Dakota Durango Forum banner

Roller Rockers worth it?

19K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Shimrra 
#1 ·
Can someone help me out and tell me if r.r.s are worth putting in my 318? would i need 1.6 or 1.7? dont know much about these, someone educate me haha thanks

#2 · (Edited)
First off, you're motor already has 1.6 rockers. They're not rollers. When I had my 99 5.2 motor and bolted on Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers, there was a substantial performance gain. Some say a gain of 10/20 horsepower. It makes the motor think it has a higher lift cam when it's the rockers doing the work. Get a set. You wont be disappointed.

#3 ·
if you feel like cheaping out, go to a dealership and pick up some stock rocker arms for a viper. if i remember correctly, you want a set from a 1993. a set of 16 is a little under $100, and they are a direct swap with the stock arms. they are a 1.7 ratio, but they are not roller type.

#9 ·
All I here is good things about them. About two more weeks now until I get mine.

#16 ·
damn well i gotta see how much money i start getting soon for my birthday. rocker rollers> new mattress. But I'll look around for some mopar ones or maybe some cheaper ebay ones...

#21 ·
Roller rockers are worth 10 to 12 hp over the same ratio non-roller rockers due to less friction. These are dyno proven numbers. So if you go from a 1.6 stock rocker to a roller 1.7 expect to pick up a few more due to power increase from the increased air flow from the added lift.

#22 ·
Are roller rockers worth it? Depends. If you guys think that you'll get automatic gains with the addition of them then the answer is no. The ONLY test is at the track on the same day. Recently I swapped a set of stockers for a set of nice crower 1.7's. Same day with a handfull of passes on each the difference was less than .05 and .4mph,at best. 20hp? Not in this case. I'd like to try a set of 1.5 or 1.6 exhaust rockers on this combo,but It won't happen anytime soon.

#23 ·
You made passes on the same day before and after the swap? Did you even let your pcm relearn?

#30 ·
Oh I see, that's why you have to quote. Then it won't go away and confuse things :jester:

#35 ·
that's right dude! Don't let it get smart! That way it can't learn to fight us when they try to take over

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.