Dakota Durango Forum banner

1999 - 3.9L No Oil pressure at warm idle

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ol' grouch 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just bought a 1999 Dakota Sport, 3.9L. Got it on the road and after 15 minutes of driving the oil pressure Gage went from 40psi to 0 as I came to a stop sign. The truck had been sitting for a few months when I bought it and the oil is a nasty nasty dark color. (was already planning to do an oil change when I got home). I've heard to change/clean the oil pressure sender and do an engine flush however I am wondering if the truck is ok to drive. The oil pressure shoots back up to 40 when I'm on the gas and only drops when I brake for a corner etc.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Any tips to getting the sender off without buying the special socket?

Thanks, Dusty

#5 ·
Agree with the manual gauge. It may just be the sending unit.

#8 ·
As mentioned before, but a manual gauge on it and see if it really is dropping pressure.

#9 ·
A lot depends on how many miles the engine has. If it's 100K or more, you may have worn bearings. Especially if the previous owner was slack about oil changes. Now, the original timing chains on a lot of Detroit iron had a plastic like coating so when you looked at it new, it was smooth as silk and quiet. The polymer gets old and comes apart. I've fished a bunch of this out of the oil pickup screen in the past.

Now is the time to check your engine's condition. What kind of shape is the timing chain in? If it's worn, replacing the timing chain will sometimes help a little. That could also be where the garbage in your pickup came from. While you have the pan down, replace the oil pump. You want a high VOLUME pump. This will compensate for worn bushings and bearings. DO NOT put a high pressure pump on it as it will blow your bearings out and shorten the life of your engine quick.

I'll bet a new pump will give you the 10 psi per 1000 rpm you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.