Dakota Durango Forum banner

Cams bad?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  hskrRT 
#1 ·
I took a trip out to the junkyard today to find a np231 tcase and stumbled upon a grand cherokee 2002 H.O.! Nabbed the intake and cams in the hour before closing so didnt havr much time to diddle. Anyway, upon removal i noticed the bearing journals on the cams looked a bit scored and felt toothy on my nail. I didnt want to pass up cams and took them anyway but now have to make sure they are or arent trustworthy....Im just not familiar enough to know better, so how flawless are the bearings supposed to be on these 4.7s? I have the bearing caps and cams on hand for pics and can snap some tomorrow but simply put is it unnacceptable to have grooves that can be slightly felt with a nail only (cant feel with fingertips)?

Mileage of jeep unknown, reason for scrapping unknow.

My truck has 145k on it if tolerances of swap matter. Again not familiar enough to know...

#3 ·
Drivers side cam. Rust looking areas are not pitted and wiped off with rag. Arethese unusable? Cam caps are at home, and the head is at the junkyard where i left it

Attachments

#4 ·
I think those could be cleaned up a little. It doesn't look like it had major oil starvation issues, more junk got into the engine such as dirt.
I would be more concerned about pitting, cracks, etc. on the lobes, as any major flaws are death sentence for any cams. These look decent, though I wonder about the discoloration on the lobes.

#5 ·
Didnt consider discoloration. The oil was a bit dark, no visible sludge in valve covers though. I havent cleaned the at all since removal just made sure the rusty spots werent pitted, it almost feels like heavy grease but has a grittiness to it.....not sand by anymeans but gritty none the less. Wouldnt the grooved bearings on the cam groove my heads too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.