Dakota Durango Forum banner

Inexpensive mods for your Dodge Truck

104K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  phx 
#1 ·
This thread has been created for people to give suggestions for how to improve the performance or cosmetic appearance of their Dodge Truck for under $50 and a bit of elbow grease.

This thread is dedicated for inexpensive tips - for those of you with "freebie" hints, use this thread instead:
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8011

#2 ·
"Inexpensive performance exhaust" (this is also considered and "off road only" exhaust)

This will work for genII's only to my knowledge and you will need a welder. Purchase a 90 degree mandrel bend, A glasspack (cheap glass pack is what makes this under 50 bucks), A 2.5-2.5 exhaust connector, and a 4 foot length of pipe. Cost just around 50 bucks.

Remove the entire exhaust system including the cat, and muffler, take out the downstream 02 and zip tie it to the frame. spray WD-40 on the hangers to help slide them off. You will need to reuse the hanger under the bed next to the drive shaft. So do not remove that one. If you cut a slit in the pipe connecting to the Y-pipe you should be able to turn it a few times and pull it off.

Cut the 90 degree pipe in the center of the curve so that you have one 45 degree elbow and another 45 degree elbow with a little pipe on the end. Now weld them back together to create and S that will run over top the crossover. Weld your 2.5 exhaust connector to the other side of the s pipe. This will fit over your facotry Y-pipe.

Weld about 1.5 foot section to the S pipe (The side that doesnt have the connector.) After that weld you glass pack. Now take the remaining pipe and weld that too the other end of your glass pack.

Now you are ready to install the new exhaust. Fit the connector over the Y-pipe. And then clamp the pipe after the glass pack to the factory hanger. Then you are done.

This will give some performance increase and will also make your truck sound mean as hell. Any questions?
:biggthump :biggthump

#3 ·
Well it isa cheap mod and it is prolly one of my favorites. Go and get yourself a 180 T Stat.

#4 ·
Cheap? People may HATE on them but they are awesome for the money. If you have alloy rims and want to make the make them look chrome....Chrome wheel skins run you about $40. They look real and unless you know what your looking for, you will never know the dfference.Look on ebay :biggthump

painting, sanding and clearcoat of your interior parts can cost you less than $20-$30.

#6 ·
what kind of hp numbers would you find from installing a 180 stat? if its more than 2 it seems worth the 10 bucks. also how do those 20 dollor glasspacks sound on a v6? im scared of sounding like rice.

#10 ·
redakota said:
what kind of hp numbers would you find from installing a 180 stat? if its more than 2 it seems worth the 10 bucks. also how do those 20 dollor glasspacks sound on a v6? im scared of sounding like rice.
NONE...a t sat is not a way of gaining horse, it will cool your engine down over the 195 (i think?) stock t sat. Keeps the engine cooler...less heat and friction, which equals less wear and tear, which means longer lasting engine... :biggthump

#13 ·
Make your self a grille. Go to home depot and buy some gutter guard and fab up a grille. Very cheap and nice looking mod. There are alot of how to do s on it just have to find them. About $8 to $12

Go and unplug your IAT sensor in the manifold and mount in in a cooler spot. Some ppl say it gives you 5hp it may not but still it may. So to me it is worth a shot. About $10

If you have bigger rims paint your calipers and drums. If you say that is to ricer then paint them black. About $7 for the spray paint or $15 to $20 for a kit. I know from expericence dont buy the caliper paint kit waste of money but just tell you.

Go and get a Brass cap Disitbutor and Rotor. Your stock one is very cheap and will or already has burnt out. Brass is a better conductor so you get a better spark. I have a duralat but Accel is very good to. This is all so a gas saver. This will help your fuel economy a little bit by burnt off more fuel so less is wasted. About $10 for the cap or $20 for the cap and rotor.

Go buy your self some Sea Foam. There are alot of write ups on this product. All it does basically is clean all the carbon out of your motor. Which if you have alot of carbon will yield better performance. You buy one bottle pour about half it the thottle body while your truck is running and then turn it off and let it sit for about 20 mins. Crank it back up a drive it till all the smoke is gone. Which is the carbon burning so dont be alarmed about the smoke.
About $5 to $8 a can.

I hope that gives someone something to do with there truck but for right now thats all. I ll get somemore later. :biggthump

#14 ·
Yellow318 said:
Make your self a grille. Go to home depot and buy some gutter guard and fab up a grille. Very cheap and nice looking mod. There are alot of how to do s on it just have to find them. About $8 to $12
Or if you want the honeycomb effect. Go to Walmart and buy a couple rubber floor mats. Mark them out on the inside of your hood and cut them. I just installed mine with ty-wraps but you can't see the wraps and I'll never have to worry about my grill cracking, bending or looking like shit. Think they were $8 each.

Attachments

#15 ·
Katalyst said:
Or if you want the honeycomb effect. Go to Walmart and buy a couple rubber floor mats. Mark them out on the inside of your hood and cut them. I just installed mine with ty-wraps but you can't see the wraps and I'll never have to worry about my grill cracking, bending or looking like shit. Think they were $8 each.
I don't think i've ever seen that before! Way to be original! Doesn't look half bad either IMO although probably not too noticable unless you are up close to the truck.

#16 ·
A custom intake is the way to go ands its fairly cheap, go get a cone from any auto store and try to pick up some piping from a friend... if not go to a home improvement store and pick up some.

#17 ·
2k1AmberR/T said:
I don't think i've ever seen that before! Way to be original! Doesn't look half bad either IMO although probably not too noticable unless you are up close to the truck.
Funny thing is it actually looks better from far away.
I wanted to go with the style the new F150's have but the cheapest I could find was $90. So I was just walking through wal-mart one day and came across the mats. Deffinately unique......lol!!!

#18 ·
Katalyst said:
Funny thing is it actually looks better from far away.
I wanted to go with the style the new F150's have but the cheapest I could find was $90. So I was just walking through wal-mart one day and came across the mats. Deffinately unique......lol!!!
definitely going to think about doing that. how thick is the mat?

#19 ·
ucimaplaya2 said:
definitely going to think about doing that. how thick is the mat?
about 1/2" thick. You have to make sure you tuck it in nice and tight though. Leaves enough access to get your finger in to open your latch.
Hood opens and closes perfectly and so far everyone who has seen my truck in person asks me where I got my grill.
Want to paint it white but don't think the paint would last to long so think I may just keep it black for now.
I had to use 2 mats cause one was not long enough to go across the whole front so I cut one side out of one mat and the other side from the other then used the left over of each mat to do the bottom section. I got some more pics and can take some install shots if you want to see more.

#24 ·
Here's some cheap mods/repairs to make your truck look and sound better...
#1-- Get some spray paint and paint your inner fenders and liners.
#2-- Get some felt or some soft fabric and go inside your truck and take every screw out you can get to and put a small piece over the screw hole between the part and the mount to reduce rattle and noise.
#3-- Get some windex, no not for your windows, it cleans stains very very well(ALWAYS test in an inconspicuous area first tho).
#4-- Replace any missing screws and tighten any loose ones.

I know these aren't exactly modifications BUT they will make your truck look cleaner and be more quiet when your speakers hit and it will prevent parts flying off...

#27 ·
your local autoparts store, marine store, and even wal-mart should have it. get 2 cans if you want to do a complete treatment...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.