Dakota Durango Forum banner

The Holy Grail of Dakota Stalling Problems

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  aliciakeyse 
#1 ·
WHAT:

Vehicle either stalls / or nearly stalls at random times. Originally it would stall while slowing to a stop, it would drop to 200 rpm, surge up to 1200, and then free fall down to 0 and shut off. Other times it will do a near stall, and then do a loooong 200 to 1500 surge over and over for about 12 seconds.

WHEN:

This only occurs while the vehicle is at operating temperature. I have noticed that the weather beginning to cool down is slowing down the frequency of these stalls and surges. At first this only occured while slowing down. But now it also does it more.

-Slowing down but below 30mph foot off the throttle.
-While sitting in park in a random fashion.
-While sitting at a light in Drive.

While it is doing the surging, if I apply throttle it will rev higher but still cut out which just creates a longer heavier surge. HOWEVER if I really push it beyond 3000 rpm it will calm down and idle fine.

THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN REPLACED RECENTLY:

Throttle Position Sensor
NEW PCM
New Crankshaft Position Sensor
New Camshaft Position Sensor
New Relays
New Idle Air Control Valve
Battery has been tested and cleaned.

My father is a Ford Master Tech so we have been going at this for a while. There are times when it will be hard to get out of a subdivision because it's so bad. Then some days it won't do it at all.

Basically boiled it down to either a wiring problem or a bad new sensor. Thoughts and comments would be great. Based on the symptoms I don't personally feel it's a corroded wire or anything but I'm an idiot so what do I know. Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
I had a somewhat similar problem with stalling in my old ford ranger for a long time. Took it to countless shops but the problem was intermittent. Finally found it and it was loose wiring under the PDC. Most intermittent or "random" problems I have seen have been electrical/wiring. Strait pain in the ass to find those too, I feel the pain.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Eli

#8 ·
From the manual:

IDLEMODE
When the engine is at operating temperature, this
is a Closed Loop mode. At idle speed, the PCM
receives inputs from:
• Air conditioning select signal (if equipped)
• Air conditioning request signal (if equipped)
• Battery voltage
• Crankshaft position sensor
• Engine coolant temperature sensor
• Intake manifold air temperature sensor
• Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
• Throttle position sensor (TPS)
• Camshaft position sensor signal
• Battery voltage
• Park/neutral switch (gear indicator signal—auto.
trans. only)
• Oxygen sensors
Based on these inputs, the following occurs:
• Voltage is applied to the fuel injectors with the
ASD relay via the PCM. The PCM will then control
injection sequence and injector pulse width by turning the ground circuit to each individual injector on
and off.
• The PCM monitors the O2S sensor input and
adjusts air-fuel ratio by varying injector pulse width.
It also adjusts engine idle speed through the idle air
control (IAC) motor.
• The PCM adjusts ignition timing by increasing
and decreasing spark advance.

#9 ·
Recently had this same problem. It was stall under very specific situations. Usually at idle, right before I pulled into the garage. I pull up to the garage door, wait for the opener, give it a little gas then let up, and it would die. I took the IAC valve out and cleaned it up with carb cleaner, and cleaned out the throttle body with it out, and that fixed the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.