Dakota Durango Forum banner

ATF+4 vs. Mercon V

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Brian L 
#1 ·
Hey Guys-

I just had my transmission rebuilt on my 2004 Dodge Dakota 4WD. Actually, it was rebuilt for the 2nd time in a year (under warranty) because the shift solenoid started acting up on me after the 1st rebuild. Anyhow, I got it home yesterday, and then noticed a bunch of empty quarts of Valvoline Mercon V in the bed of my truck. Kind of trashy for them to throw them in there and leave them, but that wasn't my first thought - my transmission calls for ATF+4. Should I be concerned that the shop put Mercon V in there instead?

Thanks,
Brian

#2 ·
So, I'm afraid this is even worse than I thought. I checked those quarts again - it actually says "ATF" - "Recommended for use in Mercon V Applications"

Why is so hard to get proper service for a vehicle? Do I need to take it back?

#4 ·
The damage may already be done and he will need to take it back for them to repair it on their dime. If they refuse, lawyer up because they should know about different brands using fluids spec.'ed to their vehicles and cross filling from outside of the manufacturers specifications can cause these problems.
The fact they filled it with Mercon V which is not compatible at all to ATF +4 means the shop is run by a bunch of dipshits. Main reason I try to do most of my own maintenance.

#5 ·
The fact they filled it with Mercon V which is not compatible at all to ATF +4 means the shop is run by a bunch of dipshits. Main reason I try to do most of my own maintenance.
Yea, I do all of my own maintenance, but this was a transmission rebuild, which I'm not touching. This is kind of a long story, so I won't tell the whole thing, but this shop actually subbed out this work to another shop, so at this point, I don't even know who did it. I called yesterday to explain to my shop that subbed it out the situation (empty quarts of wrong fluid in truck), and he says "that doesn't make sense - let me call you right back." About five hours pass without a call back, so I called back. The receptionist puts me on hold, comes back and says "Rick says to bring it in Monday - there must be a defective part." What?!! I have no idea what they hell that means, but I'm taking it back.

I crawled under there this morning to inspect some more and find that there's oily dirt caked all over one side of the pan and transmission, to the point that one of the bolts itself it surrounded by dirt. Now, if that's their idea of a rebuild, then they need to be put out of business. Something shady is going on here. I'm starting to wonder if this is even my transmission that got put back in there. It's either not mine, or they set the freaking transmission down in the dirt before lifting it up into place. So, not only do I have either a dirty transmission that might not even be mine, but they put the wrong freaking fluid in it. Either this Rick guy is taking me for a ride, or the shop he subbed it to is taking us both for a ride. He must know something is up, which is why he didn't call me back right away. I think they might have broke something in mine and went and found a junker or donor. This is not good.

I'm going to give him hell when I get there Monday morning. Unbelievable.

#6 ·
I had to do the same thing with my 03 Neon back in 2011. I sent the car to the dealer but they too subcontracted the rebuild out to a local transmission shop. I doubt the shop filled the trans at their shop and the dealer filled the trans when they finished installing it.
The shop that you sent the truck to first filled the trans with the wrong fluid and are trying to cover it up. The fact that the trans is covered in dirt after a rebuild sounds like the subbed shop wasn't even involved or they screwed up and did not torque down the pan correctly.
If you are going to confront them, do it right and don't be threatening like say you are going to kick their asses. Tell them they used the wrong fluid and this rebuild looks like it was done wrong. If they refuse to honor their own warranty/work, then leave and come back with your lawyer and have him discuss the laws with them then.

#7 ·
I had to do the same thing with my 03 Neon back in 2011. I sent the car to the dealer but they too subcontracted the rebuild out to a local transmission shop. I doubt the shop filled the trans at their shop and the dealer filled the trans when they finished installing it.
The shop that you sent the truck to first filled the trans with the wrong fluid and are trying to cover it up. The fact that the trans is covered in dirt after a rebuild sounds like the subbed shop wasn't even involved or they screwed up and did not torque down the pan correctly.
If you are going to confront them, do it right and don't be threatening like say you are going to kick their asses. Tell them they used the wrong fluid and this rebuild looks like it was done wrong. If they refuse to honor their own warranty/work, then leave and come back with your lawyer and have him discuss the laws with them then.
Thanks for the input. I don't intend to make a big scene. I'll tell him that he needs to straighten this out and do it right; flush the old fluid out, replace the filters again, and put the right fluid it. When it's done, I want him to show me the two old filters and the empty quarts of ATF+4. I'll also ask for a new warranty, which he didn't give me when I picked it up. I assume the shop he subbed it to would have another warranty provided on this latest rebuild. I also want an explanation for the dirt that's caked on there.

I hadn't considered that his shop would have been the one that filled it with fluid, but that might explain something else that was weird. When he first called me to tell me it was done and ready for pickup, he said there's no charge for the rebuild under warranty but that I do need to cover the cost of towing. I said "Why was it towed? I drove it in there." He said "Oh wait, is this your towing bill....nope, nevermind, forget what I said." So, is it possible that they towed it back to his shop for him to finish the job and he realized at the last second that it wasn't appropriate to charge me for that? IDK....maybe that was just a strange coincidence. Once this is all over with, I don't plan on ever taking a vehicle back to this guy, that's for sure.

Thanks,
Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.