Dakota Durango Forum banner

Parking lights come on with door open. Normal or problem?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dabroad 
#1 ·
I have an 02 dakota that I would love to disable the parking lights coming on anytime a door is open. First off, I don't even know if it's supposed to do that or if I got a problem! It has the key fob and it works. I've seen on the ford forum that some of them have that feature and can't disable it, is that the case here?

#2 ·
LOL they are definitely NOT supposed to do that. Either you have a bad ground somewhere (which would likely cause other issues) or a previous owner rigged it up to work like that.

The fob, is it factory or aftermarket?

Have you poked around under the dash? Is there any extra harnesses spliced in?

Is there an aftermarket alarm brain anywhere (even if you use factory fobs, doesn't mean there isn't an abandoned aftermarket system installed).

#3 ·
Thanks Taz. It's the factory fob and the truck was completely untouched when I got it. I hear a relay click under the driver side dash about every 10-15seconds which seems to restart the time because a can see the lights blip real quickly when that happens. I didn't think it was a Dodge thing because I never had it on any others but after seeing that Ford made it a feature on some of their trucks made me question myself. I read about a CTM or central timing module possibly going bad but like you said - you would think it would affect other stuff. The only other thing that doesn't work is the heater fan on the highest setting.
I'll dig around under there some more.

#5 ·
Update: everything untouched under the dash, no add ons anywhere. I noticed the dome light on also with the parking lights, normal with the door open right? But it didn't go off when shut. I also had the instrument cluster lights on. Pulled the parking light relay and they went out but inside lights stayed. Then I began getting squirrelly PW operation- sometimes work from driver switch, sometimes not. Sometimes work from their door switch, sometimes not. They all seem common to the CTM so I have one on order. I'll let you know what happens.

#6 ·
It ended up being the central timing module (some call it a body control module). I replaced it with another one with the same part # (to make sure everything was programmed just the same; IE- PW, PL, AT, 4wd) all works normal now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.