Dakota Durango Forum banner

Rear Main Seal

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Ryan Scott 
#1 ·
After all the bad luck ive been having lately here is some more on top of it. I just got done changing my oil and while I was under the truck I notice a bead of oil along where the engine mates to the tranny... looks like my truck is going to need a new rear main seal now. Its a very slow leak so it will have to wait till this winter cause I got too much other shit to deal with.

#5 ·
hope ya didnt get it confused with trans fluid....

sux tho.... PITA (and wallet)to change that seal....

#8 ·
Ok guys, Im new on here cause I just recently purchased a Dodge Dakota. It is a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7L in it. It is a 5spd 2wd and runs like a bat out of hell. But now here is the problem. Ever since i got this truck theres been a powersteering leak. Not to worried about that because I know the where abouts and how to change everything that goes a long with changing that. Anyways, I now have a Bigger problem... The other night I was out just cruising around and started to smell burning oil.. It was late at night so i just crept it home and let it sit over night. Well... After getting underneath it i realized everything from the back of the motor all the way to the axle is COATED in oil. I've been told that it is the rear main. How do I replace that? Need help ASAP!!! please and thank you in advance...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.