Dakota Durango Forum banner

Replacement ball joint torque spec?

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  addicted2blue00 
#1 ·
I have a '98 Durango that needs upper ball joints. I picked up some locally (would have ordered Moogs, but don't have time to wait for an order right now). Anyway, what should I torque the bolts that attach the ball joint to the control arm? I only have the Haynes manual which says the ball joints can't be replaced and the whole arm must be replaced as a unit, so no torque spec there. And no data came with the replacements. I searched and found mention of 60 lbft in another thread, but they were talking about the lower ball joint - but I thought it pressed in anyway though.

Thanks!

#2 ·
best bet is to torque the fasteners using a torque chart for the size bolts. 60 sounds about right IIRC. when i re did my BJ`s last summer that is wht i used. if ya dotn get any better answers by Tuesday, let me know what size bolts they are(head size) and ill double check my charts at work.

you can replace just the BJ`s but for some reason seeing as they are RIVETED in, the service manual says its FASTER to replace the whole arm(read= $$$)

ya gotta cut off/drill out the rivets and use the suppied fasteners if ya just replace the BJ`s

#3 ·
all i can say is have fun and be ready to spend at least half a day doin it if ya never have. it took me 1 1/2 days but only cuz i swapped the springs -dropped- and replaced upper and lower, word of advice, air chisel would really be a must to be quicker and have ear plugs, i just tighted the bolts to the arms tight as i could, castle nut only enough to slip the pin in, and make sure you bend up the pin so it doesnt think about comin out. and if ya need brakes or wanna drop it or so now is a good time. heres a good way to get the rivets out, 2 ways or so. chisel the top heads off, change chisel head, chisel the center of the rivet, if it doesnt wanna come out then drill the center of the rivets out either half way or all the way, make sure ur bit is SHARP! or your wasting time, then try chiseling the center again or the bottom of the rivet to get whats left out, once all 3 are off itlls just fall off, also have it checked to see if you tierod ends -outer- could be bad cuz of the BJs goin out, they are easy to change out if so - took me 15 mins-. the air chisel will be your best friend, if ya got any questions pm me ill be glad to help. once your done think how hard those 6 rivets were, then think of the 30 i did to drop mine :biggthump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.