Dakota Durango Forum banner

What's a good easy engine swap for a 4.7L

104K views 73 replies 24 participants last post by  MrDurangoTn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm looking to replace a first Gen 4.7L out of a 2000 Durango. I've not found anyone local that will do the 5.7L swap. Is the 2000 5.9L RT swap an option or is any other swap with minimal wiring issues?

#63 ·
Just reading this:

Where will the aftermarket - and Mopar Performance - take the 287? There's already a supercharger setup from Performance West, and available through any Jeep dealer
. But less radical upgrades would seem to be quite easy. Revised, premium fuel calibration - more spark advance, and a tad more fuel in the form of a computer chip flash would seem to be almost a must. There's room for larger valves, the Mopar machine shops are probably already plotting how they'll re-contour and flow the heads; headers are almost guaranteed, along with a less restrictive air intake setup, and Crane or Comp Cams will surely have cams for it. In other words, we see no reason why this engine can't respond to all the usual hot rodding techniques, and then some. In fact, with such a bountiful set of basic ingredients, hot rodding this engine seems a natural.

God I wish

#64 ·
Just reading this:

God I wish
Yeah I got a laugh when I read that too. I mean why does it have any less potential than any other SOHC V-8? You aren't going to get a mass following on an untested engine/car/truck. Many people jumped on the Mustang platform who were previous GM and Chrysler owners because they are an easy platform to buy any Ford magazine and pick the combo to build for your target E.T. Want to run a 12.76 use these parts. Want to go 9.98 add these. Its too easy.:drive:

#66 ·
I'm looking at wanting to find a 4.7L replacement myself. I have a line on a cheap Durango, 2000 model, 4x4, 4.7L, engine is locked up tight. I just had my mechanic put a 318 in my wife's 4x2 Durango a couple months back and I like the 318 (we're averaging 18.575mpg over 8000 miles so far in mixed driving, it has enough power to cruise comfortably and get to 100-110 if needed, and it sounds awesome).

The truck I'm looking at is CLEAN, better shape than my wife's truck. Same color, same year, fewer miles, leather instead of cloth, but everything else is the same, except it's a 4.7L 4x4.

I can get another perfectly good used 318 engine installed, warrantied, 3 day turnaround, for about $1350. If it will WORK. If it WON'T work, then I have to spend roughly double that to get another 4.7L installed because they are in greater demand as a used engine.

I can buy the truck for $1200 cash. $2550 invested for a truck like this would be one HELL of a deal. $3900 not so much. We already have close to $3400 in the non-4x4, higher miles, cloth seat, no 3rd row one my wife is driving. I wouldn't spend that much again to do it again.

So back to the original question. CAN the 5.2L (318) engine be used in place of the 4.7L engine? I'm quite certain the computer would need exchanged as well, and I might possibly need the wiring harness from the donor truck since I'm sure sensors and such might have different connectors since the 4.7L is such a different engine. I'm sure the transmission will fit fine. The motor mounts should be the same. I might need to change radiator hoses. What about accessory brackets (PS-Alt-AC)? Do the exhaust pipes line up the same?

I'm sure there's SOMEONE who has put a 4.7L in place of a 5.2L. Just explain it to me in reverse :D

#67 ·
So back to the original question. CAN the 5.2L (318) engine be used in place of the 4.7L engine? I'm quite certain the computer would need exchanged as well, and I might possibly need the wiring harness from the donor truck since I'm sure sensors and such might have different connectors since the 4.7L is such a different engine. I'm sure the transmission will fit fine. The motor mounts should be the same. I might need to change radiator hoses. What about accessory brackets (PS-Alt-AC)? Do the exhaust pipes line up the same?

I'm sure there's SOMEONE who has put a 4.7L in place of a 5.2L. Just explain it to me in reverse :D
The transmission will not work, and like you mentioned, the wiring and PCM will not work. Also, the motor are not the same. You are much better off to replace the wrecked 4.7L with another one, as the 5.2L will end up costing you more.

#72 ·
Well that, in a word, sucks!

I'll make an offer on the '98 with a bad 360 motor instead! At least the real LA motors are cheaper. I don't like the cherry red color but it'll serve its purpose. And it should be cheaper being older.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.