Dakota Durango Forum banner

ODB II codes P0132, P0300, P0301, P0302

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Tiggeroni 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 engine that has 160,000 miles on it. I bought it with 155,000 miles on it. I drove it from Hugo Colorado to Apache Junction Arizona June 5-6 of this year. I had a lot of tools in the back of the truck and in a one axle box trailer that the truck was pulling. The truck made the trip with no problems. Problems started after about a month in Arizona.

Truck started and idled fine. After about 5 miles of freeway driving (65-70 mph) the truck would lose power and shift down when going over the rises at cross streets. When I would exit and stop at a light it would usually idle badly. After a short drive on city streets, the problem would usually clear up. Check engine light was on and OBD II codes were P0132 and pending P0300 and P0305. I replaced the plugs and plug wires and cleared the codes.

The problem persisted but the check engine light did not come on. The problem would not occur when driving on city streets, only when driving a few miles on the freeway. I replaced the coil, distributor cap and rotor.

I took it for a test drive out of town (65-70 mph). After about 10 miles and encountering small hills, the problem came back, losing power and shifting down when going over small hills. I stopped at the next crossover and it idled badly. It took a little time to get up to speed. The problem then went away, no more small hills. The check engine light was on again and this time the OBD II codes were P0132 and pending P0300, P0301, and P0303.

Is there something I should test or replace next or is it time to take it to a local mechanic or to the Dodge dealer?

See less See more
#2 ·
I couldn't remember what p0132 was so I looked it up. But sounds like your upstream o2 on bank one is failed. Most common scenario anyway. http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chrysler/3.9L-5.2L-5.9L/how-to-test-code-P0132-page-1 this was the first page I looked up and seemed pretty accurate.

Having a bad sensor could cause the misfires as well seeing as one of your codes is a random misfire.

I'm not sure on the v6 but if there are 2 upstream sensors I would replace both just going by how many miles you have and see how it goes.

You may have a rich condition as well. How did the plugs look when you took them out? But I would definitely start with the o2 sensor and related wiring.

Let us know whatcha find.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Old plugs looked fine, put in iridium plugs anyway.

Took it to the Dodge dealer. They replaced the O2 sensor. I test drove it and the problem seems to have gone away.

I have a second problem. Going from first to second and second to third, the engine revs up and shifts with a jerk. I checked the fluid level and it was high. Siphoned out enough to get it to the right level and it improved the problem. It does not rev as high before shifting and does not jerk as much when shifting. Any recommendations before I take it to a transmission shop?

#6 ·
Is it slipping at all before shifting or is it just shifting harder then you remember? If it's not slipping it sounds like the line pressure is high between shifts.

I could be wrong but I believe you you can adjust the shifts with the tv cable. Mine is adjusted where it shifts kinda firm and it does jerk a little. But it's better then the slipping I was getting before with the old trans

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
I'm having the same issue with the slip before shifting. No broken housing. What's the procedure for adjusting the tv cable?

Update: I found some info and adjusted the tv cable by removing the clip and pushing the cable housing back a few clicks and that seems to have solved my problems. It doesn't shift into third gear before I hit 20mph any more and no more slip or hesitation when shifting into 2nd and third gear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.