#5 ·
Yeah, I'm 99.99% sure I still go into second. I dropped my pan Sunday and didn't see anything inside but fluid.

I'll count the gears after work.

Does it go 1-2-3-4-TC Lock or 1-2-3-4(TC Lock). What I mean is, it has 4 gears and a "5th" gear of the TC locking up?

#7 ·
OD being the TC locking up, right?

Also, the Output sensor on the trans was just replaced with the fluid change. Threw a code from going 15mph or above. Forgot the exact numbers.

#9 ·
Yea, all shifts are working and all gears go in order. Its just that my 1-2 is delayed. I figure it's a band or TV cable adjustment. I'm just trying to find somebody who can do it for me since I don't trust myself with the bands. I tried the TV cable to no avail.

#10 ·
the transgo video shows one easy way to adjust your bands
does 98 have computer controlled shift points or the mechanical governor like mine?
do you have a 44re?
which engine
when answering your sig does not show:)
let's get those bands adjusted
done your oil and filter lately
ATF4+?
then we can revisit your TV, speed sensor and connections, etc

#11 ·
I believe it's mechanically controlled, but I'm not sure. Yes, I have the 44RE. 5.9L.
I changed the fluid with fresh ATF+4 and a new filter and basket. Right after, I got a CEL for the Speed Sensor not matching after 15 MPH. Forgot the code, just know what it was for. Swapped the sensor and it went away, but didn't make any difference in shifting. I tried adjusting the TV cable, and while I can feel it makes a difference, I don't know how to adjust it properly. I also want to get the front band adjusted. Probably hasn't been done in all its 200k life.

#12 ·
Transgo has an easy way to do the bands and cable
I'll look up what they are
the band drill is to rotate the driveshaft backward while tightening down the band adjuster till you can't turn it ( no torque wrench needed) then turning out so many turns- I just forget how many)

#14 ·
I'll have to check and see if the hand turn the driveshaft trick works with overdrives
I know it works with torqueflytes
be tomorrow night though
all driveshafts- actually the rear ends have some play
When it's New U-joint time
Use only genuine Dana- Spicers
I use the synthetic EP grease (which had not been invented when my truck was built)
but then I tow

#15 ·
Well, my transmission is going in for a rebuild on Monday. It's going to run me about $1400-$1500 he said, but maybe more if I want any kind of upgrades for towing or something (which I do). When I told him I wanted a shift kit, he said they have shift 'improver' and that its actually a good idea since they're good for towing things. I figure it'll be about $1600-$1700 total when it's done. He said it'll take about 4-5 days. :( It's gonna seem like forever with my truck, haha.

I'm making sure to pull all my crap out today as well as the headunit. I don't need them rummaging through my stuff or blasting my subs while they work. You never know what they do in there all day. If I saw a car come in with a nice setup, I think I'd be curious how well it sounds too. :p

#16 ·
Twwo scnerios
First is that your trans just needs a minor refresh
new bands and clutches, seals

Second is that it's full of metal, cooler plugged, thrust washer on the overdrive toast, needs new planateries etc

If number one just get it together, add a couple of clutches in the OD if the shell is grooved for the second snap ring etc

number two I would spring for a 46re core and build it.
For durability 46 beats 44 hands down- especially when towing
(I'm not talking class drag racing here)

IN any case no off bread "shift improver" kits
It's not to hard to improve the feel of shifts
what you are after is the increased coolant flow and durability mods in the Transgo reprogramming kit TF-OD
If the case is completely stripped open up the coolant passages
If your big OD spring is sagged get the transgo replacement
otherwise a GOOD stock spring works fine with the extra clutches installed
do check your cooler
They CAN NOT be successfully flushed
hint - that's why the new trans have a filter :)
If so either replace the in the radiator cooler or if you in a warm weather state bypass it

#17 ·
Well, I'm not rebuilding it, a shop is. So how they do it is how it'll be done really. I'll ask what brand and model this kit they suggested is and post here.

My cars engine is unknown too. Stock it was a 5.2 but the guy may have put the 5.9 is, as told by the dealer I got it from. I'm having the shop check the block to tell me what is is, and what transmission it is. If it was a swapped 360, he maybe have put the 46 in too, or left the 44 in, I haven't a clue.

Reverse is gone too, so I'm sure something went on it, seeing as reverse is a mechanical gear.

#18 ·
Well, I just checked another thread and saw that he had posted pictures of the pan gaskets for the 44 and 46. Well, mines the 44 then. http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71812

I wonder if I can saw mine for a 46 if they have any lying around. If not, is it not a good idea to rebuilt the 44, or will it be ok to tow? It's not going to be all the time, just on occasion to pull the boat and the camper.

#19 ·
It's your trans and your job and they will be happy to do what you want them to do
like I said-if your 44 is trashed where you are going to have to buy a lot of expensive hard parts then go 46
some 360 diplomats had 904's (they called them 998 or 999 as they had a couple of extra clutches and more planateries) so the front (non od) part of the trans works-
still not as durable as a 46
That's why they put 727's in slant six taxis and vans
If it turns out that you have a light duty 42-44 and you have a 360 and are towing...
just remember to take it easy on the shifts and make sure you are shifted before you get back into the gas
full power shifts, with the boat, going up hill are a no no

PS- loss of reverse can be the low/reverse Band or the strut
There are many levels of "Band" in a 904 based trans
narrow, wide, double wrapped
I have the double wrapped A-999 style in my 77 Pacer
do not know what is strongest in a 42-44 - ANYONE?

The transgo reprogramming kit- not the basic shift kit has "Back to LOW"
holds and shifts back to low for downhill braking
you want this if you are towing
again- they will put in any kit you want

#20 ·
Well, I know I have the 44 now. How does the 45 stack up with the 46 and 44? Like, is it more similar to the 44 or 46, and how? We have the 45 in our 02 4.7 and its worked fine for the same stuff I'd be doing. Just wondering if how similar to my 44

#21 ·
Well, $1898 later...

Needed new transmission case/housing. Mine was badly cracked. New torque converter, valve body kit, strengthened front and rear bands, reverse kit, and some other goodies. I'll post it all up when I get it back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.