Dakota Durango Forum banner

some kind of squeel

6K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  70Roadrunner 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 club cab with an unusual problem. When it gets cold out there is a high pitched squeel that i cant pin point where it is coming from. i cant make it do it ether like its not a certain rpm range or speed or the radio or the heater or the fan. I was just wondering if any one has had this happen to them before its got a 3.9 and is standard if that makes differance. thanks

#3 ·
Cheeked that it dosent sound like a belt squeel. I'm not shore how to explain the sound but it only dose it when the truck is moving. Sometimes it will only happen once sometimes it will do it all the time. sometimes it will stop when i let off the throttle and sometimes it will stop when i step on the trottle its realy weird. I have never been a vehicle that has made this noise.

#6 ·
I know the noise your talking aout. It sounds like a whistling noise. It is very sparatic and not rpm specific. It sounds like it comes from the dash , cowl or firewall area. I just turn up the radio to drown it out, but it usually stops before I get the chance to adjust the radio.

#8 ·
I have the same issue on my 01. The intemittent whistle that comes once ion a blue moon then disappears as suddenly as it comes. I have noticed mine mostly when traveling around 55-65 on the highway. Been doing it for the last 5-6 years. I checked the wheel bearings as that is what It hought. I also checked the brakes, suspension etc. SO far I have found nothing and there are no issues, so My guess is it is a quirk with the 2001 Dakotas with the V6.

#10 ·
that sounds more like rear diff noise and not related here. mine does the same thing between 50-60mph and that's what it is. it's a rear whine or whirling hum and not a whistling or squeel.

i have noticed that my TB now whistles ever since i cleaned it a few months ago and changes pitch as i move the pedal.

#9 ·
My truck has done that before. It only happens right after a cold start and going down the road. When I heard the high pitched whistling noise it went away the instant I give it some throttle or let off. Cant remember if it was specific to being cold outside, its only done this 3 or 4 times since I bought it a year and a half ago.

#12 ·
My 02 does it, it has to be cold. And it has done it as low as 35 mph. Sometimes it lasts 1-2 sec, other times almost 1 min. If you have ever been in a vihicle that seals up real tight and you get a whistle and need to crack the window for it to go away, that is the same sound.

#13 ·
I have searched the net for a couple hours and there are numerous posts on other forums but no one seems to know what this is. My 01 does it too. It gets very loud sometimes. Anyone that has heard this noise can tell it is definately not a belt or bearing. When mine does it i move the pedal a little in and out and you can kinda control it almost like a musical instrument lol.

#14 ·
The Belt Tensioner was the culprit on my 2002, and the Fan clutch does it on my 4x4 occassionally...

what your describing sounds more like the Belt tensioner needs replaced...

#16 ·
Guys I'll bet you're hearing the throttlebody suck air and not a brg noise.
The giveaway is it only happens when its cold and the truck is cold right?
My 99RT had the Mopar open element air cleaner and in the winter sounded like my Grand National with the turbo inlet hose off ( which I liked anyway:mullet:) untill it warmed up. When its cold out and the trucks cold the IAC motor is almost in all the way to richen the mixture and the passage becomes small so the air speed to it increases and you get the whistle/vacuum sound.
I heard that sound everyday in my bay and then at my desk so its easy to ID. Its normal and if you want to make sure thats what it is, take the air cleaner off when its cold before you start it on a cold morn you'll find out in a second.
Hope this helps as many as possible on this thread

#18 ·
Its not only when the truck is cold, but only when its cold out. If i jump on the interstate to go to class which is an hour from my house. Some days it will do it a half hour after ive been on the interstate. and the truck is at operating temp.
I now have an open air intake on the truck, but it did it when i had the stock air box on it with a k and n filter. and with the stock style paper filter.
I have thought it had something to do with the intake or throttle body but not sure.

#19 ·
When's the last time you cleaned the throttle body? If the truck's warm and it still does it, that's a good sign the body is dirty.

Time to get the carb cleaner and the old toothbrush out. Its important to clean the bottom edge of the plate and the IAC motor passage too. alot of the time the crap builds up enough to keep the throttle plate from returning all the way and the noise never goes away even when warm

#21 ·
Late reply. I am new to the board and just saw this.
I have the same problem. It appears to be something in the ac-heater. I tried closing the air outlet grills on the dash and it quit. So it must be related to air flow.
But I still don't know where the problem is.

#23 ·
hmmm, i've had my truck for 16 years and have never heard this.

#24 · (Edited)
Does it ever get cold in San Diego? When I say cold, I don't mean Cali cold. :laugh: I'm talking below freezing. That's when it happens.

Edit: I read on another forum that some folks believe it is air getting sucked past the two o-rings on the IAC valve during cold weather. This seems the most plausible. Maybe this only happens during the cold weather because the air is thinner???? On mine, it usually happens after 1500RPM. If I immediately let off the throttle, it goes away. It's also intermittent. You cannot do anything specific to make it happen. Very weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.