Dakota Durango Forum banner

First Generation People. Where Are You?

61K views 171 replies 67 participants last post by  Bluemoon 
#1 ·
Now I know that there has to be more than just a few '87-'90 Dakota owners on here. Come on people let's get on here and at least announce what you have. Hell I got rid of my '98 Dakota R/T and ended up with a '89 Shelby Dakota even though it is slower. But I actually like this truck better. Let's get active on posting here. Later. :)

#2 ·
We're here, 89 Shelby also!! I drove a 2002 yesterday that we traded in (I have to fix the bedside, was hunting a bedside for it) and I didn't like that truck at all, great power, 4.7 5 speed but no room inside it...NONE!, I'm a 1st and 2nd Gen fan, like the flat sides and the interior room, I've got 2 of my wheels done and mounted on the Shelby, I'll post some pics in a day or so, they look killer! :cool:

#3 ·
Gen #1's.......

Yeah I have a few.....I'm hooked...... Was always a Mopar guy anyway.

G
#5 ·
New guy needs some help

I just got my 180,000 mile V6 90 short box Dakota painted today. Got it cheap last year. $1000 bucks. Its from Texas so there is no rust on it. (about 50 pounds of clay dirt!) Here in Minnesota no rust is a big deal since the roads are salted in the winter.
I shaved the door handles, put on a rear roll pan, and got a new windshield. It was complely stripped of the orignal paint (bad paint. Used a razor blade for most of it) repainted it the original white.
My plans are to get some steel satin black 17 inch rims and some thinner rubber. A new rear window. Dropped spindles; 2 inch if I can find some used ones. new grille. seats.....any good (inexpensive) Ideas would be appreciated
It may be a long time comming since I make under 19 thou a year and have a wive and two kids at home.
Anybody know how to clean up the engine compartment. I got rid of the smog pump and want to get rid of the air conditoner compressor. Any tricks?
And...where would I go to get new window trim? The Texas sun was hard on the orignal trim.
Thanks tons.
David

G
#6 ·
electrical problems

I'm new here so hopefully this is the place. anyway have a 1996 or 1998
Dakota that when the driver hits a bump just the air conditioning and radio
quit everything else works he says. could it be that groud connection in the
harness under the battery ? sounds like something loose or a faulty ingition
switch ??

thank you
Tom Smith

#10 ·
Gen I's Represent

I'm a very proud owner of a 87 Dakota LongBed, I've been all over the world with my truck, and I continue to make her look better than new. I posted pics of her in the RC topic board on here in the General topic section. Check her out and let me know what you all think.

Jay

#14 ·
LOL Im here just been real busy with my Gen 1

Well I started to build the motor for my Plum Crazy Gen 1

here are the parts as follows

1991 318

Comp Cam 20-243-4

Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 3,000-6,500 RPM
Intake Duration 050 inch Lift: 244
Exhaust Duration 050 inch Lift: 244
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 244 int./244 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 292
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 292
Advertised Duration: 292 int./292 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.501
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.501
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.501 int./0.501 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Crane Roller Timing Chain

Keith Black Pistons KB 399

Bore (in): 3.940
Piston Material: Hypereutectic aluminum
Piston Style: Flat
Compression Distance (in): 1.810
Dish Volume (cc): 5.0
Valve Reliefs: Two
Wrist Pin Style: Press fit or floating
Pin Diameter (in): 0.984
Top Ring Thickness: 5/64 in.
Second Ring Thickness: 5/64 in.
Oil Ring Thickness: 3/16 in

Compression Ratios with a 63cc head is 11.21
57-12.25
60-11.7
64-11.0
68-10.5

Eagle SIR I-Beam Connecting Rods
Connecting Rods, SIR 5140 I-Beam, Bushed, Mopar, Small Block LA

Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads
Cylinder Head, Performer RPM, Aluminum, Assembled, 63cc Chamber, 171cc Intake Runner, Mopar, Small Block,

Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds
Intake Manifold, Performer RPM Air Gap, Dual Plane, Aluminum, Natural, Square Bore, Chrysler, 318/ 340/ 360

MSD 6AL CD Ignitions
Ignition Box, MSD 6AL, Analog CD, with Rev Limiter

MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coils
Ignition Coil, Blaster 2

MSD Pro-Billet Distributors
Distributor

Holley Model 4150 Carburetors 750 cfm

Hooker Super Comp Headers

My Virtual Engine Dyno say this little combo is good for 417hp@5750 rpm and 419TQ@4250 rpm lets hope im this close. The quarter mile times are 12.27 @ 109.737

#17 ·
Here's my 88
18" 212s
roll pan, checkmate tonneau,
Daytona Buckets, handmade grill
mostly stock engine, K&N removed airbaffle,
Autolite plugs, upgraded cap/rotor/wires.
Had those memoimport clear taillights, until someone thought
it would be cool to smash the passenger side, so back to stockers.

Plan on bagging it soon, so I photochopped the pic to see
how it would look.

Rollin the longbox in Canada
Cheers

Attachments

#19 ·
gen 1 lvr

Hi. I am new to this site and enjoy it alot. I have a 94 club cab, 5.2 liter,cat back exhaust for some growl, am in the process of enginering a fresh air intake system for it. It is my daily driver with 230,000 kms. Still looks good no rust (good for Canadian truck) and runs very strong. Just picked up a 91 3.9 powered std cab long box for $500 for my 15 yr old son who is a big Dakota fan as well. He wants to learn how to wrench on vehicles and do basic repairs so I picked this truck up for him and and told him I will show him how to do most of the things that it needs.Then when he turns 16, takes driver training, gets his licence and keeps his grades up and has it to the point it will safety it`s his!

#22 ·
gdcpony said:
I traded a bow for my first 4x4. I hope it's worth it. I have allot to learn. Then again, it needs allot (too much to list). I would appreciate any help. As you can see I'm still in the tear down stage.
Holly SHTTZZZ!! Theres ALOT to do there! :banana2:

P.S. love the personal sig.... :clap2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.