Dakota Durango Forum banner

This can't be right? 4.7

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SynRG 
#1 ·
I've had this Dakota for about 2 months now and I cannot get over how bad the gas mileage is. This is my 4th Dakota, I've had a 92 5.2 4x4, 95 5.2 4x4, 02 4.7 2wd, and now this 05 Club cab 4.7 with full time AWD. I got 22 mpg hwy with all of them, and usually around 17-18 city. With this I am lucky to get better than 11 city, and barely 16 hwy. It has a 22 gallon tank and I am lucky if I make it 200 miles on a tank. Gas light comes on around 170. Always the same whether 87,89,92 octane and always light throttle driving like an old lady.

If I was driving a full size ram this would make sense but in a Dakota? The truck itself is in great condition and i recently just got it back from my mechanic. All they can find is a slight crankshaft seal leak and a power steering pump leak, and both those are always checked and correct.

I've read the other threads on fuel mileage and some people are getting 250-400 on a tank?? Are you kidding me? I'd be happy just to comfortably get to 200!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
This.

#9 ·
That's what I was going to ask next, if the O2 sensors could be bad without a code. Thanks!

I've also decided to go with a magnaflow muffler for now to replace my rusting whistling stock muffler. Any recommendations for a size? I know the longer it is the more mellow it is. I don't want a loud obnoxious "look at me" exhaust right now. Maybe 10 years ago (I had a thing for flowmaster back then). I was planning to leave the resonators on for now, and just replace the muffler. Maybe further down the road install a full cat back or headers but not wanting to to drop $650 on a magnaflow system right now.

#10 ·
If your staying stock the best muffler you can buy is a thrush 3 chamber muffler from autozone for $31 out the door. 2.5 inlet/outlet. Cheap, long lasting, mellow tone with out the drone.

Your MPG should be in the 14-17 range under normal conditions. Assuming the truck is close to stock. Conservative driving may get you close to 18 on the highway but I wouldn't expect a hole lot more.

Dakotas typically get slightly better MPG then Rams because they are a little smaller and are not as heavy. Consider the fact Dakotas use many of the same drive train components this makes sense.

#11 ·
Ended up going with a magnaflow muffler which i bought separate, and then had a local performance shop build me a cat back system and it sounds great! Total out of pocket $340 installed, instead of $700 for a full magnaflow cat back system before installation.

Definitely happy with the sound and tone but feels like I lost a little bit of power. City gas mileage didn't change but freeway seems to have increased drasticly. Still have many other issues with this damn truck so on to the next project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.