Dakota Durango Forum banner

4WD Locking up 2006 Dakota/ 4wd service light

33K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  LaVidasDak06 
#1 ·
I have seen this thread in earlier model Dakotas but I had the same problem with my 2006 4.7 ltr 4WD. As in earlier threads the 4wd service light was coming on. The system would shift into 4lo or hi on its own, even with the engine off. A reflash of the CCM was done with no results. It turns out from 05 & up there are a series of components that are tied into the TCCM/FCM. One of which is the A/C pressure switch. Mine had a code showing the A/C pressure switch had shorted out. The switch was disconnected and the problem went away for an hour, then the 4wd problem showed up again after about an hour of driving. This time the actual switch for the transfer case was faulty/ losing voltage. So in case any of you have this issue I hope this might help track down the problem. Nothing like Detroit engineering to put so many components in series, causing components down the line to fail. No wonder they lost most of the market!

#2 ·
I have a similar issue with my 2005 Dodge Dakota 4wd going into 4wd. It will make popping noises like it's going into 4wd even after it is turned off. It also will blink on the 4LO indicator at highway speeds. From other threads, I'm inclined to replace the FCM. Any thoughts or updates are appreciated.

#4 ·
See if you have any codes with your a/c. For whatever the reason the 4WD switch is down the line from the high pressure switch/sensor. It causes low voltage to the control module in the transfer case which causes the shifting in and out of 4WD. I eventually burned up the shift motor in my transfer case costing me more $$$$$. Take your truck to a shop that has a StarMobile scanner to check the codes.

#3 ·
i had a ram doing this like an 07. ended up diagnosing it to be the TIPM. and fyi, its CCN not CCM. :D

#6 ·
My issue was the high pressure switch. Now you will say what does that have to do with your 4WD but believe or not the switch for the 4WD is down the line electrically from the high pressure switch. The electric switch for the 4WD system needs voltage above 5 volts or close to that. When the a/c high pressure switch on mine started to have issues it caused a low voltage issue with the 4WD switch. My switch for the 4WD burned itself out due to the excessive shifting and eventually got stuck in 4WD. Take your truck to a shop that has a star mobile diagnostic computer. Make sure their Chrysler programming is up to date. It costs a shop quite a bit of money to keep the software updated for Chrysler products so shop around. Many shops in my area do not have the correct diagnostic computer for Chrysler products due to the costs.

#7 ·
just an update incase anyone else comes across this same problem and finds this thread. After removing fuses (Which caused my instrument panel and computer to develop different mileage readings) and Disconnecting my A/C Switch the problem would still continue. We finally decided to replace the 4wd shift motor and the problem has been gone ever sense, its been about 2 months. We got a used Shift motor so the problem might return but so far all is well....

#8 · (Edited)
My 2006 Dakota has the exact same symptoms as described here. About 5 days ago it started shifting itself into 4 wheel drive by itself randomly. Additionally during the 2 years I've had it, it would never go into 4Lo, which I ignored because I only use 4Lock. Could someone post instructions on how to change the A/C Pressure Switch and also Instructions on how to change the 4 Wheel drive switch?

Also for the time being I would like to disconnect the wires behind the 4 wheel drive switch so that it cannot shift into 4 wheel while I'm driving. Not sure the proper way to pull back the instrument panel. I did look for a fuse for 4 wheel drive and could not find one. Advice would be appreciated.

#10 ·
Have Dodge Dakota 2005 Quad cab 4WD 6cylinders
Have a similar problem with the 4WD light.

Started a couple of months ago. It would flash on the dashboard, stay on few minutes then go away.
After two weeks I noticed the 4WD shifting on its own even after the truck has been parked for few hours.
Seems that opening the door to retrieve something triggered it. Any of the 4 doors.
A week later it started shifting into 4WD on the FWY, I would pull over, shut the truck off then restart before I can drive again.
To stop the shifting I pulled fuse #40 out of the box, that did the trick, been driving it like that for about a month.

With the fuse out, it does not shift but the light comes on after driving 1/2 hour or so. It stays on until I stop and park.
The next time I get in, the light would be off, goes 1/2 hour driving then the light pops back on. No shifting just the light.

I disconnected the A/C switch, still did it's thing.
I tried to replace the transfer case shift motor but could not take it out of position unless the engine main bracket is taken out.
Believe me, not an easy task. Extremely poor design so I gave up on changing it.

Now, after reading many posts I'm beginning to think it's the FCM (front control module), mounted onto the fuse box.
Dealer wants $800 to replace it.

My question is: Can the FCM be replaced by me?
Does it need re-flashing?
Any help, advise or information is appreciated.

#11 ·
Have Dodge Dakota 2005 Quad cab 4WD 6cylinders
Have a similar problem with the 4WD light.

Started a couple of months ago. It would flash on the dashboard, stay on few minutes then go away.
After two weeks I noticed the 4WD shifting on its own even after the truck has been parked for few hours.
Seems that opening the door to retrieve something triggered it. Any of the 4 doors.
A week later it started shifting into 4WD on the FWY, I would pull over, shut the truck off then restart before I can drive again.
To stop the shifting I pulled fuse #40 out of the box, that did the trick, been driving it like that for about a month.

With the fuse out, it does not shift but the light comes on after driving 1/2 hour or so. It stays on until I stop and park.
The next time I get in, the light would be off, goes 1/2 hour driving then the light pops back on. No shifting just the light.

I disconnected the A/C switch, still did it's thing.
I tried to replace the transfer case shift motor but could not take it out of position unless the engine main bracket is taken out.
Believe me, not an easy task. Extremely poor design so I gave up on changing it.

Now, after reading many posts I'm beginning to think it's the FCM (front control module), mounted onto the fuse box.
Dealer wants $800 to replace it.

My question is: Can the FCM be replaced by me?
Does it need re-flashing?
Any help, advise or information is appreciated.
Whatever happened with this? My 2006 Dakota is doing the same thing.

#12 ·
So when we first bought our 06 Dakota 4x4 4.7lt H.O., we started having the same issues with the 4wd motor switching on and off by itself, luckily the truck was still under warranty and they finally found after replacing even the transfer case itself that it was just the switch motor itself. Once replaced the problem went away and hasn't come back until just recently, originally fixed under warranty in beginning of 2015, so it was fine for 6 years. So Temporarily I will take the transfer case relay out once again and I will replace the shift motor again to get hopefully a longer time repaired from it, however I am going to be very careful about not just buying the cheapest shift motor out there and I will also open up my replaced one to inspect what exactly went bad on it so that I can hopefully find a way to make the replacement one last permanently. So those of you going through this same problem, STOP throwing money away on all the so called fixes out there, and shame on mechanics who put customers through such a costly job with no integrity in their work and not fixing the real problem. I will be posting videos on this on a YouTube video page as soon as I set one up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.