Dakota Durango Forum banner

disc brakes

8K views 59 replies 8 participants last post by  casias 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the rear disc brake set up from '03 Durango's can be unbolted and bolted to a '98 drum rear end? I came across a good deal on one, but it has different gears than mine. I've had problems with my drum brakes for as long as I've owned it (6+yrs) and I'm tired of them. Also, I've been a member of this forum since then too, but lost my old log-in and had to start over thru Facebook.

#2 ·
They will bolt on I believe but most just swap axles. I am sure this question has been asked before, so try the search function.
I hear ya on wanting disc brakes all around. My 03 Neon had the rear drums and I hated working on them because of all the small parts you had to use to get them to work right and not lose your brakes. As soon as a deal came up on a set of rear disc brake setup, I grabbed that up and put it on the car along with a set of EBC rotors and ceramic pads. Boy, was that a night and day difference. I went from a spongy feel to rock hard, almost twitchy feel because the brakes would bite harder than before but I didn't mind. I would wholehearted agree with anyone doing this swap, because there is a difference in brake feel between the two.

#3 ·
I would just swap the axles but the one I found has 3.55 gears and mine is 3.92. I guess I could have the gear sets swapped, but then I'd be in that for as much as the SSCB brake kit. Decisions, decisions. But really the main reason for wanting to swap is that no matter what I replace I always end up with a squeak or a pulsating pedal.I've adjusted them, replaced wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware (several times) I even replaced the axle shafts a few years ago because we thought they were bent. So im at a loss. Any suggestions with that problem anybody? Thanks.

#4 ·
The factory rear disc will not "bolt on", the mounting flange for the drum backing plate and the disc caliper bracket are in different locations. The rear will swap but the shock mounts are different as is the driveshaft connection, the early Dakota/Durango uses a pinion yoke, the later uses a two piece pinion flange, that can be swapped.

#6 ·
I grew up being used to rear drum brakes on almost everything. I learned how to change them properly and how to set them up. There is nothing wrong with them. Are pads easier to change than shoes? Well sure, but having to change some rear shoes isn't the end of the world. With the amount of braking force the rear wheels give you "upgrading" to discs isn't even gonna give you a difference that you will notice. Sorry, I just fail to see the point of all the effort people go to to swap their rear brakes. Probably 10 times more effort than they will spend changing brakes shoes for their personal car in a lifetime.

My 2 cents.

#13 ·
While I agree doing a rear disc conversion without also uogrsdi g front brakes at same.time isn't the best option, it is worthwhile. And it's not much "effort" if you do the 2003-2004 4-wheel disc upgrade on the older trucks. For the 03-04 guys, its easier to "upgrade" since the mounting for the disc brakes is a better starting point than the older brakes.

#14 ·
It's not just the effort of bolting them on the truck. How about the time and money spent sourcing the parts out. Trips to the wreckers laying on your back in the mud to remove them, especially if you need the whole axle. Even more headaches if it has the wrong gear ratio. Look at it this way, what percentage of braking force does the rear axle contribute? I would say 30% is VERY generous. Now how much of a improvement are the disc brakes going to be? 10%? So basically you increase your overall braking force by 3% I highly doubt you would even notice that. Listen to what the guy in this video says about rear disc upgrades...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECjMbkRjVzE&feature=youtu.be&t=329

#16 · (Edited)
because it's faster to assemble and therefore cheaper

Furthermore I disagree that looks do not play a factor. It's a sales thing, they know guys like will get a woody seeing all the latest features on the latest truck. Dodge, Ford and Chevy are always trying to "one up" each other. More power, better towing capability, ect. I mean really, why the hell does anybody need a pickup truck to pull 30,000+ lbs?? Just buy a "real" truck already!

#31 · (Edited)
I didn't realize this was going to turn into such a debate. Honestly I am wanting to go to discs because the drum brakes have been so much trouble over the years. They constantly chirp and make other noise, then they warp like clockwork every 6-8 months. I know a drum is actually more effective braking but I'm just so tired of messing with and spending $ on them. I've already changed the wheel cylinders twice, the shoes and drums on multiple occasions and the hardware. I just put a brake hose on too. All of this and it still chirps and shakes when stopping, and I also just did front brakes as well. I'm just done with them, unless someone has any other suggestion.

#36 ·
I didn't read the whole argument, but I vote from rear disc conversion. I have done several on the Dakota/Durango. The increased stopping power with only the rear disc conversion and no other changes to the braking system is nothing less than amazing. Don't even get me stated on the delay of braking, chirping, grabbing and maintenance of drum brakes. Just get discs, you will be glad you did.

I kept the original combo valve in every instance, only adding the rear discs. That's it.

#38 ·
I have done several on the Dakota/Durango. The increased stopping power with only the rear disc conversion and no other changes to the braking system is nothing less than amazing.
The fact that you would even entertain the idea of swapping rear discs and not even consider changing those crappy, grossly undersized front brakes makes your argument lose all credibility in my eyes.

DOT has been pushing to upgrade heavy truck brakes to disc brakes for a number of years.
Must be because they want to keep all those trucks from smashing off to the runaway lanes. LOL

#54 ·
Most stuff outside of routine maintenance is unnecessary. Putting anything other than stock replacement parts on your truck is unnecessary. Doesn't mean it won't help, or we don't want to do something other than stock. You can NOT argue that a rear disc swap makes absolutely zero improvement in braking. If you do then it's a lost cause trying to reason/argue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.