Dakota Durango Forum banner

1997 Upper control arm issues

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sarge1992 
#1 ·
Ok so I'm looking to replace my front end (among other things). I'm going to rebuild the lower control arms and just want to replace the uppers. For the life of me I can't find any listing for an upper control arm for my truck. It's a 1997 Dakota Sport Extended cab, 3.9L RWD. Just looking up pictures it looks like the left front from the 2000+ will fit both sides of my 1997. I will double check tomorrow but I'm fairly certain my right front upper control arm has the straight shaft, not the curved one.

Does this sound right to anyone? Can I order 2 of the left front control arms from a 2000 for my 1997? Rebuilding these is a pain in the ass so I'd like to just buy a whole Moog, Raybestos, or whatever unit if possible. Or if someone could point me in the direction of some part numbers that would be great.

#2 ·
I hope you're sitting down, and don't have a weak heart.

They're actually listed as available ... at $427.70 each!!

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com...y--Includes-All-Parts/4317209/05166340AA.html

I'd take those part numbers, and search Ebay and Amazon for possible suppliers.

Shucks, find a matching truck in the boneyard, and pick those up, then rebuild them at your leisure.

(For that price, I'd do a LOT of rebuilding. Well, yes, I did rebuild my 1988 ... )

RwP

#3 ·
Yea I said screw it and bought a rebuild kit, its weird because the OEM part number matches quite a few of the arms on ebay, but then those arms say not compatible on 1997-1999. Not like the trucks gonna be moving for a while, I just hate rebuilding those upper arms. Figure with the money I save I'll get a leveling kit for the truck.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello!

I don't know if this helps or not but since my Step-dad and I just spent 16 hrs this past weekend replacing almost the entire front end of my 2000 dak, I figured it might be relevant!

My step-dad ended up buying this kit off of rockauto that had many of the front end pieces included (The upper and lower control arms on both sides, tie rods.) So I would definitely recommend looking into that to see if it's still available. (I think this is it actually (382$): http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5735289&cc=1361797&jsn=407)

There's also a deal going on for shocks right now, it's through the manufacturer but you buy 4 shocks and you do a mail in rebate for a reimbursement equivalent to one of the shocks. I purchased all 4 of mine through advance auto for 175ish. I'm about to do the mail in rebate, don't toss the receipts or the serial numbers of the shocks!! I also went ahead and got new sway bar links (with the bushing kits) because while you're down there, you might as well replace it too.

If you have a lift like me, don't forget the coil compressor tool too. There are two different types through advance auto. Once that is meant to go up into the coil, and the other goes on the outside. Save yourself the headache/gas and make sure you get the right one!! We got the tool that went on the outside first but needed the one that went on the inside. You can rent these tools,

It was a longgggggggg day, but we did it ourselves and I have pretty much an entire new front end now. If you have any questions, i'll try to check back here or you can shoot me a pm!

Oh, and don't forget an alignment after!! It cost me 92$ to do it at my local Firestone.

Best of luck!

#5 ·
The 2000-2004 upper control arms are apparently different from the 1997-1999. I bought a full Moog bushing/ball joint kit instead and got a deal on ebay for 4 Monroe Magnum shocks for $125. I've got spring compressors, and do this work for a living. Alignment at my shop will run me $40 (employee discount). As far as tie rods, truck had a new rack when I bought it so I'm good for a while there.

#7 ·
Worst case scenario, I have a torch and an air chisel. Those bushings are coming out one way or another lol. But seeing as it's a Florida truck and 2 upper bushings are already gone, I don't suspect it to be too bad. I would prefer the ease of just installing new arms, but that's not really an option. I also will be installing a 2" leveling kit since I'll have everything apart.

#8 ·
Just an update for those wanting whole upper control arms for the 97-99 Dakotas, the upper bushings weren't cooperating with me so I took a chance and bought 2 drivers side upper control arms for a 2001 Dakota RWD at Advance Auto Parts, bolted right in for both sides. I found out that only the passenger side upper control arms changed in 2000+, but the drivers side stayed the same. The 97-99 Dakotas had interchangeable upper control arms.

So basically, if you want to buy bolt in uppers for your 97-99 Dakota RWD, order 2 drivers side for a 2001 or so Dakota RWD. Made my life easier and now I can rebuild the OEM uppers at my leisure to keep as spares.

For reference, I installed 2 Dorman 521-783 control arms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.